Piano tuning, can it be done by an amateur?

What's Hot

Comments

• sgosdensgosden Frets: 1993
    Sassafras said:
    sgosden said:

((Effort + time) / cost ) x likelyhood of me fluffing it up = get a man in

I'm going to be really disappointed if the bloke isn't a jazzy old guy with sunglasses and a black hat on

If you're expecting Ray Charles, forget it.

exactly who I was hoping for*, then me and all the street can go outside and twist again, like we did last summer!

*I am very aware of the impossibility of this,

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7281
    If I was tuning a piano I'd drop it down to Ab so it djents more.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    sgosden said:
    what sort of cost should I be expecting?
    I last paid my bloke £45

Doing it yourself - if you can stand the hassle of undoing all your errors ... what @BahHumbug said about the cycle of 5ths plus the "5th"s are equally tempered so have to be slightly flat - listen for a beat frequency of about 4Hz and then you'll be about right.

Or you could use a good quality electronic tuner like the Yamaha job. My piano tuner chap doesn't like electronic tuners but I got him to humour me and allow it to be sat on the piano while he tuned it. He was quite impressed, as the tuner agreed with him! I don't think all electronic tuners are good enough to do that with though.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    sgosden said:
    Sassafras said:
    sgosden said:

I'm going to be really disappointed if the bloke isn't a jazzy old guy with sunglasses and a black hat on

exactly who I was hoping for*, then me and all the street can go outside and twist again, like we did last summer!

*I am very aware of the impossibility of this,

You sure you weren't hoping for Chubby Checker?

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    I remember as a kid my mum would get piano tuners in for her baby grand. They were often blind, apparently they were utilising their extra hearing ability. My mum always liked tô hear them sit and play some music as a test. The last one my mum had in just plugged a little box in and did it via that, so not a job requiring talent any more!
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    Just googling blind piano tuners. They have an Association so I guess there are a few and it's on a list of what are described as 'blind trades' - jobs that blind people have been encouraged to do rather than more mainstream occupations, so there is an element of stigma to it as well as old fashioned, low grade work.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16081
    I would always recommend a blind piano tuner ( we used to have one )
    The deaf ones aren't as good !
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5132
    sgosden said:
    Sassafras said:
    sgosden said:

exactly who I was hoping for

I was thinking of this guy:

Highly recommended for lending "proper actor gravitas" to ridonkulous chop-socky-meets-East-End-Gangster beat 'em up films.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1368
    edited June 2016
    I usually pay £60 for tuning.

Some of the pegs were getting worn, so I "bit the bullet' a couple of years ago, and got the piano (Baby Grand) restrung and reconditioned. Cost a good wad. If you've ever paid for something like this, you'll never worry about the cost of a packet of guitar strings ever again.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16655
    My Granddad's brother was a blind piano tuner, it was his only career option at Blind school.   My Granddad used to drive him around and do all the repairs in his van.   And that is why i grew up loving the smell of hide glue

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10261
    tFB Trader
    My great uncle was a blind piano tuner!
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• 10thumbs10thumbs Frets: 427

I've sometimes wondered if you can do this with a chromatic guitar tuner ?

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    Had a bizarre Piano based conversation with my wife last night

wife: Do we need to get a piano
    me: what? why?
    wife: well I always had one growing up, I remember Mum always getting some blind guy to come and tune it
    me: can you play the piano then? Do you want to start again?
    wife: no, generally it just sat there. I had a couple of lessons, I hated it.
    me: er. 
    wife: but you can play?
    me: er not really - I know how to play and had some lessons at uni, but I don't enjoy it.
    wife: but it would be nice for the kids
    me: but you hated it and I don't liek itt and you need it to be tuned etc
    wife: why are you always so negative? I'd like to have one when we buy a house..

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • markslade07markslade07 Frets: 833
    edited June 2016
    When I was a kid we used to have our piano tuned regularly by a blind chap. No one ever really played the bloody thing, I think it was more my mother's idea of a charitable act to keep him in employment. Must be some still out there.
    Only just catching up on this, but so did we, @erictheweary. I think you're in the Midlands and back then I lived in Walsall. Think the old blind guy was from Bloxwich, but I may be making that bit up.

Edit. Unless it's a prerequisite of being a piano tuner, and it's no coincidence at all!
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    When I was a kid we used to have our piano tuned regularly by a blind chap. No one ever really played the bloody thing, I think it was more my mother's idea of a charitable act to keep him in employment. Must be some still out there.
    Only just catching up on this, but so did we, @erictheweary. I think you're in the Midlands and back then I lived in Walsall. Think the old blind guy was from Bloxwich, but I may be making that bit up
    I'll have to ask my mother what she can remember about him, at 88 her memory is keener than mine ( although as she has been going blind for the last few years so it may not be the easiest topic to broach). But obviously it was quite a common thing. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AliGorieAliGorie Frets: 308
    WezV said:
    My Granddad's brother was a blind piano tuner, it was his only career option at Blind school.   My Granddad used to drive him around and do all the repairs in his van.   And that is why i grew up loving the smell of hide glue

nice one Wez, I know what ya mean - re hide glue
    My mother (who had a wonderful natural 'ear') taught herself to tune pianos armed with a tuning fork and a tuning key.
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24262
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513

wife: well I always had one growing up, I remember Mum always getting some blind guy to come and tune it
    me: er not really - I know how to play and had some lessons at uni, but I don't enjoy it.
    wife: why are you always so negative? I'd like to have one when we buy a house..

@Teetonetal Ha! Reminds me of the bookcases with classics people buy to give the impression that they are well-read.... Except the books never show any sign of wear....

We got our Joanna for nowt from a church clearing out its storage facility. It's a cheap, mass-produced East German one, with a dampener for making it quieter for playing in shitty GDR prefabs. The lever for activating the dampener has always reminded me of the choke on a Trabant! Accordingly, the thing is never in tune, even after we've had a man in. But @DLM's_Girl still prefers it over an electric, which reminds me of Scott Henderson's use of the traditional Strat bridge over more modern alternatives. He says he needs good tone more than to be in tune.

• A blind piano tuner is such an archetype.  
  • DLM said:

@Teetonetal Ha! Reminds me of the bookcases with classics people buy to give the impression that they are well-read.... Except the books never show any sign of wear....

We got our Joanna for nowt from a church clearing out its storage facility. It's a cheap, mass-produced East German one, with a dampener for making it quieter for playing in shitty GDR prefabs. The lever for activating the dampener has always reminded me of the choke on a Trabant! Accordingly, the thing is never in tune, even after we've had a man in. But @DLM's_Girl still prefers it over an electric, which reminds me of Scott Henderson's use of the traditional Strat bridge over more modern alternatives. He says he needs good tone more than to be in tune.

Scott uses a modified bridge with wider holders drilled out for the strings to pass through easier.