NAD: Louis Electric Columbia Reverb

What's Hot
StuartMac290StuartMac290 Frets: 1443
edited May 2016 in Amps
New amp day (kinda - I've had it a few weeks now but wanted to gig it and do a few sessions with it before I commented) - Louis Electric Columbia Reverb. And it's stunning.

It's Lou Rosaro's take on a Princeton Reverb (in fact it was originally called a Princetone, presumably until he got a slap on the wrists from Fender) with a few updates like a 12" speaker, a mid control, and the ability to take 6L6s instead of the 6V6s that are currently in there.

I'd called Doug at Coda Music with a pretty specific set of requirements, and we pretty much narrowed my requirements down to this one amp, at least in theory. Now that I've had it in my grasp for a little time, I can say it's one of the very best amplifiers I've ever played through.

I've had a chance to A-B it with all the studio's favourites, and it's right there at the top of the pile. It's a VERY vintage sound and feel - I've owned a couple of vintage Fenders from the 60s and this really reminds me of them. My current favourite amp for clean sounds and mild break up is my trusty Tone King Imperial, and the Columbia is very similar in a lot of ways, even if it sounds quite different tonally. It handled every guitar I could throw at it beautifully - tele, strat, P90 tele, P90 Les Paul, Gretsch, 335, Ricky 12, Danelectro Baritone - and for one of my favourite sounds (neck humbucker played hard but staying clean) it was probably the best I've heard.

Just like the Imperial, it has a huge but defined and clear bottom end - the Imperial is pretty legendary for sounding far bigger than a 1x12 amp, and the Columbia sounds just the same. The reverb is the best I've heard on any amp, period. The tremolo is beautiful - not quite as deep and choppy as that of the Imperial, but even smoother.

I've been able to compare it directly to some lovely amps and on recordings with others I've owned in recent years - the Imperial, my Carr Sportsman, Black Cat 30, Budda SD45, Redplate CDS2, Lazy J20, Two Rock Studio Pro Plus 35 - and it may well be my favourite amp of all. Just stunning.

If you're after a classic, beautiful blackface thing, you owe it to yourself to try one of these out.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• StuartMac290StuartMac290 Frets: 1443
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BluesyDaveBluesyDave Frets: 410
    Ooooo, lovely collection, congrats on your purchase.  I do like the look (and sound) of the Louis Electric, they do a Deluxe style amp as well I believe.  Quite how you decide which one of those excellent amps to play is beyond me, but it must be a nice dilemma to have.
    No Darling....I've had that ages.
    I usually have 4 or 5 amps rigged up in the studio at once, then just try whatever part it is for whatever song we're doing and go with what sounds most appropriate. More often than not it's a blend - the Imperial and Columbia sound glorious together.
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3812
    Fantastic amp. Very jealous! If you ever want to shift it, you've got a buyer here!
    Unfortunately, I think it would probably be the last amp I'd ever sell! Coda still have one, actually (and now I'm angling for a KR12!)

• mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1057
    Looks amazing, congratulations! When it's studio time, you just need a variety of tones. Looks like a nice selection.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9513
    Fantastic amp collection and the Louis stuff looks amazing. You cannot beat @Dougcoda for the kind of specific help needed to land something like this...

I must try one !
    That red one at Coda looks delicious.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ruomaruoma Frets: 67
    What's the breakup like? My 65 prri sounds kind of fizzy when driven with it's Jensen speaker. Didn't you check out rift amps pr18 too? Sort of the same thing for half the price no?
  • markslade07markslade07 Frets: 833
    ruoma said:
    Didn't you check out rift amps pr18 too? Sort of the same thing for half the price no?
    I've been drooling over Rift's PR18, be interested if there were any comparisons made?
    'Fraid not, guys - I only compared it with amps I already owned in my studio.
    Oh, and the breakup is great. It's a LOUD amp though, so definitely not possible at home levels.
  • edbolivaredbolivar Frets: 153
    @StuartMac290 I totally agree that the Louis amps are amazing. I had seen them at Coda a few times, and finally decided to try one out earlier this year. Ended up with a KR12, swiftly followed by a Gattone. Stopped trying them now as I really don't need to buy another amp...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Ah, I REALLY fancy a KR12. Or maybe a Buster. Will probably trade the Sportsman against one or the other soon.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Yeah. Kr12 looks dangerous!
  • I know this thread is a bit old but wanted to ask @StuartMac290 how is the love for the Columbia - are the 6v6 and 6L6 amps separate amps or can the valves be switched?
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6673
    Yes +1 how are you getting on with the Columbia? Still shining? I have a KR12, that I bought from edbolivar, it's having a tweak at the moment but is truly amazing! 

Let me know if you're interested in it, not that I'm currently selling! 
  • I was using the Columbia yesterday on a session alongside some other favourites, and for rich, warm, sparkling cleans it was in a different league. I absolutely love that amp.

The 6L6 and 6V6 models are exactly the same amp, you just need to rebias for one or the other and there's a bias pot on the back. I may buy another Columbia at some point and keep it fitted with 6L6s.

I was interested in that KR12, but I'd just bought an amp when it went up for sale! Still interested :)
  • So the 4K 8k switch works in both modes - big difference in breakup?
  • @StuartMac - how do you find it compared to the Sportsman mate ?