Guitar Star 2016, Sky Arts

What's Hot

Comments

• BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 766
    I'll stop going on about this in a minute but I think that's the same point - would you go wow, that's something new if you were watching somebody play something that seemed a lot like Purple Haze? Not that it would be bad playing it just wouldn't be in the new guitar star category maybe. :bz 
    ~O) :bz
    Probably not, but in reality most things that have happened in rock electric guitar playing since Purple Haze have tread a similar path and have been directly or indirectly influenced by it. The point being is that things don't move on that fast.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3841
    I don't have sky, so even if this was my sort of thing, and it really isn't, I wouldn't be able to 'enjoy' the show. I remember, very well, the thread about last year's 'guitar factor ' and thoroughly enjoyed it. I could only judge that the show could never live up to the entertainment level of associated thread.. For me, at least..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    edited June 2016
    BigLicks67;1113947" said:
    EricTheWeary said:

I'll stop going on about this in a minute but I think that's the same point - would you go wow, that's something new if you were watching somebody play something that seemed a lot like Purple Haze? Not that it would be bad playing it just wouldn't be in the new guitar star category maybe. :bz 

~O) :bz

Probably not, but in reality most things that have happened in rock electric guitar playing since Purple Haze have tread a similar path and have been directly or indirectly influenced by it. The point being is that things don't move on that fast.
    At the risk of contradicting myself wisdom point given :)
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LooseMooseLooseMoose Frets: 908
    I really enjoyed it - nice variety of styles on display and all the Beavis and Butthead style rockers and 'virtuoso' players were binned. Hooray, unlistenable tosh. The Rock guys they put through seemed to have some real feeling and I very much enjoyed the classical guys too.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26451
    Well, judging from their Facebook page, they've got another 14yr old to drool over. Granted, this one has a lot more ability than the last one, but still...not especially inspiring to listen to if you remove the visual and forget that he's 14.

I'll be honest...I was seriously considering giving it a go last year, but a) I'm not that interesting a player, b) rock guitar needs a backing track to be able to seriously compete, and c) I'm glad I didn't after seeing it.

I'll probably watch this year's at some point - maybe an episode or two - just to see whether they've managed to improve anything. Fair play to them, they at least got rid of Huey (or he left after realising he was just plain wrong on every point he made).
    <space for hire>
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23919
    Reminds me of this wonderful bit from Douglas Adams

"Dishwashers washed tedious dishes for you, thus saving you the bother of washing them yourself, video recorders watched tedious television for you, thus saving you the bother of looking at it yourself"
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    kjdowd said:
    Clarky;1113787" said:
    I've set my Sky box with a reminder to make sure that I miss it
    Like Douglas Adams' Electric Monk on a bored horse. Get the sky box to watch it for you so you don't have to bother.

hahaaa… I'm not sure I could inflict that on my Sky box… lmao
    play every note as if it were your first
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23919
    kjdowd said:
    Clarky;1113787" said:
    I've set my Sky box with a reminder to make sure that I miss it
    Like Douglas Adams' Electric Monk on a bored horse. Get the sky box to watch it for you so you don't have to bother.

Damn. I was beaten to it!

• VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1036
    Cheers, I'll check this out as I didn't realise it was on again. I really liked the first series, apart from Huey. I thought the rock guy with the long hair should've won though. I don't massively get on with the acoustic tapping stuff as I find the sound a bit annoying after a while, but it's an awesome technique and can sound great. 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    Bucket said:

I know there's a lot of people here for whom guitar playing peaked in 1976, but there's no need to have a pop at people who want to try new ideas because you never know, some of them might work.

Hang on a minute, do you mean there's guitar playing beyond 1976?
    Well I never.
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2744
    It was a mixture of more of the same as last year imo,   the acoustic tappers were ok players but didn't really play melodies or music.   The rock players would struggle to get into a pub band,   the jazz and blues guys were ok and the classical even better.   Felt like the jazz, blues and classical could actually play and there were some really nice moments but a shame that the rock category that should be oversubscribed with talented players let the show down.    
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1283
    Sorry the series last year was so awful for me that I will never watch that again.

The editing was awful (lots of talking but not enough playing), the judges opinions worse, and as previously - that poor misguided kid with the hair? At my school he was a head down the toilet candidate (joke I'm not saying we should bogflush children).

And Huey was just unbelievable, I don't have words
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2370
    Not. Doing. This. Again.

I realised that last year I only carried on watching it so I could rant at Huey "fat wanker" Morgan.
    Now he's gone the show will be 100% more watchable, I won't be watching.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11413
    edited June 2016
    The fact that they only had the one audition show and only put 8 through makes me wonder if they are going to do the bake off type thing where they eliminate one each week.  In which case they will want people with a story and personality rather than just great players.

The all new judging panel means it is a lot better without Huey Morgan though.

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11262
    Once again the sound was dire.

You'd think that someone like Tony Visconti might have had an input into making things sound not so crap.

The percussive acoustic nonsense continues to irritate.

I can see someone flattening Milos before the end of the competition, he can never be wholly complimentary about someone, there always has to be a little niggle.
    scrumhalf;1114412" said:
    Once again the sound was dire.

You'd think that someone like Tony Visconti might have had an input into making things sound not so crap.

The percussive acoustic nonsense continues to irritate.

I can see someone flattening Milos before the end of the competition, he can never be wholly complimentary about someone, there always has to be a little niggle.
    Milos doesn't seem to have any knowledge outside classical / cross over with Tony Visconti explaining things to him like a four year old. I gather that he is probably a bit of a coup but not really qualified to be a judge on this. Still better than Huey ( who I like in other contexts) and Edith Bowman.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26451
    I gather that he is probably a bit of a coup but not really qualified to be a judge on this.
    I strongly suspect that most of the people who would be both qualified to be a judge and useful on this show would never even entertain the idea of doing it, especially after last year.

It seems to be one of the rare talent shows where it can be more damaging to the judges' credibility than the contestants'.
    <space for hire>
    I think it depends if you are seeing it as a guitar competition or as television. X Factor or The Voice are not singing competitions, they are TV that uses a singing competition as a vehicle. Assuming that the majority of Sky Arts viewers are not guitarists or know significant amounts about the mechanics of playing one then it's the asides and the back stories and the minor celeb inputs that are going to make it watchable TV. That the vehicle is people playing guitars makes it relevant to this forum but I think it still needs judging for what it is ( I appreciate I'm probably contradicting myself again somewhere) and not for what earnest guitarists would like it to be.
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6807
    Sassafras;1114129" said:
    Bucket said:

I know there's a lot of people here for whom guitar playing peaked in 1976, but there's no need to have a pop at people who want to try new ideas because you never know, some of them might work.

Hang on a minute, do you mean there's guitar playing beyond 1976?Well I never.
    Take pity on the lad. He's still at the age when he thinks "...try new ideas because you never know, some of them might work". Which of course is true. But the childish arrogance is hidden in the word "new". As if the things he's talked about haven't ever been tried before - they have, but they were rejected then because they are crap, just as they are still crap today.

@Bucket - Just because something is new to you doesn't mean its new to everyone. As the wise man said, get a piano... :))
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3841
    crunchman;1114365" said:
    The fact that they only had the one audition show and only put 8 through makes me wonder if they are going to do the bake off type thing where they eliminate one each week.  In which case they will want people with a story and personality rather than just great players.

The all new judging panel means it is a lot better without Huey Morgan though.
    Bake off - now you're talking !
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.