Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Have you owned your dream guitar from when you was a growing up.

What's Hot
DanRDanR Frets: 1041
I'm sure we have all had that guitar that we always dreamed of owning as child.

Has anyone actually realised that dream, did it match your expectations or did you end up disappointed?

I'd always wanted two guitars more than anything.

A Pelham Blue Les Paul Custom and a Charvel with Blood splatter graphics.

I've owned the LP, bought from Peach last year as NOS with a Ebony board.....

and it was shit.

Looked gorgeous but was the most uncomfy guitar in the world to play, was also set up terribly but having been sat in a distribution centre for a few years it's hardly surprising.

My mate loved it though he played it more than I did in the 6 month I owned it.

I do have the Charvel on order now so let's hope this goes better.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    Yes - original pre-CBS Fiesta Red Strat.

It was exceptional - no Strat I've played before or since comes close. It was a '63 and very battered.

I sold it 20 years ago when I was short of money. A very foolish decision....
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    Mine was probably a Rickenbacker bass (4001 probably)so no. Struggling to imagine the circumstances in which I'd buy one now.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4290
    No.

When growing up I always wanted a white Les Paul Custom.

I'm left handed, and when I could finally afford one in the early 90s I could only get a black one. So I got that instead. Lovely thing.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• jimmyguitarjimmyguitar Frets: 2464
    Yes..
    https://imgur.com/5I9FPyM
    My '62 Strat! All original except the 5-way switch. I expected a lot from it before I made the trip to pick it up and honestly am not disappointed in the least, it's a VERY special guitar.
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    I'd always wanted a pre-CBS Tele, I bought a nice '63 one and then it got stolen.
    Still haven't played one that gets anywhere near it.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • cpfcfancpfcfan Frets: 13
    edited June 2016
    When I was around 5 I remember my first year in school and I tried to make what is essentially a King V shaped guitar out of a cardboard box with elastic bands for strings. I now FINALLY have a real King V and I couldn't be happier!
    More guitars than CPFC won games last season.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2744
    When I was in my teens it was a running joke in the family that when anyone asked what I wanted for christmas or birthday I'd say a Les Paul and Marshall stack.             Since then I've had a few of course but still have 3 les pauls and 3 marshall stacks in the house now :)

The other guitar I wanted was Steve Rothery's Roland strat style guitar synth and I missed out when he sold it a few years ago so the chances of that happening are pretty slim.
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3594
    In the early '70's I always yearned for the natural finish, maple necked  Strats that were fashionable in music shops then.

Have never bought one and have heard in recent years they were pretty cak anyway.

I guess a Mex reissue could be on the cards although I already have a couple of Strats now.
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    White Falcon
    Was as hard to play as it looks
    But I still love it
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 2998
    Purple EBMM EVH/Axis.
    Wife bought me one as a wedding gift it's killer
    Only thing is my tastes have changed a bit in the intervening years so it doesn't get the play time it used to
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    cpfcfan said:
    When I was around 5 I remember my first year in school and I tried to make what is essentially a King V shaped guitar out of a cardboard box with elastic bands for strings. I now FINALLY have a real King V and I couldn't be happier!
    Dude, trim your sig.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    Yes, a vintage single cut Junior, ever since I saw Mick Ralphs playing one in pictures of Mott The Hoople live.

Managed to pick up a glorious '55 a couple of years ago while on tour in the states. It's everything is hoped for and more.
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • bluechargeboybluechargeboy Frets: 1894
    I always wanted a Washburn N4, but when I got my hands on one (well, two actually), I couldn't get along with the locking tremolo contraption. GREAT guitars otherwise.
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6084
    edited June 2016
    No... For me it was always a black Les Paul custom. The inner sleeve of Humple Pie's Performance album was my bible and Frampton's 3 pick-up Les Paul was stunning.
    I've got a 79 Les Paul Pro Deluxe but have never owned a custom.

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3841
    edited January 2018
    Mine was probably a Les Paul. I do like guitars in the style of LPs, but have only, very briefly, played one real Les Paul. It was like playing a washing machine. I really like playing SGs, though, which I used to think we're hideous. Funny old game..!
    Edit:
    I took a chance on a 2016 Amazon special at the end of 2016, and I really like it. Completely different experience to the previous one.

so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• StevepageStevepage Frets: 3038
    Mine was a Ibanez JS1000. I really wanted the Chrome Boy when I first saw the cover of Crystal Planet. I finally got one a couple of years ago in a trade with a forum member.

I was chuffed to finally have one but I just didn't bond with it sadly. I traded it for a Charvel. I keep considering getting another.
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    edited June 2016

Always wanted a Trans Amber Flame top Les Paul standard, but I just don't desire it so much anymore as shorter scale lengths just get boring after a while.

I do have a yellow Charvel Star TOM bridge though..of sorts.  In fact two Charvel Stars but they are hardly custom shop originals or even reissues.

I need to make a Jackson Flying V and Firebird though

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • DanRDanR Frets: 1041
    Sambostar;1107643" said:
    Always wanted a Trans Amber Flame top Les Paul standard, but I just don't desire it so much anymore as shorter scale lengths just get boring after a while.I do have a yellow Charvel Star TOM bridge though..of sorts.  In fact two Charvel Stars but they are hardly custom shop originals or even reissues.I need to make a Jackson Flying V and Firebird though
    I always seem to miss the Charvel Stars, check once a week or so on ebay but never seem to have much luck.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2873
    Yeah I wanted a tobacco burst les paul and I have it.

Although I remember back when i was a lot younger I wanted a Kramer or Ibanez 7 string in my nu metal phase haha. Never did get one and can't say I'm that bothered!