Have you played a Martin D-28 Authentic 1941 (VTS)

Hey all,

I posted a topic in the general forum a while back, but I meant to post here. I wonder if you have ever played one of the new D28 Authentics, particularly the 1941 with VTS?

They are so hard to find on this side of the Atlantic, without committing a dealer to order one in from the US.

I would love one, but am worried about having my local dealer order one in and me not liking it.

Have you ever played one? The guys in the states rave about them, but of course they are a very patriotic bunch, so there might be a slight bias here!

Thanks

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• AliGorieAliGorie Frets: 308
    buckfast said:

Hey all,

D28 Authentics, particularly the 1941 with VTS?

Have you ever played one? The guys in the states rave about them, but of course they are a very patriotic bunch, so there might be a slight bias here!
    Thanks
    yeah, played two ‘D’s - like u say they have been making a big hoo ha bout these things so I made a point of checking ‘em out.
    A D-28 and a D18 Authentic,
    where do I begin with this one ?.
    That day I tried Bourgeois, Lowdens and a few other bits and pieces so I was in an open minded state of mind.
    Well, I’ll say this as simple and straight forward as possible if you don’t mind.
    I was left with the feeling that had I been blindfold and handed the guitars the two ‘retro’ Dreads were about the least outstanding of that day. And a 5 - 6K - hmm, I think you might have to be American to buy into that level of delusion.
    A real 'blindfold' test would be interesting for you to try.
    but I cant talk or think for you - y'll need to give 'em a go
  • AliGorieAliGorie Frets: 308
    a thread about these guitars b/s wood by some knowledgable folks.

http://theunofficialmartinguitarforum.yuku.com/topic/179324/MRW-quality-on-Authentics#.V0tTaWZft3k
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    Martin's do vary.  I'm not sure I've ever played a bad one in their more expensive ranges but some are a lot better than others.

When you get a good one they are spectacular.  I played a new D42 a while back that was absolutely stunning.  One of the top 2 or 3 acoustics I've ever played.

It's not just Martin though.  Years ago someone let me have a play on his Santa Cruz pre-war D and was blown away by it.  I went out to try and find one for myself but the others I played in shops were just not as good.

The other thing is that they don't always sound at their best when they are new.  My Martin was good when it was new but it wasn't one of those that sounds like a cannon - it just sounded really well balanced.  Fast forward 8 or 9 years and it has opened up and really sounds stunning.