What's you favourite Bruce Foxton tone?

What's Hot
RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13936
edited June 2016 in Bass
I love Bruce's tone with his Fender Precision in The Jam in particular on the Sound Affects album

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GassageGassage Frets: 30864
    Bass opening to When You're Young

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• His tone in A Town Called Malice. Dunno what was used in the studio but was it his Ibanez Ricky copy when played on the Tele?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13936
    His tone in A Town Called Malice. Dunno what was used in the studio but was it his Ibanez Ricky copy when played on the Tele?

Doesn't aound like the Ric on the record, more like the Precision, to my ears anyway

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6472
    Funeral Pyre. Massively underrated player. Good to see a mention for Sound Affects, it really is a great album.

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9513
    Scrape Away
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6053
    Tube Station At Midnight.
  • ESchapESchap Frets: 1428
    His tone in A Town Called Malice. Dunno what was used in the studio but was it his Ibanez Ricky copy when played on the Tele?

Doesn't aound like the Ric on the record, more like the Precision, to my ears anyway

I can get remarkably close to that tone with my old EB2 with the baritone button on and using a plectrum.   Funnily enough he uses an EB2 in the video.

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    I never liked the Jam when I was young and they were all over the charts, but I look back now and think that they were a bloody good band. Bruce's bass playing was superb, with a three piece the bass player really needs to earn his money and Foxton certainly did.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72227
    Eton Rifles

Too obvious really, but it's an absolutely amazing bass tone - and so is the playing. When You're Young is great too, although a bit less aggressive.

Foxton really carries the music in The Jam, more than almost any other bass player in any band I can think of. He's usually providing the main melody while Weller's guitar is the contrast, not the other way round.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• TonyRTonyR Frets: 908
    JezWynd said:
    Tube Station At Midnight.
    +1
    We are all Chameleons...
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13936
    I love the way Bruce's bass and Rick's bass drum were mixed together, especially on Sound Affects, they blend into one sound at times with the bass drum adding a percussive thud to the bass melody

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    StanleyAccrington;1105053" said:
    I'm trying to hum a The Jam bass line and see what comes out: Town Called Malice is the winner.
    Never a big fan of The Jam but Foxton was probably my favourite element. He wrote my favourite song (by quite a big margin) by them as well: Smithers Jones (IIRC).
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • GlooperGlooper Frets: 5
    edited March 2021
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6053
    edited March 2021
    ICBM said:
    Eton Rifles

Foxton really carries the music in The Jam, more than almost any other bass player in any band I can think of. He's usually providing the main melody while Weller's guitar is the contrast, not the other way round.
    Very true. Private Hell is another great one. Actually, everything on Setting Sons is driven by the bass.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12324
    Down n the tube station at midnight and Start.  Start seems to be a 335 style bass looking at the video.
  • NeillNeill Frets: 941
    Every time I watch "Mock the Week" I think Paul Weller must be sick of hearing that intro given that Bruce Foxton is getting the royalties and IIRC Weller thought it was one of The Jam's weakest songs.

I like "Setting Sons" myself,  Saturday's Kids and Girl on the Phone would be my faves.

Love a bit of The Jam reminiscing.  
  • russpmrusspm Frets: 438
    My first ever gig was the Jam in 1979 aged just 10 with my older brother. Mind blowing just so loud and so much energy. I saw them again in 1980. Great band.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14409
    ICBM said:
    more than almost any other bass player in any band I can think of. 
    How about the late John Alec Entwistle?
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • russpmrusspm Frets: 438
    ICBM said:
    more than almost any other bass player in any band I can think of. 
    Peter Hook 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72227
    russpm said:

Peter Hook 
    Both close, and The Jam were certainly hugely influenced by The Who, but I think Foxton still edges it for melodic ‘lead bass’.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein