PA speakers for acoustic gigs?

LongtallronnieLongtallronnie Frets: 1198
Starting to book some solo gigs and while I have access to my old band's PA, I'd like to sort my own set up out - the singer is gigging as well so there's potential for double bookings.

I've got a mixer, mics, leads etc and the band has 3 amps so all I really need is a pair of speakers.

Preferably cheap (under £200 a pair) and easy enough to lift onto stands without assistance. 

Any brands I should check out or avoid?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10404
    There's nothing any good under £200 a pair, any priced that low will have piezo horns and sound terrible

The Fishman SA 220 is great for solo acoustic gigs and go for around £500 2nd hard 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72305
    I've got a pair of little Celestion 1x10" CR102s that I use for that sort of thing. The tweeters aren't piezos, and they also have a HF control so you can adjust them if necessary (sometimes worth having as well as EQ on the desk). They're small, robust, have ply cabinets, and sound "good" if not particularly hi-fi by modern standards. You'd need subs if you were using them for full-band stuff but for a vocal/guitar duo they're fine.

They're long since discontinued but if you can find any they should be well inside your budget, older PA gear doesn't hold its value well.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• LongtallronnieLongtallronnie Frets: 1198
    Cheers, I've possibly got another source where I could borrow some speakers so I won't be spending any more than I have to. The main point of these gigs is to fund more tattoos so every penny counts! :D
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3127
    Get a secondhand pair of HZ HE300's regularly appear on ebay at silly prices and as per Danny;s comment they do have piezo but they are heavily modified so don't exhibit the normal Piezo clank eg http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HZ-He300-/152095398881?hash=item2369979be1:g:CKAAAOSwcl1XPLMm 
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • NewtonNewton Frets: 0
    For fairly small venues I use my Marshall AC30R, great sound and only I piece of kit to hump about.
    I will often 'bug' my guitar and use my old Nady radio mic so there's no mucky muck!
    Because there's only the one cab you have to more careful where you put it. I normally would use a stand or table behind and slightly to 1 side.