SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Anyone fix car radios?

57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7332
edited December 2013 in Misc £
The built-in Clarion CD Radio unit in my Suzuki Grand Vitara is dead... And Yes I checked all  fuses(!)... so as it is part of the dash moulding need to get it looked at rather than just get an alternative. Thing is - who these days repairs Car Radios?? cheaply!

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

Comments

• DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3876
    Not an option to find a second hand drop in replacement?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bazxkrbazxkr Frets: 613
    Yeh, go s/h replace or aftermarket upgrade. Not easy to find people to repair stuff like this nowadays.

Think you have to remove the two vertical side trims either side of the centre console  and then remove that whole facia disconnecting the stereo plugs as well as the air con & hazard switch plugs from the back. Then you have the whole unit out & just unscrew the fixings and the stereo slides out of the cage. Replacement is just reverse. Pretty straightforward if you can find alternative working one on ebay or breakers yard.
    Good luck 
    Cheers
    Baz

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17589
    tFB Trader
    I looked into this for my car and for a lot of cars it appears that you can get some kind of tool that will pop the stereo out and then you can buy a mounting bracket to replace it with something else. 

No idea if that's how it works in a VItara, but Halfords offer it as a service so you could ask them.
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5460
    £80

Google how to remove it.

I've just taken the factory stereo out of my Focus to retrofit an AUX in kit. Kit cost £10.95 from eBay!

I've changed the factory stereo to a Sony upgrade in a previous Focus too. Just Google it!
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7332
    Cheers all... yes I had looked on ebay before but they are a bit pricey and I also have the gen on how to get it out the dash... I thought maybe a fix of around £50 might be a better bet. I think it shorted when the vehicle was standing fora few weeks through last winter's wet spell...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • Replacement from a scrappy?

• Not sure on your location but I know of somewhere in North Yorkshire...
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7332
    @Panama - PM any dets if you could...

@guitarcookie1 - ppl want silly money for a 'scrappy' unit! Actually they aren't scrappies - they sell them on when have a big Dash mounted Sat Nav/entertainment unit!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>