Gearing up on slide playing - what to play/where to focus ?

What's Hot
2014 is going to be the year of getting properly on top of slide.  

During Christmas I put a set of Not Even Slinky 12-56 on one of my Teles and already see I should have bought a lighter bottom end as E and A are sitting on top of the nut. Figure that doesn't matter much, in fact it has lifted the strings nicely.  Might convert back so not going to re-cut.

Don't favour any particular type of slide music but as a first-level  objective simply want to get to the point where I can put some slide into the set and not be embarrassed.  Michael Messer is the UK master, but obviously this is not a resonator and getting on top of Delta Blues is not a priority (it might be one day).  Like Roy Rogers and Eric Sardinas but am unlikely to become a dedicated slider. I suppose really I'm aiming at tasteful bluesy licks as performed by Mick Taylor and Warren Haynes (both of whom use standard tuning). 

More or less got the technique down - obviously it will improve and find I am comfortable with 2nd, 3rd or 4th fingers. But which is best to develop? It may be a matter of taste, but which will allow maximum versatility (eg if I want to pick as well) ?

Also aware that there are various open tunings which can be used, would it be better to start with one as the basis for learning the rest ? 
"Nobody needs more than 20 strats." Mike Landau
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 9986
    edited December 2013 tFB Trader
    I use slide on my little finger (I'm not an American so I refuse to say 'pinky'). There's the most versatility that way.
    I started years ago ripping off Elmore James ... after reading an interview where my hero George Thorogood said he owed it all to Elmore :)
    Watch your intonation and learn good vibrato ... so many dabbling slide players have a sh-te vibrato.

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• slide on ring finger for me, intonation needs to be spot on over the fret not in the middle, and listen to beefheart lol
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11790
    edited January 2014
    My advice is Get a nut riser, buy a £20 shubb tone bar (SP1 I reckon, from Amazon), and play it on your lap. I do subtle vibrato by rocking (rolling) the tonebar instead of always sliding it

Open D and Open G are the most popular I think
    To get a real different sound, tune to C6, much more of a country or even Jazz vibe

Think about getting 1 or 2 compressors to use (or if you have one, add a second one set to max sustain, no attack)
    see the Pete Thorn demo of the SlideRig to see why

IMO lap steel with a tone bar will be much more of a contrast during a set, and gives a full tone hard to get near with a bottleneck played upright 

if it works out, you can get a very compact lap steel cheap, tell me if you need one
  • Bugger I just sold my last compressor ! My bandmate has a lap steel but that's not what I'm after. C6 tuning sounds interesting.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 9986
    tFB Trader
    I use A (same picking as G) and E tunings as well ... there are loads of things to try once you get your hand in. Listen to some Hawaiian lap steel too ... that got me into 'angling' the bottle or bar to produce 7th etc.
    My mate has a dirt cheap P90 equipped 'Junior' copy that he paid £90 on flea bay for. Something about P90s that sound awesome for slide.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16254
    I used to have my tele with a highish action and in open G. Instead of just using it for a couple of token slide tunes in the set I could also use it for a couple of Stonesy type things.

It tends to be perceived wisdom that you should learn to damp like crazy but there is little damping in the rawer stuff so its good to be able to be able to use it or not.

IIRC Mick Taylor did a tuitional video on his style, including slide in standard. Looks- yep it is on DVD now ( and has one review by a crazy person on amazon).
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Bugger I just sold my last compressor ! My bandmate has a lap steel but that's not what I'm after. C6 tuning sounds interesting. Will look for the Mick Taylor DVD.
  • BasherBasher Frets: 1199
    I'd have just stuck with standard strings and standard tuning if you want to do Warren Haynes / Mick Taylor style stuff.
    You can easily go into open E with normal strings so that would take you into Duane Allman and (God forbid!) Derek Trucks territory.
    Dunno about which finger is best for the slide. I use my ring finger because it's what Duane, Warren, Derek etc use and if it's good enough for them.
    A couple of surprisingly good slide players who don't get much of a mention for it are Jeff Beck and Ritchie Blackmore (probably due to the pyrotechnics in their ordinary playing).

• GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4028
    Slide was always a dark art to me until I saw a really good article and vids in that interactive guitar magazine thing that Lick Library produce.  Mike Caswell was the bloke doing the article.

The gist of it and the breakthrough for me was using a light, glass slide cos that works well with guitars with low action, and to use a short slide rather than a long one. 

Definitely happy playing like that.
  • SetzerSetzer Frets: 37
    edited January 2014
    I have dabbled with slide and after using a few full size slides I ended up using one of these and they are a great job.

Valar Morghulis
  • furtherfurther Frets: 88
    Where did you buy it?
    I bought it through Will Rays site, unfortunately it does come from the States but its no major hassle getting it sent and no import taxes as its not expensive.
    Valar Morghulis
  • furtherfurther Frets: 88
    Thanks 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16254
    Setzer;139965" said:
    I have dabbled with slide and after using a few full size slides I ended up using one of these and they are a great job.

I had forgotten those, I have a mate who swears by it.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    They really are a terrific job and well worth trying one for all they cost. They adjust to fit your finger perfectly and stay there without any movement and once you adjust it to suit you then anytime you use it it slips straight on to the same position every time without having to mess about with it.

The biggest benefit to me is that I dont have to change my playing style at all to be able to use a slide as it doesn't hinder your finger at all plus its amazing how quickly you can pop in a bit of slide when you play,even being able to play fast runs and put a bit of slide in the run because of how light it is.

Check out Will's playing in some of the Hellecasters videos online and you will see how good you can get with it.

Valar Morghulis
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    I took a Will Ray's idea one step further and had my ring finger chromed.
  • octatonic said:
    I suppose that's better than having your ring chromed.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    octatonic said:
    I suppose that's better than having your ring chromed.
    Boom and tish. ;)