NBD

What's Hot
ICBMICBM Frets: 72254
edited May 2016 in Bass
Yes, I know I said I was quite happy with my Rickenbacker 4001 and I didn't need another bass :). Actually I bought this for my daughter to use, although there's a good chance I will end up playing it as well ;).

Fender 'Pawnshop' Mustang Bass (Mexican).

Many years ago I had an original '73 Mustang Bass in candy apple red with the stripes, which I liked but never quite loved - the sound was a little weak and indistinct, and although it was small and light it was still a bit neck-heavy.

This one is not like that. Firstly it's quite a bit heavier - the body is thicker than the original, and not contoured front or back, so it balances well, and secondly some maniac has stuck the Wide Range Humbucker out of a Telecaster Bass into it…

It sounds *massive*. It's noticeably louder than my Rick - which itself is not a quiet bass - and hugely thick and powerful sounding, so much so that it's best to keep the volume control backed off slightly.

The best thing is that this cost me exactly what I sold the '73 for all those years ago, which in real terms of course means it was much less, and [vintage purists look away now] it's actually a much better bass…

Thanks Jed :D.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7959
    Looks pretty cool actually.  Does it balance well?

As a side note I recently fit no load tone pots and found them a lot more useful than I expected.  Granted I am using steel strings which are brighter to begin with, but the whole voicing seems ever so slightly clearer as well as being brighter (though maybe this is one and the same).  I reckon I'd fit them to any passive bass now, nothing much to lose by doing so as you can still engage the tone pot as necessary.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 921

Looks ace. I have the Mikey Way Squier version. Bit neck divey, but not too bad. Can't really comment on whether it sounds or plays well as I only mess around.

Funnily enough, I have a Rockin' Better too, so I have the snidey versions of your basses.

• Shark_EyesShark_Eyes Frets: 377
    I really wanted one of these when they first came out, I still do.

Excellent buy, could you do some soundclips if possible?
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    Nice, 30" scale presumably helps the balance. Looks like an excellent reggae bass, needs plugging into an Ampeg and some 18" speakers in a wardrobe.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72254
    Looks pretty cool actually.  Does it balance well?
    Yes, because the body is surprisingly heavy - not enough to be uncomfortable though.

As a side note I recently fit no load tone pots and found them a lot more useful than I expected.
    I'm going to fit it with a 'variable treble pass' on the tone control - connecting the treble-pass cap between the unused terminal on the tone pot and the middle on the volume control, so when the tone is up full the treble-pass is active - since even with the volume backed off a bit it's still a little too thumpy really, and a bit of extra brightness when it's like that would be ideal.

I really wanted one of these when they first came out, I still do.

Excellent buy, could you do some soundclips if possible?
    Might be tricky since I don't have a bass amp at home… I'll get the guitarist to record the next practice (he often does anyway) and see how it sounds in a band context. I used it for the practice last night right after I'd bought it, but I hadn't really tuned the amp in for it (still set for the Rick) so it was a bit boomy sounding.

Nice, 30" scale presumably helps the balance. Looks like an excellent reggae bass, needs plugging into an Ampeg and some 18" speakers in a wardrobe.
    Now that is an evil excellent idea... :)

I'm currently using a Peavey 500W 1x15" combo and an Ampeg 4x10" extension cab, but I've always liked 18s. There's one in my rough old Combo 300, but that's for sale in the shop, it's just too much of a pig to carry.

I've also removed the 'finger rest' - which is in a stupid place. Who plays with just their thumb these days? I'm certain my old '73 had it on the other side - still not very useful, but not as bad.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    Noice! 

I really like Mustang basses. They manage to tick all the boxes. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26927
    Excellent!  
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72254
    Updated with a proper pic of the actual one now :).