Bodging Together a Leftie...

What's Hot
My brother fancies playing Rocksmith - but he's left handed.  And whilst I have a few guitars, none of them are lefties.  Knowing how easily he loses interest, it won't be worth buying him a new guitar...

I have a couple of guitars I don't use that are perhaps a good basis for flipping over, and then if he doesn't like guitar, I can flip it back again.

One is a Satellite LP copy, and the other is a Marlin SG copy.  Neither of them have eletrics that work at the moment.  I'm leaning toward using the Marlin, as although the pots are knackered, it at least has some pickups in it.

Is it as simple a case as taking the nut out and flipping it over?  Tips and hints very much appreciated...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• NPPNPP Frets: 236
    edited December 2013
    As a leftie, I'd say Fenders make a better base for flipping over than Gibson-style guitars. On the latter, the saddle is asymmetrical and you'll probably need to cut a new one. The bridge is angled and you may be unable to get the intonation right after flipping. None of this will be a problem with Fender-style guitars. That said, Hendrix occasionally played flipped LPs and Flying Vs so it must be possible. 

Between the two guitars, the double-cut SG is obviously easier to play once flipped than the LP, and it doesn't require a new or relocated strap pin. 

• frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    If he's not played before - make sure he needs a lefty guitar ;) ... you'll be saving him about 20% on every guitar purchase after that!

Where abouts are you based? I've a lefty squire I don't need in the garage :)
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • RoxRox Frets: 2147
    He assures me he can't use a right handed one...!  But he can bat right handed when playing cricket.  :D

I'm in Northants, but he's in Leicestershire.
  • frankus;115266" said:
    If he's not played before - make sure he needs a lefty guitar ;) ... you'll be saving him about 20% on every guitar purchase after that!

Where abouts are you based? I've a lefty squire I don't need in the garage :)
    Arguably, a lot of lefties I know learned right handed and picked up legato technique much faster because of it.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72306
    You can't flip the nut - even on a Fender, if it's been cut properly so the grooves slope down away from the fingerboard. You'll need to make a new one.

You might get enough travel in the bridge to reverse the intonation - although you'll probably have to take the saddles out and reverse them as well.

As already said, the SG is a far better candidate for a lefty conversion than the LP. The controls will still be in the way of his arm though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    Errr, I've got a lefty Pacifica 112 currently stowed at a mates place in Brum that I don't really need. Electrics need looking at but if that's any good Maybe we could do a deal ?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom