Humidity and lacquer

What's Hot
Can somebody give me some Wisdom about spraying (tins) nitrocellulose in high humidity?

I'm gagging to get my flamin' parts-a-esquire finished, but everytime I have the time, and I consult the iPhone App, it tells me it's over 55%, thus thou shalt not spray. 

Ta.
"You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16547
    if its too humid you may get a whitish blush, this is moisture trapped under the top layer.  its not too much of a problem, if you give it a rub down after a day you can often rub the blush out.  if you leave it longer and can't rub it out then spray one more light coat in less humid conditions to melt the surface and it should go.   

if you are mixing the lacquer yourself you can make it thinner which will help reduce blush.   eitehr way keep the coats light and thin to prevent the surface curing too much before the lacquer underneath can
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    @WezV yeah I had blush on the neck spray, hence I had to strip it back and install the humidity App. All v annoying. Although I did get around it (before I lost me temper with it) by leaving well alone for a bit, then light spraying to 'open up' the blush coat. PITA tho. Just fishing for the 'techniques of the pro's'    ;)
  • lamf68lamf68 Frets: 850
    If you've not got the time to wait for the "Perfect Week" we have here in the UK to paint(last year it was a week in July - apart from that humidity was always a problem) Just buy a can of blush remover/retarder, can't remember the exact name of the stuff, but I've used it loads in the past, just heat it in a tub of hot water(not too hot to explode the can) then give a light mist coat over the blushed area. Works every time!
    sorry if this is a bit late for you.
    lamf68 said:
    If you've not got the time to wait for the "Perfect Week" we have here in the UK to paint(last year it was a week in July - apart from that humidity was always a problem) Just buy a can of blush remover/retarder, can't remember the exact name of the stuff, but I've used it loads in the past, just heat it in a tub of hot water(not too hot to explode the can) then give a light mist coat over the blushed area. Works every time!
    sorry if this is a bit late for you.

Aye I'd considered that, but then thought it just widens the scope for things to go tits up! Might give it a blat then, ta.
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3853
    edited January 2014
    You're much more likely to get blooming (as described by Wez) if it's humid AND cold.

If the relative humidity is over 55% but it's mild then it simply won't be a problem. If the humidity goes over 70% then it's time for a rain check.

To spray with a RH up to 70% the temperature needs to be between 17 and 23 degrees celsius, difficult if you're not in a regulated booth.

I'm just finishing up my Rickenfaker fingerboard lacquering actually jd. It was bare rosewood but I want the proper Rick look/feel so I've gone with sanding seal followed by polyurethane 2 pack. I've done it in a spray booth mind so it's much easier for me to do in the proper environment.
    Deadman;123703" said:
    You're much more likely to get blooming (as described by Wez) if it's humid AND cold.

If the relative humidity is over 55% but it's mild then it simply won't be a problem. If the humidity goes over 70% then it's time for a rain check.

To spray with a RH up to 70% the temperature needs to be between 17 and 23 degrees celsius, difficult if you're not in a regulated booth.

I'm just finishing up my Rickenfaker fingerboard lacquering actually jd. It was bare rosewood but I want the proper Rick look/feel so I've gone with sanding seal followed by polyurethane 2 pack. I've done it in a spray booth mind so it's much easier for me to do in the proper environment.

Aye, my shed's at the mercy of the weather. Not the most controllable working environment !
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3853
    If you were near Oxford (which I don't think you are) I'd be happy to help.
    Cheers dude, but the small matter of the 5 hour drive puts the Knock on that!