Scale box shapes for open tunings

What's Hot
guitarcookie1guitarcookie1 Frets: 463
We all love/hate the pentatonic box shapes for standard tuning, but do the same patterns exist for open tunings as well?

Is there a good inter web resource for such things?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RockerRocker Frets: 4979
    IMHO there is little point in tuning your guitar to an open tuning and then playing standard tuning chops.  As I see it, open tunings give the guitar a different voice - one that is not easily obtained from standard tuning. My cents worth FWIIW.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3494
    http://www.scalerator.com/

This is the one I use, really good. 
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4630
    edited May 2016
    Rocker said:
    IMHO there is little point in tuning your guitar to an open tuning and then playing standard tuning chops.  As I see it, open tunings give the guitar a different voice - one that is not easily obtained from standard tuning. My cents worth FWIIW.

But music theory still holds when in a different tuning. So a short cut for all the new scale shapes is handy. Especially if you are tuning for blues slide and want to throw in a few standard licks
  • guitarcookie1guitarcookie1 Frets: 463
    Rocker said:

But music theory still holds when in a different tuning. So a short cut for all the new scale shapes is handy. Especially if you are tuning for blues slide and want to throw in a few standard licks
    This is what I'm looking for. My LP junior means I can get open tunings at the press of a button & I want to explore some slide. 

Having some "shapes" for easy reference would be useful. 
  • DulcetJonesDulcetJones Frets: 515
    My "old school" advice:  Draw a fretboard diagram and make several copies.  Then name the open string notes on it for the tuning you want to explore and plot the notes up each string, then identify and circle the patterns. 

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3494
    My "old school" advice:  Draw a fretboard diagram and make several copies.  Then name the open string notes on it for the tuning you want to explore and plot the notes up each string, then identify and circle the patterns. 
    Yep to that.  I met one of my favourite guitarists and his advice was pretty much the above, and memorising the patterns.  
  • guitarcookie1guitarcookie1 Frets: 463
    Old school is often the best :)