Are wireless guitar transmitters a waste for pub gigs?

What's Hot
DavusPGDavusPG Frets: 451
It's entirely possible that this is simply GAS but how many of you regular pub giggers use a wireless pack rather than a lead?

Having very nearly gone arse over tit on my own lead the other night I can see there are benefits even if you're not playing at the O2.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10404

I used a Sennheiser one for about 6 gigs, did the old walk around the pub playing and then realized it was a bit pointless as if you leave the stage the audience doesn't know where to look, they can hear you but can't see you ....... then you have the hassle of batteries going flat mid gig. So I went back to a cable ....... most of the gigs I play I'm only 3 foot in font of my amp, even the 5m lead I use is half redundant :)
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • DavusPGDavusPG Frets: 451
    Yup I thought as much...Thanks mate
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3672
    I use a Smoothound wireless system for all our pub gigs. It does free you up, especially in the smaller pubs where your cable can get snagged. Also, with some of the dodgy electrical sockets I have seen, I'm happy not to be linked directly to the mains.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    DavusPG said:
    It's entirely possible that this is simply GAS but how many of you regular pub giggers use a wireless pack rather than a lead?
    Line 6 G30 every gig - pub or stadium. 
    Two utterly brilliant points about wireless:
    1)  as @vasselmeyer has said, no matter how shit the pub electrics are as you watch your amp go up in smoke you are NOT connected to disaster via a big ferkin' instrument cable with six wires under your sweaty hand(s) only a short armful away from your ticker and brain. 

2)  when you want to run over to the other side of the stage (all of four paces away), just to say hello to the bass player in a theatrical kind of way, your f*cking ***** singer will not trip over your lead.  In fact you may have to hop off the stage then hop back on again over the other side because your f.i. singer is doing the entire gig with his eyes closed so he's unable to pick up cues from you, the bass player, or anyone at all. 

Line 6 G30.  Two AA batteries from Costco = 40p = two gigs.

Totally worth it IMO.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • nick79nick79 Frets: 254
    Yeah i use wireless now for every gig, was always tripping over my lead and i like the freedom of being able to wander around if i want to. Plus the points above about not being electrocuted... However small the risk. 

I use a cheap AKG set that cost me about £60, it does change my tone slightly but nothing i can't dial out. Wouldn't go back now. 
    Ok that's interesting and something I hadn't considered.

At our gig at the weekend everything: amps, pedalboards, PA, electric drum kit, mixer etc etc all came from a single plug and half a dozen extension sockets so not exactly the safest environment.

I do like the idea of the (limited cos of space) freedom and more importantly not being at risk from tripping.

I'd also like to be out on the floor when we sound cheek so I can hear what the audience will. Admittedly I could buy a long cable for that though.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    I keep thinking about one : less tripping up and I could hear the band from out front. Unlike Danny we don't use a sound guy so I've little idea how arse or otherwise we sound out front. I am tied to the mic a bit but not that much. Some places are so small I'd just get out front to stretch my legs from time to time.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • IanpdqIanpdq Frets: 131
    I use a Smoothound wireless system for all our pub gigs. It does free you up, especially in the smaller pubs where your cable can get snagged. Also, with some of the dodgy electrical sockets I have seen, I'm happy not to be linked directly to the mains.
    I have this one and its excellent for the price http://www.smoothhound-innovations.com/

• John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    edited June 2016
    For reasons above they are brliant wouldn't be without one now. Also means you can have a wander out front for the sound check ;)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72306
    DavusPG said:
    At our gig at the weekend everything: amps, pedalboards, PA, electric drum kit, mixer etc etc all came from a single plug and half a dozen extension sockets so not exactly the safest environment.
    Although it's a common belief that this isn't a good idea, actually running everything from a single socket is the safest approach if the total current draw for the band is less than 13A (it usually will be) - because that way you can't have a live earth fault on one piece of equipment at the same time as a good earth on another, which is the most dangerous situation.

But wireless is stil safer no matter what.

Not tripping over cables or snagging them on things and pulling amps over or breaking plugs and sockets is a good reason too. One of the most common amp repairs I get is damaged input jacks because the cable has been trapped and then stood on, and pulled down hard on the jack.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4436
    Would love to try but don't know what the best one is, how good it is etc.
  • PlectrumPlectrum Frets: 494
    A friend of mine has just bought one of the new little Line 6 ones that uses wifi. It works really well in a pub-sized environment. In fact he tested it by going out of the pub and playing from the other side of the road and it was still fine. He's got me tempted now....
    One day I'm going to make a guitar out of butter to experience just how well it actually plays.
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    edited June 2016
    Wireless systems just feel great to use even if you're not running up and down wembly stadium. Being tethered to your pedals and constantly tripping over your cable is a pain in the arse.

I had a line 6 g30 which had good sound quality but the battery door kept falling open, also an AKG one which had less good sound (it added a bit of high frequency hiss).  I'm intersted in the g10.
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1993

use a line6 G50 live.

I move around a lot.

Not snagging cables on mic stands, boards, monitors, the bloody singers feet = godsend.

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    edited June 2016
    sgosden said:

Not snagging cables on mic stands, boards, monitors, the bloody singers feet = godsend.

This !

Although with the guitar wireless transmitter in one back pocket, and the wireless IEM receiver in the other - get a good belt ! ;)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    Tight spaces with lots of cables can be a nightmare - I am quite tidy with mine but using a Line 6 G30 is great - safety is one thing but getting out front to listen to the FoH sound is awesome - really hearing the mix helps.

I use mine at rehearsal too! Rechargeables in the G30 are not always a great idea - a proper set will last a few gigs. The door on it is a bit flimsy but I've never had an issue. If batteries do go flat...put the cable back in...:p
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2398
    Line 6 G70 - wouldn't ever be without it.

Not only is there no cable to trip over, but it adds to teh spectacle and showmanship when you can go into the crowd and solo on/behind the bar - or, as I do, go out one door, walk around outside, and come back in the other door to the pub. Hell, even just going into the pub garden and saying hello to people gets a great reaction when using wireless!

And just use rechargeable batteries - much more efficient :)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    OK I'm sold!

I'm thinking Line 6 G30 or G50 from what I've read.

I have all my cables from the amp to my board super neat in a heavy duty cable sleeve and long leads so that's never an issue for me, what is are other guys in the band stepping on the lead from my guitar to the board.

We are also using wired iems now which is another shed load of cables and another disaster waiting to happen.

As touched upon in the current IEM thread there's no way the guys in my band will shell out for a digital desk.

Being able to stroll out into the room for soundcheck will be fab
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3672
    @DavusPG before you buy a Line 6, do yourself a favour and check out the Smoothhound Classic. Made in the UK and a top piece of kit.
    OK will do