Sheet music in Roman numerals

What's Hot
relic245relic245 Frets: 959
Many years ago when I was having some lessons my teacher used to give me music to standards in this kind of notation:

IM7 ii -7 V7 etc

The idea was that if you know your shapes and where the root notes are you can play it in any key.

Do any standards books exist written in this format?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    I've only seen one and that was a French language version.
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9687
    Not really of any use to you but to me that's the "proper" way of writing chords, but that's because I did classical music theory I think
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • vizviz Frets: 10681
    edited May 2016
    That's just normal chord notation. Not so much in TAB maybe because that's key-specific, but in general writing about music. Check wikipedia entry for ii V I for example. It's an extremely helpful way of thinking about chords - in fact it's the basis of harmony.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    Except for the use of capital M (which is an abomination)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • relic245relic245 Frets: 959
    I agree it's a really great way of writing chord progressions. So I wonder why no one has ever done the equivalent of the real book with chords written this way
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16081
    edited June 2016
    All Nashville works on a numbers system - granted that is usually 1,4,5 in some configuration or another ............yeeha
    They use Roman
  • maxdmaxd Frets: 43
    I'd recommend you install iReal Pro, it works on a Mac, on an iPad or any Android device, just not Windoze.  You can download about 3,000 songs from their site for free, and you can easily key in your own chords.  You can choose a song style (anything from bluegrass, through mulitple jazz styles, to reggae).  You can easily transpose to another key, change tempo add repeats, coda, signos etc  Then, to finally get to the point, you can switch the display from chord symbols to numbers.  Oh, and you can display chord grips for guitar or piano.  A google search should find you their site and reviews.  It costs about £9 or so.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28014
    edited June 2016
    It might have meant 1000?

Quite a finger stretch for that.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • maxdmaxd Frets: 43
    Which alternative do you prefer out of interest: Imaj7, I^7, in order to distinguish it from the b7: I7?
  • EvoEvo Frets: 308
    maxd said:
    Which alternative do you prefer out of interest: Imaj7, I^7, in order to distinguish it from the b7: I7?

If they write iim7 then Imaj7, if they write ii-7 then throw the I^7 in there. That's always how I've done it