Critter & Guitari - Organelle

What's Hot

I skimmed the video and didnt really understand what it was at first.

Basically its just a little programmable music computer, you can load effects/synth pathes or build them yourself. 

I kinda want one and 499 dolla isnt that much really.
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Looks awesome!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6101
    Looks like the sort of thing that disappears a weekend with no discernible outcome!
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    $499 not a lot??????? I want to live in your world.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    edited June 2016
    Compared to say, the amount people spend on a strymon reverb or something, which is nice but ultimately just makes reverb.

Or to buying a laptop and interfaces to make music on.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    hugbot said:
    Compared to say, the amount people spend on a strymon reverb or something, which is nice but ultimately just makes reverb.

Yeah but in all fairness you can do a million other things with a laptop!
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3488
    axisus said:
    hugbot said:

Yeah but in all fairness you can do a million other things with a laptop!
    I think the Organelle looks like really good value for what it is for just under £400.  (made in the USA too)

It's a sampler/synth/effects unit. The closest thing I can think of in comparison to it is the Teenage Engineering OP-1, which is almost twice the price.  

If you think how much an Eventide H9 is, the Organelle IMO is a bargain. 
  • lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940
    I like that. I like that a lot.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • toescantalktoescantalk Frets: 142
    edited June 2016
    I've added a video of a patch on the Organelle showing it's effect potential.

Let me know if you've got any questions as I've had the Organelle a few months now and I think I'm getting the hang of it now :)
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I've added a video of a patch on the Organelle showing it's effect potential.

Let me know if you've got any questions as I've had the Organelle a few months now and I think I'm getting the hang of it now :)
    Nice!  Thanks for posting it. 

How have you found the Organelle's learning curve?  Are the stock patches decent enough? How tricky is it to use PD to programme your own patches?  What's the build quality like as well? 

If I can cobble together some pennies I might try to get one before the end of the year. 

How have you found the Organelle's learning curve?  
    Pure Data is really cool language as you can easily nick other people's stuff and just edit it initially and then start adding more stuff as you get to grips with it. Putting a few effects and stuff even in help patches in PD can lead to stuff like posted above.

I've been using for several months and really like the wooden keys. Only niggle is slight noise plugging guitar directly in (but I did wire this guitar myself!) and can't hear it when playing so hasn't held me back.

Another option to this is getting a Raspberry Pi and putting Pure Data on it. But you need an interface, keyboard etc and wouldn't be as compact or easy to use as this.

I've been using for several months and really like the wooden keys. Only niggle is slight noise plugging guitar directly in (but I did wire this guitar myself!) and can't hear it when playing so hasn't held me back.

Another option to this is getting a Raspberry Pi and putting Pure Data on it. But you need an interface, keyboard etc and wouldn't be as compact or easy to use as this.

Cheers for the info. 

No inclinations to use a computer for music making!  I'm intrigued by the Organelle's sampling and synth abilities, I really like the sounds which Knobs made in the video.  If I can make that kind of stuff I'd be happy! 
    I really like the sounds which Knobs made in the video.  If I can make that kind of stuff I'd be happy!  
    3 of the user patches on that are my faffing around in pure data. Cool to see them being used in a Knobs video!

The list of patches you can just upload are on Critter & Guitari site as well as user ones on patchstorage.com. I might do some more lesser quality videos at some point just to show what some of the patches can do.
  • Resurrection shuffle!

I'm sorely tempted by this. I was looking at one or two effect pedals as a "Xmas / stop drinking to save money" present, but DV247 have these with 18 months interest-free finance.

How does this go in the effects loop of my guitar amp? Via one of the 1/4" outs, and does it matter which one? Or via the 1/8" stereo into a 1/4" summed mono type thing, if such a thing is possible?

Cheers!
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • wave100wave100 Frets: 150
    Sounds interesting - there are other granular samplers out there to check out though that don't require you to learn a programming language to use them, http://www.bastl-instruments.com/instruments/microgranny/ for example. I'm tempted to buy one just because of the name! Personally I use the ipad app Samplr for fucking up samples, it's great fun and is touch tastic - and doesn't cost much...
  • Interesting. Funnily enough, I wasn't sure how much I'd use the Organelle as a synth, so that microgranny looks like a contender.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9444
    edited June 2020
    These look amazing.

Anyone own one ?
  • brucegillbrucegill Frets: 710
    edited June 2020
    These look amazing.

Anyone own one ?
    I’ve been looking at the V2. Looks really interesting and fun
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7670

Can you run guitar/synth/etc. through it like the V1?
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • dangriffithsdangriffiths Frets: 562
    I had a v1 for quite a while - very cool device and the v2 seems to improve on it and have battery power.  A lot of fun and you can still run devices through it.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9444
    I had a v1 for quite a while - very cool device and the v2 seems to improve on it and have battery power.  A lot of fun and you can still run devices through it.

The V2 is much superior and I have one.

Really helped and initiated a lot of songwriting.

I might sell mine, as there are none available at the minute, and Tele gas is strong. =)