Where to find unfinished necks?

What's Hot
Sorted for my budget tele body, which will be wudtoned and very pretty it will be.

So now I need a tele neck, but the only unfinished ones I can find are a 50 quid rosewood boarded job from agc guitars. Nout wrong with that, but I was wondering if there was any more choice out there?

Basically looking for a maple/maple or maple/rosewood neck for relatively little to buy in a couple of months, when the body will be completed. No idea what agc guitars are like, but I'd want a good truss rod and unfinished so I can wudtone it to taste, and possibly finish with tru oil and a shit ton of buffing, as well as some sandpaper to the fingerboard edge for a slightly worn feel.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    I got that tired of trawling eBay and the web in general for what I wanted, that I just bit the bullet and stumped up for a custom order jobby. And very pleased I did too.

Next time tho, I'll probably give the business to a local luthier, may be a bit more cost effective.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • Yeah, I'm wondering whether I might find a luthier. It's a tele neck, so pretty simple construction relative to, say, a set neck perhaps? - I just want it regular and comfy.

And raw, unfinished wood so I can have a go at finishing it!
    Yeah that's the route I went, raw, just enough for me to bollocks it up!!!!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jd0272;116206" said:
    Yeah that's the route I went, raw, just enough for me to bollocks it up!!!!
    Torn between lol and wisdom.
    Already stripped it once   :(
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3889
    Might be worth trying northwest guitars, they have a custom neck builder on their website.
  • Might be worth trying northwest guitars, they have a custom neck builder on their website.
    Jooky also recommended the custom neck builder from them and said he had an excellent service, so I've asked for a quote on a Tele neck with ebony board and a massive CBS headstock.  

:D

Not that I can afford it for a month or two.
    Think I'm going to go down the 'not expensive' route with my Telemaster partsa and just get an Allparts fat Tele neck. Seems ok for the price.
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2335
    tFB Trader
    I'm going to have some Strat and Tele necks in my sale, there are Maple/Maple, Maple/Rosewood. all will be fretted some with a finish some with out, all one price £100 inc P&P less if you take more.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

• jd0272 said:
    Think I'm going to go down the 'not expensive' route with my Telemaster partsa and just get an Allparts fat Tele neck. Seems ok for the price.
    I have an Allparts Vee neck on my Tele. It's got jumbo frets and a satin finish. It's a wonderful handful:
  • GSPBASSES;122785" said:
    I'm going to have some Strat and Tele necks in my sale, there are Maple/Maple, Maple/Rosewood. all will be fretted some with a finish some with out, all one price £100 inc P&P less if you take more.
    Truth be told, I don't think I'll have the money for quite some time, so I wouldn't hold on to one for me.

I've just been fleeced for 2 new tyres! :(

I'll inquire when I've got the dollar though. Otherwise, a tele neck with a cbs headstock and ebony board is my likely purchase in a few months time!
    Can't 'do' V profile for some reason.
    Can't 'do' V profile for some reason. Never found it comfy.
  • I was in Frailers in Warrington over 20 years ago and tried a '52 Tele which had an amazing V neck on it. It was really pronounced and I loved it but the guitar was £1200 then (thinking about it, it was probably a custom shop model at that price in 1992). Ever since then I have dreamed of having  a guitar with the same neck. The one on my Tele now is the closest I have ever come. Down at the business end it's a great feel for chords and chunky rhythm work.
  • Check out Rothko and Frost for Allparts necks as they are a bit cheaper than the official Allparts UK store and the bloke there has only been too happy to answer all my annoying questions about lacquers etc. I see they also offer finishing options for a reasonable prices too. Allparts necks are my favorite as most have a true 1 5/8 nut width.
    ^^^

That's where my money will be going. R&F are a top notch outfit IMO.
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    @jd0272 Those Allparts Fat necks are good value, they just take a bit of fettling to get them right and they are FAT, it's bigger that the neck on my R8 Les Paul & my Junior!

The only thing that was slightly disappointing on them is that the fret slots are cut deeper than the fret tang so there is a bit of an unsightly gap underneath each fret.

Good quality neck though.
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1631
    miserneil said:
    @jd0272 Those Allparts Fat necks are good value, they just take a bit of fettling to get them right and they are FAT, it's bigger that the neck on my R8 Les Paul & my Junior!

The only thing that was slightly disappointing on them is that the fret slots are cut deeper than the fret tang so there is a bit of an unsightly gap underneath each fret.

I don't like that visible fret slot either.

I plan on making my own necks soon....ish. 
    edited January 2014
    ^^^

That's where my money will be going. R&F are a top notch outfit IMO.
    miserneil said:

The gap under the fret/tang should be fill able though?
  • Still waiting for Northwest guitars to get back and quote me. So much for 24 hour quotes!

Probably the best route for me though. I don't want too fat, I only have little hands. I like a generic c profile with a radius of between 9.5 and completely flat. Telecaster means I'll probably get a 10 or 12 inch...