Brace Yourself... NAD

What's Hot

Comments

• dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    @teetonetal not wishing to clog up or derail this thread but I think I'm going to give s-gear a go. I like the fact that it's not overloaded with a million amps and effects but instead seems to concentrate on quality and I need a headphones solution with a new baby in the house!

And Happy New Amp day Waz, a real surprise this one!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Actually one of my best practicing setups in recent years was an old Roland cube. The plexi setting with a delay (pretty much my go to standard) scratched all my EJ needs .....
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72255
    It's the 2 channel mix (same with the Yamaha THR 100) that works SO well.
    Maybe this is the key…

Valve amps always sound clean *and* distorted at the same time when they're overdriven, to me - unless they're really very high-gain. The two sounds blend perfectly but both are present. The problem I've always had with solid-state overdrive is that the two sounds never blend properly - you can hear them as separate, the distortion sitting on top of the clean like a buzzy speaker. Deliberately mixing clean and dirty (eg Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive) is even worse.

But the Yamaha didn't seem to do that when I tried it - the clean and distortion blended like one sound, whether it was one of the channels or both together, and you could get that valve-like transition from clean to dirty with your playing dynamics, with no sense of a sudden step or a buzz on top of the note when it clipped… just like a good valve amp.

I'll have to try one of these Rolands now too. I must admit I've been put off bothering by the ordinary Cubes (which sound sterile and artificial to me) and that last series of modellers they did with the orange bit on the front, which were truly awful.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9514
    edited May 2016
    @teetonetal - a good post mate, and wisdom awarded.

@ICBM - maybe you have something there mate (about the blend). Listen, we all loved a cranked valve amp - its what we search for all the time.

My reference sound (or one of them !) is the King Snake one shown below.

Now, in the booth at PMT and playing pretty but not too loud, I compared the 100HD, Blues Cube, and the Mesa Express 25 plus. Now, sure enough, the Mesa sounded very good (this model in particular sounds better and is easier to dial in than the MK Vs, imho) and maybe 'fuller' than the Digitals...

But then i tried to copy the sounds; im sure that the Yammy will do this, but the BC dialed in instantly and instinctively. Wham. THAT King Snake sound...

I found that wattage selector very instinctive too. Get your clean right (one knob !), increase the master, drop n the boost, touch more hair, drop the master... Repeat on crunch channel... Then hit the 'dual' button and blend via volume the two. Superb.

It seems very well thought out. They even supply a set of stickers to add to the additional pedal should you pay the extra and buy one. Nice.

(As an aside, I do have a soft spot for this Mesa Express model and may yet get a used one...)

• GassageGassage Frets: 30882
    @wazmeister

You make out you're a big fan of Trannies yet where were you for Gay Pride last night when La Voix and The Dame Eda Experience were on?

I call bullshit.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 2016
    I should be on commission ! I know a couple of you have ordered one already (and someone the excellent THR to try).

Now, Stage vs Artist model ? Well, sound wise there is very little difference, and the Stage is even smaller physically. Maybe the larger cab of the Artist adds a wee bit 'more'. I did try the 2x12, but I felt it lacked a bit of the sweetness.

For me, the extra presence knob really adds something, and I wanted the effects loop and the full foot-switch options.

You see guys, money was not an object here tbh. I'd just been trailing the £2000 Carr, and that was my budget I guess... so Im as shocked as you.

And it looks the cobs. I mean here, its sitting alongside the Rambler !

edited May 2016
    Gassage said:
    @wazmeister

You make out you're a big fan of Trannies yet where were you for Gay Pride last night when La Voix and The Dame Eda Experience were on?

I call bullshit.
    Mate, have you seen what my nails were like ?? Shameful. I couldn't face it...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I've just duplicated those 'King Snake' tones, with about 45 secs dialing in. 

15 watts, 2 bedroom house, neighbours in next door.

Incredible.
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1057
    No valves - no hope.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6123
    tFB Trader
    I don't suppose you tried the smaller blues cube hot?
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    edited May 2016
    ThorpyFX said:
    I don't suppose you tried the smaller blues cube hot?
    Ade, I didn't to be fair, but I think @koss59 has the 'hot' model...
  • koss59koss59 Frets: 846
    Yeah I've got the Hot as I mainly wanted something small for home use and the odd rehearsal. I also have a Rambler and have been a bit of a valve snob in the past. The blues cube has changed my enjoyment of playing at home as it sounds the same at any volume. It also feels really valve like to play through. I've used it at rehearsals with a drummer in 5 watt mode and gigged it at a garden party yesterday in 5 watt mode. Sounded great for everything, as good as the Rambler?........no but would I want the Rambler in someone's back garden with the chance of it pissing it down, no. It is however better than the Rambler at proper low volume practice levels.
    Facebook.com/nashvillesounduk/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2193
    You've got my interest now. I'm definitely going to try one.

My Hotrod Deluxe is too heavy for me (at about 45lbs) and my Victory V40 alternative isn't ideal because I need a separate cab. On paper (at 35lbs) the Artist 1x12 combo seems ideally, provided it has the clean sound I need for live gigs and it works well with pedals.

It's not a competition.
    koss59 said:
    Yeah I've got the Hot as I mainly wanted something small for home use and the odd rehearsal. I also have a Rambler and have been a bit of a valve snob in the past. The blues cube has changed my enjoyment of playing at home as it sounds the same at any volume. It also feels really valve like to play through. I've used it at rehearsals with a drummer in 5 watt mode and gigged it at a garden party yesterday in 5 watt mode. Sounded great for everything, as good as the Rambler?........no but would I want the Rambler in someone's back garden with the chance of it pissing it down, no. It is however better than the Rambler at proper low volume practice levels.
    Really interesting thoughts from Rich; remember, this guy is a working musician (recently working with The Three Degrees no less) and humble about his exploits...

I like to think I've had enough experience of good amps and sounds, so this is some recommendation from the pair of us !

The Solid State/Digital market is clearly gonna grow when they sound like this...

The Yammy 100HD was very impressive too, and it is quite a challenge on our thinking...
  • kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    @wazmeister. These look great. Might give one a blast. Does it play nicely with the FX8?
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    kjdowd said:
    @wazmeister. These look great. Might give one a blast. Does it play nicely with the FX8?
    Kev, thus far I've only plugged it in the front end and not 3CM... and it sounds mega.

I must say, rarely for me, I do like the in amp verb...
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    Is there any appreciable difference in tone between the Stage and the Artist?

I'm still struggling a bit with the price, it is still a Chinese made solid state amp at a similar price point to Mexican made Fender valve amps.

Still interested though.........
    @richardj - no real noticeable difference in tone mate, to my ears.

By the way, I've never played a Mexican Fender amp that can make these sounds at home volumes.

But try one Rich, and see how it sounds to you :)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72255
    That King Snake clip is one of the best sounds I've ever heard from a guitar amp, so if the Roland can do that, you really have my full attention. Even my Trem-o-verb can't quite get it...

If the Roland can sound like the Trem-o-verb as well it really will be a whole new world. The THR could get very close.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I tried the blues cube 'hot' and thought it sounded superb. Cracking amps. Roland make awesome stuff imo