Gibson 2015/2016 acoustics

ash96ash96 Frets: 61
Right, we all know he 2015 electric left a lot to be desired, not sure what thoughts are on the 2016 ones.

what's the general concerns us on the 2016 acoustics?

Really like the look of the new 2016 hummingbird! https://www.gak.co.uk/en/gibson-acoustic-2016-hummingbird-pro-cutaway-vintage-sunburst/119126#

I know a lot of people will say go try one out, but it's also hard to pick up every little thing that. Kill be a problem when you play it for a bit in a shop.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    edited June 2016
    I have tried a few Gibson acoustics in the past, and by and large I've liked the ones I've played, especially J-45s.

I always think they're crazily expensive though.

If it were me thinking of splashing that kind of cash I'd simply have to play it first. Then again, with distance selling regs being what they are, that's not so much of a problem these days.

• ash96ash96 Frets: 61
    Yeah I'm Gonna try them out, I just don't know too much about them and if they're any good, or if, like current electrics, that the current ones aren't necessarily as good as the same model from a few years ago.

Of if they've changed any parts that people done like!
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    I've never got that impression.

As far as I can see they don't feel too much of an urge to reinvent the wheel with their acoustics. They do some nice stuff.
  • ash96ash96 Frets: 61
    Yeah just seen an ad for a vintage sunburst hummingbird that looks amazing! And they do finance haha
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26941
    A lot of Gibson acoustics are quite meh and a lot of them are also a bit overpriced but my '14 Dove is a hell of a good guitar.

Don't buy unseen. You need to try loads and buy the one that jumps out at you.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • songmansongman Frets: 5
    I just got me a J45 Standard Vintage Sunburst 2016. In the shop they had another J45 from 2015 and a True Vintage J45 also from 2015. There is not really much of a price difference between the Standard and the TV, so price was not a consideration. What was, was the fact that the 2016 simply was so much better than the other two. Full deep basses, nice ringing mids and round clean highs. I do not know if the 2016 improvements as announced on the Gibson website have anything to do with it, but in my case the 2016 was the very clear winner. Several people in the shop stopped and listened when I was playing that guitar. Couldn't be happier.
  • TCatTCat Frets: 26
    horribly expensive, but if you want it....you just have to have it ! I tried a 2016 j45 and reckon it was the best acoustic I've ever played (inc. 2 martins and a top end Yamaha)...........tone, playability, looks........everything.. I imagine most of 2016 range is up there with the best. ....................even though I had the money, I found a shop in Epsom that does buy now pay later at zero % .......a great way to buy gear if you are sure you'll be able to pay inside 12 months.