Our laser in action

What's Hot
OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10326
in Made in the UK tFB Trader
A shot of our CO2 gas laser cutting Tele bridge flatwork. 
We took the decision a while ago to produce all our flatwork 'in house' due to quality inconsistencies and limited varieties available for us to buy in. we are now able to custom cut our own designs as well as vintage correct ones ... making us self sufficient and flexible, able to design 7 and eight string variants easily. It was a steep learning curve, but we got there. We also supply parts to other UK pickup makers these days. Lasers rock!
Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 8reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17598
    tFB Trader
    Awesome.

Lasers are cool.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    Ash,

With all the recent new equipment it must be an incredible feeling to be so self sufficient and also now with room for creativity.
    Well done and good luck.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    Very cool
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26564
    Frankly, I'm amazed that @Sporky isn't already all over this.
    <space for hire>
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11590
    tFB Trader
    What are you going to do with all the dots that are left over?
    Leo Fender would have used them for dot inlay markers

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• SporkySporky Frets: 28100
    I'm torn between "LASERS ARE AWESOME! >:D<" and "WHY DOES SPORKY NOT HAVE LASER? :-<"

Looks like Ash is making better use of it than I ever would!
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10326
    tFB Trader
    They would actually do a treat for that ... the grey ones would make good fake 'clay dots'

Sporky said:
    I'm torn between "LASERS ARE AWESOME! >:D<" and "WHY DOES SPORKY NOT HAVE LASER? :-<"

Looks like Ash is making better use of it than I ever would!
    Using the machine has a super steep learning curve, and it was a huge financial investment for one bit of kit, but it is a total 'Swiss army knife in the workshop ... I am constantly finding new uses for it. Making flatwork is just one facet, it can slice up packing foam, make rubber gaskets, engrave packaging, make cutting templates for the router, make tools and jigs ... the only limit is my time in drawing new programs for it. It will even make fancy engraved perspex 'speed picks' :-)
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• WezVWezV Frets: 16665
    They would actually do a treat for that ... the grey ones would make good fake 'clay dots'
    When I was researching clay dots there was some suggestions that's exactly what Fender did.   They were wrong, but it should work quite well for the original greyish clay colour.   Not so sure it will absorb dirt and wood oils like a proper dot does, but neither do the Callahan clay dots 
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    Pew Pew
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10326
    tFB Trader
    WezV said:
    When I was researching clay dots there was some suggestions that's exactly what Fender did.   They were wrong, but it should work quite well for the original greyish clay colour.   Not so sure it will absorb dirt and wood oils like a proper dot does, but neither do the Callahan clay dots 
    Some tinted stain would work well on them, it's basically compressed paper and resin. If folks want specific diameters I can run em off to order. Or our scrap 4.87 mm or 2mm by the bagful for postage.