NAD: Louis Electric Columbia Reverb

What's Hot

Comments

• wellsyboy said:
    So the 4K 8k switch works in both modes - big difference in breakup?
    No, it only works with 6L6s, so I've never tried it 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StuartMac290StuartMac290 Frets: 1428
    edited November 2016
    @StuartMac - how do you find it compared to the Sportsman mate ?
    Aaaaahhh...this will be an unpopular statement, but it absolutely wiped the floor with it. Honestly, just a different league. That's why I sold the Sportsman right away. 

I had the chance to compare them both in the studio and at a gig in a 600-seater venue, and the Columbia was just much bigger, richer, sparklier, and FAR more three dimensional, to the point we put the Carr back in its case and didn't use it. It just sounded really flat and lifeless in comparison. It wasn't subtle. The reverb on the Columbia is better too, and it has THE best trem. 

Don't get me wrong, the Sportsman is a nice amp, but it's nowhere near the Columbia - UNLESS you're only playing at home. The Columbia doesn't do really quiet stuff. I don't play at home much anyway, so for me it was a no-brainer. 
  • You make it sound very seductive.  I may have to give one of these a listen.......Damn!
    No Darling....I've had that ages.
  • ruomaruoma Frets: 67
    Does it have the same 3D-ness as the j20? I've always found the blackface amps Ive tried to sound kind of stiff. The j20, although sometimes a bit mid heavy for cleans, just captivates me with its response. It really breathes with you. I'd love to see a blackface amp react the same way while scooping out some of the mids and remaining fast but 3D and juicy. 
  • ruoma said:
    Does it have the same 3D-ness as the j20? I've always found the blackface amps Ive tried to sound kind of stiff. The j20, although sometimes a bit mid heavy for cleans, just captivates me with its response. It really breathes with you. I'd love to see a blackface amp react the same way while scooping out some of the mids and remaining fast but 3D and juicy. 
    ruoma said:
    Yes precisely my thinking too. I'll be interested to hear the answer / opinion too :)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • I think it's MORE 3D than a J20 in terms of the depth of tone, but it doesn't feel as juicy or saggy. It's a VERY bold, punchy-sounding amp, not much compression at all.

The best blackface-inspired amp I've played with that lovely natural compression is the Bad Cat Classic Deluxe - it has a fair bit of that classic scooped mids blackface thing going on but with a bit more of the Bad Cat compression and chime. The Tone King Imperial has some nice 6v6 compression and sag going on, but its top end is a little more strident.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I've been looking at the Louis electric buster. A great contender as a lazy j20 alternative etc :)
  • I've been looking at the Louis electric buster. A great contender as a lazy j20 alternative etc :)
    I had one for a wee while - it's a fantastic amp. Having had both, I strongly prefer it to the J20 - unless you need low volume, which it simply doesn't do.

I had one for a wee while - it's a fantastic amp. Having had both, I strongly prefer it to the J20 - unless you need low volume, which it simply doesn't do.

Did you try that 4K/8k switch at all @StuartMac290 ; ? Sounds interesting that but not much about it online really 
    edited November 2016
    I haven't, no - I never had 6L6s in it, and it only works with them.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I haven't, no - I never had 6L6s in it, and it only works with them.
    Hmmmm. I can't say with real knowledge but the J20 still seems a bit more versatile with its modules etc. I guess I'm gonna have to try one. 
  • Possibly more versatile - but in all honesty I'm not a huge fan of either the reverb or the trem in it, and I much prefer the core tone of the Buster. It's bigger and has more impact. I did like the VAC a lot on the J20. 
  • Possibly more versatile - but in all honesty I'm not a huge fan of either the reverb or the trem in it, and I much prefer the core tone of the Buster. It's bigger and has more impact. I did like the VAC a lot on the J20. 
    Very tempting to try one when I'm next in Stevenage. Apparently their delivery of them arrives tomorrow ;) May have to sell my Tone King Imperial if its to my liking. Mind you the Tone King will take some beating 
  • I loved my Imperial too, actually - the tweed side as well as there blackface side
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1813
    edited November 2016
    I loved my Imperial too, actually - the tweed side as well as there blackface side
    @StuartMac290 ;I do like tge inperial very much. However, I'm still drawn the that 5e3 classic sound. I'll probably end up selling the imperial and end up with a Louis or similar. As the Louis is differevt enough to be used along side the j20
  • WillEdmundsWillEdmunds Frets: 166
    I'm gradually cottoning on to these amps! I've been a Carr Rambler user for years, but am GAS-ing for a 6V6 amp that sounds much closer to a vintage blackface Fender. If I can sell my Carr Slant 6V (amazing amp but a bit big for my needs, and I don't need 2 channels) I've been seriously considering a Columbia. If it's as good as you say it is it might even usurp the Rambler, which so far is the only amp I haven't considered selling! Interesting that you think it's so much better than the Sportsman. Have you ever compared it with a Rambler? Would you say the Columbia with 6V6s is gig-able with a loud drummer? 

The other amp on my radar is a Morgan SW22R, mainly because I'd ideally like a head & cab setup. I've been a bit put off by their customer service reputation though, and am guessing that it's not going to be such a close sound to a vintage Fender amp...
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3755
    Right. It's been long enough. Who's ready to sell me their Columbia?
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    @Lebarque Sorry Dave, not on your nelly!
    edited March 2017
    I've been seriously considering a Columbia. If it's as good as you say it is it might even usurp the Rambler, which so far is the only amp I haven't considered selling! Interesting that you think it's so much better than the Sportsman. Have you ever compared it with a Rambler? Would you say the Columbia with 6V6s is gig-able with a loud drummer? 

I've never compared it directly, but I DID compare the Rambler when I first got my Tone King Imperial, and I strongly preferred the Imperial (which is why I bought it) and I've had the chance to do the same comparison again a couple of times when people have brought Ramblers into my studio, with the same results. When I got my Columbia, I sold my Imperial.

It's easily giggable with a drummer - I've done it a number of times on decent-sized stages and it's never been above 3-4 on the volume (low-output hum buckers in a 335). That said, we're always miked on stage. But it's LOUD.

The Deltone is the same sort of thing, actually, and more comparable to the Imperial/Rambler, given it's a fairly straightforward Deluxe Reverb-style amp. It's not much more expensive.

My old Sportsman recently came back to the studio for a session, incidentally, and I put it up alongside the Columbia again. Honestly, it's just a different league! Sacrilege around these parts, I know, but I've yet to be blown away by a Carr amp, albeit I've only tried three.
  • WillEdmundsWillEdmunds Frets: 166
    edited March 2017
    @StuartMac290 Thanks for the info. I must try both a Deltone and Columbia! I've been edging towards the Deltone for the extra bit of headroom, but I suppose I've got that covered with my Rambler anyway. I'm confused when faced with a choice between an 18w 1x12 Princeton-type and a 22w 1x12 Deluxe Reverb-type! I've always found both Fender amps to have similar tones, being differentiated more by the different wattages and speaker sizes. Overall I prefer the single channel simplicity of the Columbia - I've never understood the point of having two separate channels (aside from the fact that people used to run multiple instruments though them back in the day).