Alto sax mouthpieces

What's Hot

I've still got the same Armstrong alto I've had since I was 12-13, but I have a well-used Vandoren mouthpiece and an equally well-used Yamaha one, so I fancied upgrading the mouthpiece/ligature. Any recommendations? Not looking to spend silly money. Thanks.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    I used to use otto link tone edge 5 mouth pieces, but I haven't  played sine 2005, so not sure what's good these days
  • Cheers @Teetonetal. Any more saxists on here?
  • MossMoss Frets: 2409
    BintyTwanger77;1103808" said:
    Cheers @Teetonetal.

Any more saxists on here?
    Drew...

No, wait...
    Stop crying, start buying
  • I use a Rousseau 4R (or possibly 5R, can't remember) on my alto, which is considered a "classical" mouthpiece but I use it for everything and it seems to suit my clarinet-trained-too-tight-for-sax embouchure.

On baritone I mostly use a Rico Metalite M5, which is really cheap but works brilliantly (although I do have to force myself to use a "proper" sax embouchure on bari).

But mouthpiece (and reed of course) choices are extremely personal - I'm sure you know that though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    I have an Otto Link 6* , but actually almost always play with a Yamaha 7C.  Strange really, because I always play on an Otto Link on the Tenor...
  • Well a different story emerged. At rehearsal last night, the sax had no bottom register at all, and was playing terribly. Took my beloved 26 year old Armstrong to the saxophone tech, who replaced the offending pad, but said that the rest of the pads are starting to crack and it's only a matter of time before the sax gives up altogether. Cost to repair all the pads? £500.

So I'm now (or I will be on Thursday when I collect it) the owner of a brand new Yamaha YAS280 (the student model is ergonomically the closest to my old Armstrong, so felt more comfortable for me to play than the pro level model and at half the cost). I also went with a Meyer mouthpiece, sounds great.

Looks like buying a new Telecaster is on hold for a while...

• Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127

So I'm now (or I will be on Thursday when I collect it) the owner of a brand new Yamaha YAS280 (the student model is ergonomically the closest to my old Armstrong, so felt more comfortable for me to play than the pro level model and at half the cost). I also went with a Meyer mouthpiece, sounds great.

Yamaha saxes are great...pretty much all of them...