MAKING SOME LPJ DC's

What's Hot

Comments

• streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1631
    edited June 2016

I sell Faber compensated ones but as Steve says, the compensation on vintage and reissue wraparounds is built into the angle of the bridge studs. 

http://www.amberguitar.com/tailpieces/97-compensated-wraparound-bridge.html

The originals also have little grub screws for fine intonation.

Oh wait, both out of stock. lol. 
    I've one of the originals coming in but it's spoken for. 

Good plug, eh! :D

Oh wait I have an aged one in stock

Good work me. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3290
    edited June 2016 tFB Trader
    I fitted a mojoaxe wraptail that was really good, it went on a Jeff beck oxblood style Lp.

I've also just fitted a schaller signum wrapover on a set neck tele, not vintage but good looking with 9 mm of individual saddle travel.
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16665
    I'm going for an original uncompensated on my next one  :)
    tFB Trader
    I'd use the mojoaxe one.
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16665
    I'd use the mojoaxe one.
    I like the mojoaxe, but I'm not about to throw away a proper old one  just to use one.   The old one I have has quite a pronounced top ridge.  they seem to vary.   But they can always be swapped out so I will only order different if I feel its compromised
    tFB Trader
    Sorry didn't realise, I'd use the old one first too
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2347
    edited July 2016 tFB Trader

The LPJ builds are going a bit slow at the moment as I’ve become very busy with other orders, most of the LPJ’s were for stock although a couple are already sold.

The first photo is of the next two LPJ’s to be finished, they just need the pickup routed and the bridge holes to drilled. There’s also a single cut that will be finished hopefully by the end of week.

The other photos of  builds that took priority over the LPJ’s.

This is a Swamp Ash hard tail Strat, H/B in the bridge, P90 in the neck. Using a thin line Tele pick guard.

This is the second guitar that took priority over the LPJ’s. Just waiting to hear what type of bridge is going to be used so I can drill the holes. As the guitar has a flame maple cap there will be no pick guard, the control cavities are on the back of the guitar.

This is the next guitar on the bench, 

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27452
    Good to see that you're keeping busy

;)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3005
    Am I seeing a cheeky Russ Ballard 'Holey Strat' trib on the bench behind that Billy Bo ? 
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2398
    Skills! 
    edited August 2016 tFB Trader
    DrBob said:
    Am I seeing a cheeky Russ Ballard 'Holey Strat' trib on the bench behind that Billy Bo ? 
         Yes you are, and what a pain they are to make.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

The Les Paul Junior’s are on hold for the moment, as I’m having trouble with the suppliers of my trust rods, basically they sent me rods that are 20mm too long that can only be used on Fender scale 22 fret necks.

Although I’ve got lots of commercial work to do a lot of the guitars are also Gibson scale that need a shorter rod.

I mentioned a few weeks ago I made a solid Rosewood neck, this seemed to have created a fair amount of interest. I was also asked if I could supply Rosewood T/C bodies to go with the necks.

I had several pieces of 50mm Rosewood planks that the right size for two piece T/C bodies. As I have not made one for some time I thought now is a good time as any to make one.

The first picture shows the two pieces of Rosewood back and front of the guitar with a light coloured wood veneer (it’s actually 3mm thick). With the Rosewood neck that will go with the body. The Rosewood behind the body is for the next build.

As we all know Rosewood is very heavy so I decided to chamber the body. These are medium-sized pockets as opposed to fully chambered that I would use if I was making a ”F” hole T/C.

The light coloured wood was first glued to one half of the body so it will be chambered as per the body.

Above back half of the body with the light coloured wood glued on.

This is the front half of the body,

Now it is chambered it will be glued together, I use a hydraulic press for this. What isn’t shown in the photo I place a two inch thick piece of wood on top of the body before the hydraulic ram comes down to spread the load.

I’ve now machine round the body, routed the neck pocket, pickup pockets and control cavity, I might do a bit more to it this week but I’m going away for couple of days so I might just have to concentrate on the commercial work for now.

Despite the body being chambered it weighed in at 6lb 2oz  

0reaction image LOL 14reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1631
    My word.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27452
    Oh wow.

And rosewood necks ...
    ;)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    I've wanted a rosewood necked (as opposed to rosewood fingerboard) guitar ever since I saw
    the guitarist in Fishbone play a Tom Anderson with one 
    These Teles are a breed apart though Graham, they look stunning !
  • PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2375
    I think I need a rosewood tele neck in my life Graham
    PVO_Dave said:
    I think I need a rosewood tele neck in my life Graham
    I think everyone does !
  • That rosewood tele body is stunning! What's the reason for the lighter wood in the middle of the sandwich - is it mainly for aesthetics?

I’m not sure why Fender used the light wood sandwich on their Rosewood T/C’s. If you google Rosewood Telecaster’s you’ll see  nearly all have light wood sandwich. Those that don’t, tend to be made of a basswood core with rosewood veneer over them. There are of course some that Fender made like the George Harrison version that would just solid Rosewood without the sandwich. The odd thing about the early ones with the sandwich it appears that each side of the body was chambered then glued together with the light wood in between, but not machined as the back and front chambers. When you removed the control plant you could still see the solid white wood underneath, it was only cut away for the three-way switch, if it was a Thin Line T/C you can see the white wood through the F hole.

If you look at the pictures of how I made my Rosewood T/C you will see I match the chambers on the light wood to the Rosewood. 

• Ah, thanks for all the info Graham. Really interesting to see the details of your work.