Is Adam Clayton any good?

What's Hot

Comments

• pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    I would love to get paid fuck-loads for doing next-to-fuck-all. Preferably eight root notes to the bar, but one would be fine. Anybody interested?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ZoonyboyZoonyboy Frets: 165
    Are any of them any good?
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4530
    edited July 2016
    Hell yeah they are. The have some wonderful melodies, well bono and edgey
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72306
    They're all great musicians - both individually, and more importantly as a band. (Even Bono - being a twat in other ways doesn't preclude that.) None of them are virtuosos, but that's not what matters.

It seems to be standard practice for musos to put them down, but I've never once heard any covers band play a U2 song in the style of the original and have it sound remotely right.

You don't sell 170 million albums over the best part of 40 years of songs you wrote and performed yourselves unless you're at least good either.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • garfygarfy Frets: 144
    ICBM said:
    They're all great musicians - both individually, and more importantly as a band. (Even Bono - being a twat in other ways doesn't preclude that.) None of them are virtuosos, but that's not what matters.

It seems to be standard practice for musos to put them down, but I've never once heard any covers band play a U2 song in the style of the original and have it sound remotely right.

You don't sell 170 million albums over the best part of 40 years of songs you wrote and performed yourselves unless you're at least good either.
    To me that's the whole point. He's no Jaco, Bruce, Entwistle etc but he's Adam Clayton, rock solid bassist in one of the biggest bands in the world. Their tunes are known worldwide and at the heart of them is a driving (if simple) bass line that really works.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2236
    I've got most of their albums and seen them live three times. I've also started out playing bass in bands. As stated many Times Mr Clayton plays simple basslines that suit the song and the band and does it well. IMHO the only person who does it better is Derek Forbes. 
  • I used to be a fan of the band, but not these days. However, i've always found Adam not to be someone I personally admire. That's my opinion. NOthing wrong with playing simple lines or anything like that, in fact a couple of his lines are decent (Do You Feel Loved, Lemon). My issue with him is that he just feels like someone who doesn't have a real love of the instrument. He's a little sloppy in places (some weird note choices in Pride mean he's playing B minor over the guitar break that's in B major). That's just my personal opinion, fwiw.
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    edited August 2016
     He's a little sloppy in places (some weird note choices in Pride mean he's playing B minor over the guitar break that's in B major). That's just my personal opinion, fwiw.
    That's an interesting one. That record was produced by Brian Eno, who I believe knows a thing or two about harmony. And from documentaries I know a lot of time was spent developing that song. Do you think the bassline is there by mistake and represents an instance where Adam's lack of care for the music made him make a wrong/ sloppy choice? I'd repeat my challenge from above; what would you change to make that bassline better?

Personally I think it's a very conscious and deliberate choice to introduce tension in the music. I hear that D in the solo section as a very smart move to break up what until that moment has been a very safe harmonic structure.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10404
    Yes the B \ D \ E thing is deliberate I think and only goes to show that the key of a song only gives you a fair indication of what notes are in the song .....

Love his bass on this track

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • Cirrus said:
     He's a little sloppy in places (some weird note choices in Pride mean he's playing B minor over the guitar break that's in B major). That's just my personal opinion, fwiw.
    That's an interesting one. That record was produced by Brian Eno, who I believe knows a thing or two about harmony. And from documentaries I know a lot of time was spent developing that song. Do you think the bassline is there by mistake and represents an instance where Adam's lack of care for the music made him make a wrong/ sloppy choice? I'd repeat my challenge from above; what would you change to make that bassline better?

Personally I think it's a very conscious and deliberate choice to introduce tension in the music. I hear that D in the solo section as a very smart move to break up what until that moment has been a very safe harmonic structure.
    I suspect they didn't realise. You can't really here the D# that's being played because that guitar part is quick and heavily processed. Maybe Eno knew and thought it was all an oblique strategy, who knows.

I don't think Adam knows or knew theory at that time, I doubt any of them really did.

Of course it's entirely subjective, but it's just sloppy IMO.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    edited August 2016
    slacker said:
    I've got most of their albums and seen them live three times. I've also started out playing bass in bands. As stated many Times Mr Clayton plays simple basslines that suit the song and the band and does it well. IMHO the only person who does it better is Derek Forbes Smalls. 
    Fixed the mistake for you 

Edit: strikethrough didn't work for some reason (or the smily).  Probably the ancient decrepit browser at work.
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3494
    edited August 2016
    Adam Clayton's work on Sunday Bloody Sunday is great.  

I forgot how great the guitar solo is on that song.  
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3586
    Much of the time U2 is percussion and Bass with that bloke singing over the top. To be able to support that musically is some party Piece.
    The bands ethos is around spareing instrumantation and The edges technology induced riffs. The band famously decided to get a band together, then learned how to play afterwards.
  • ESBlonde said:
    The band famously decided to get a band together, then learned how to play afterwards.
    A lot of bands were like that. Stooges, Ramones. Okay, two.
  • It gets said but it's often bollocks. The Edge was,  by his own account,  a pretty competent guitarist before U2 started. It gets said about UB40 but the two guys who ended up singing and playing guitar were the sons of a singer-guitarist,  hmmm. I'm prepared to believe it about the Ramones though... 
    ESBlonde said:
    The band famously decided to get a band together, then learned how to play afterwards.
    A lot of bands were like that. Stooges, Ramones. Okay, two.

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6264
    THing that gets me about the "is anyone any good" type discussion is that we can only evaluate the skills in a given context. For example Adam Clayton - he might be the most amazingly talented bass player, with licks aplenty, but has no need to deliver that because of the band he plays in.

The only type of musician who will get to really demonstrate a range of ability and skill is a session player. In a band, you need to deliver what the band need: that might be bang in the pocket simple bass playing.

Stick Adam Clayton in a room and ask him to play something special, he might amaze you. Just cos he doens't need to do it on record, doesn't mean he isn't a great player.

• BB King played some very nice jazz chord work, Hank Marvin and Tony Iommi study gipsy jazz but you gotta play what pays the bills if you are a pro musician. I suspect Adam sleeps well at night, on a big pile of money...
    Snap said:
    THing that gets me about the "is anyone any good" type discussion is that we can only evaluate the skills in a given context. For example Adam Clayton - he might be the most amazingly talented bass player, with licks aplenty, but has no need to deliver that because of the band he plays in.

The only type of musician who will get to really demonstrate a range of ability and skill is a session player. In a band, you need to deliver what the band need: that might be bang in the pocket simple bass playing.

Stick Adam Clayton in a room and ask him to play something special, he might amaze you. Just cos he doens't need to do it on record, doesn't mean he isn't a great player.

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4530
    One would imagine when you play in a band or write a song you do so with your best ability
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6264
    @DesVegas not necessarily at all. I think it depends hugely on what you are writing. I can only use my own amateur (very) experience - but I don't decide to put in a virtuoso performance on each track I record. I set out to record a good track, not to record a showcase of technical skills.

Good job really.....cos I don't have any!!

hence the amateur part!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72306
    Snap said:

I think the records are already enough evidence that he's a great player.

Being a great bass player is more about good timing, groove and tone than it is about flashy technique in my opinion. You can play a very simple part and still fulfil - or not - those conditions. He does, therefore he is.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein