Bass amp module-what's good?

KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3306
edited January 2014 in Bass
I need a bass amp but I don't have the funds at the moment for something like a Genz, Mark Bass, TC (I want something light, portable and loud).
It struck me that I have a PA and my speakers are light, powered and kick out 450 watts. Plugged directly into them, or via a mixer and DI box, the bass sound is dead/uninspiring. I just wondered, other than the Bass POD, which I don't like, what else is out there? I'm not looking for FX, just good bass tones/shaping, but an inbuilt compressor or octaver would be handy.
Ta
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Peavey do some pretty good sounding 1x15 combos that weigh a ton, but sound good and go used for around a ton.

Not sure about the di route, but a zoom b3 could sort you out?
  • The Sansamp Bass Driver Deluxe is great, with good preset functionality. For a good single tone, the MXR M80 is pretty damn special too.
    <space for hire>
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24251
    The new Tech21 VT-Bass-DI is superb. It has more output options, a clean blend and sounds brilliant.
  • I liked the MXR M80 that I had for a while, and the bass v-amp I came across at a venue a few times sounded decent (but old tech now) ICBM is always raving about his B3,
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3306
    edited December 2013
    Thanks for the suggestions. Reading various web posts/reviews and looking at some YT footage, the Zoom B3 looks/sounds impressive and I hope to try one this week. I'd be interested in hearing from any B3 users as I understand the presets don't show it off in the best light, but better results can be had by tweaking the mix and cabinet sims.
  • I don't use any of the Zoom B3 presets. I have been through the amp sims, though I don't currently use any, and they're pretty good - a fair range of tonal variation.
  • This, undoubtedly, is a job for the Zoom B3.

I'm forerver singing its praises, I know, but it's just brilliant.

Through a PA, take the time to build a few patches from scratch, and make sure you have the cab models at 100% mix - since the PA speaker(s) should be fairly neutral, you should get the full benefit of the nicelly modelled cabs in the Zoom.

It's made for this kind of thing I'd say.
    Not the model boy of the village
  • littlegreenmanlittlegreenman Frets: 4985
    edited December 2013
    EBS Microbass II? Very nice preamp, with an FX loop if you need to add noises.
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72303
    edited December 2013
    Yes, I use the B3 as well, and surprisingly I didn't really even edit it much - although I am only using it in a very basic way, as essentially three pedals… Squeak (Rat), Bass Muff and Bassman amp. I've probably tinkered with the settings a bit, but not much - if anything doesn't sound quite right I just adjust it on the fly. I normally go into a bass amp, with or without a tweeter, but can DI - which is the biggest change I need to make, the speaker emulator blend on the Bassman model needs adjusting to compensate (full emulation if DI'd, no emulation through an amp with no tweeter, and roughly halfway with one). I did originally dislike the 'instant permanent change' editing but I've got used to it now, it's only one knob to turn at setup and a quick listen.

I've messed about with a lot of the other effects at home but haven't tried them with the band yet - just no need, for the band I'm in now.

I suppose it's a sign of old age and laziness! Although I did compare it to my genuine pedals, just to see - the Zoom was very close to as good, though I would admit the pedals sounded very marginally better, and I'd maybe still use them in the studio - but surprisingly the Zoom was much less noisy, as well as having a built-in tuner, amp simulator, DI box etc so it was really no contest for playing live.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    I did originally dislike the 'instant permanent change' editing but I've got used to it now, it's only one knob to turn at setup and a quick listen.
    I disabled that feature on mine. I much prefer it when I decide when to do the saving.

It's very useful being able to edit effect settings on the PC.
    edited January 2014
    Ok. I've taken the plunge and ordered a Zoom B3 as reviews on the web plus the comments here were favourable. Also, time is ticking away and I've a bass dep gig in less than a month and need to have something in place.

As I said, this will be used with a Behringer 450W powered PA speaker and I have the choice of line input or XLR on the speaker. As the B3 has a DI out, what would be the best hook up? Of course, I'll try both and use my ears, but are there any advantages to using one over the other?

To the B3 owners here @tauzero @Ramirez and @ICBM, any other recommendations for quick set up and a decent tone i.e. what to do with the speaker emulation/cabinets, the blend/mix etc and anything to watch out for? For the time being, I don't need weird sounds or anything fancy for this gig - Madness tribute band - and I'd like a good, solid bass tone, a bit bell-like rather than dirty. I might use a bit of compression and occasionally, the octaver.
    Cheers
  • RamirezRamirez Frets: 11
    You can use either the jack or XLR to connect to your speaker, and either the jack or XLR out from the pedal itself - if you're going through the PA as well, I'd use the XLR out on the pedal for that and the jack out for your own speker. If you're using the XLR on the pedal, make sure you have the little 'pre/post' switch t the back set to 'POST'. If you're using the XLR in on the Behringer, check if there's a switch to toggle between line/mic inputs - you'll need line.

If I were you I'd start with just an amp model loaded and the other two slots blank. Find a model you like the sound of, and ensure that the 'CAB' knob is set to 100% (back it off if you prefer some of the dry sound to come through as well). I think there's another mix control under 'global', and perhaps another one under 'patch' settings (don't have my unit to hand at the moment) - ensure all these are setto 100% at the moment so that you're getting the full whack from the Zoom - as said you can always back them off later if you want to (If I've got it right, the 'CAB' mix controls how much of the cabinet simulation is in your sound; 0% would be just the amp model with no speaker simulation. The 'global' and 'patch' parameters controls how much of the direct bass tone comes through in relation to any processing from the Zoom)

Once you're happy with your basic amp sound, you could try a compressor in one of the other slots, or whatever takes your fancy - my 'basic' sound is one of the compressors (dbx160 model I think) into the Bassman model with it's own cab, at 100%. For your stuff one of the other amps may well be more appropriate.

If you're having problems just ask, I'll be able to answer better when I have mine with me!

Not the model boy of the village
    Much appreciated @Ramirez and that's really helpful :)
  • EBS Microbass II? Very nice preamp, with an FX loop if you need to add noises.
    I've been using one of these with a compressor in front (that stays off most of the time) and a H&K Warp Factor in the loop as my main bass board for years now. Usually I use the DI out to the PA with the onstage amp more there for monitoring than major tonal functions, I'm quite happy gigging with just the board, but the amp is there to ensure I can hear myself properly without totally relying on the sound engineer and feel the low end stuff resonating without having to be on the other side of the PA in the audience.
    edited March 2014
    First impressions of B3 are very good.

I'll keep you posted and works fine through a powered PA speaker.

EDIT: Sadly, this set up didn't work and I was trying to achieve a bass rig on the cheap. The Zoom was superb and I liked it a lot, but despite the PA speaker being powered and 450W, it couldn't deliver and things didn't sound nice or right. I didn't want to run just a DI from the unit as our PA couldn't handle it comfortably and the same for sending a feed from the unit when using the speaker too. So, I had to return the unit to the shop to make up the dosh/as part of the amp deal etc but I did buy the superb Roland Bass Cube 120XL at a knock down price. However, when I've funds again, I'll be on the look out for a used or cheap B3 as apart from being a great bass preamp/enhancer, the filters, comps, mods, octavers worked very well on my guitar too and gave me some really strong funk sounds (forget the overdrives). Sad to see the unit go but needs must and I still think it's one of the better units out there.
    Further edit: I've now acquired a Zoom MS-60B and this effectively is a scaled-down B3. Damn good units and a lot there for the money. This also works well on guitar so a win-win purchase.