Latest from Oil City

OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 9986
edited June 2016 in Made in the UK tFB Trader

A large box pf Oil City Masterwound pickups heading for Feline Guitars ... mostly Masterwound Blackbirds, but with some other goodies including the first of our Masterwound Pat-63 sets. those who follow my workshop exploits will probably remember I rebuilt a pair of wonderful 63 Gibson 'patent label' humbuckers for an old SG a while back. Those were fascinating 'transition, pickups with many PAF features, but also some unique 60s ones. They sounded great, so I have lovingly recreated them, butyrate bobbins, rough cast magnets, vintage correct wire and all the goodies. These will be on sale shortly, and for those who want a unique and vintage flavour of the early sixties they will be spot on.

Look out soon for some rather special Blackbird 'Full Afterburner' sets ... 
The new Oil City Masterwound Djenerator super high output metal humbucker set, the brain creaming, stoner metal H.E.L humbucker set
and loads more 'True Vintage' offerings. 

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3491
    Great to find out the 63's are coming out.  Your thread to rewind them was one of the best things about the forum.  The 50's PAF's seem to get all the glory but my favourite sounding Gibson 60's ones (biased as the first nice guitar I ever bought was a 1968 SG Junior) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 9986
    tFB Trader
    Very excited about all the new pickups :-)
    The Pat-63 set will really fill a gap in the market ... and be available in two versions, 'balanced' which will be totally vintage neck and slightly over-wound bridge to give a modern balance in output volume, and a totally original 7.6k neck and bridge set for the purists.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27345
    edited June 2016
    :)

If you've got over your cold, perhaps its time for another Londonny beery?
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.

Very excited about all the new pickups :-)
    The Pat-63 set will really fill a gap in the market ... and be available in two versions, 'balanced' which will be totally vintage neck and slightly over-wound bridge to give a modern balance in output volume, and a totally original 7.6k neck and bridge set for the purists.
    They are going to be great.  

Is there any particular reasons why the bridge will be slightly overwound instead of having a slightly under wound neck? 

Btw, if you need a tester for the '63's I'm always willing... 

(PS, my Ash's Masterwound combo would be a 63 in the bridge and a Tokaido in the neck, I reckon that'd be heavier than Maria Callas and Adele at their peak of eclairs and sing sweeter notes....)
    tFB Trader
    Underwinding a 7.6 neck would result in a thin and hollow tone ... a little extra meat at the neck is okay in most folks books.
    Nice combo idea ... 
    The H.A.L will is fun too ... it will be in contention for the worlds most powerful humbucking pickup: 22k and powered by a custom sized triple magnet array ... one of my specialties ... a roughcast alnico 8 and twin ceramics. Total brutality!

tFB Trader
    TTony said:
    :)

If you've got over your cold, perhaps its time for another Londonny beery?
    You read my mind ... I was talking to my assistant Fabio about forum beer-ups on Friday ... said I should suggest one ... and you have!

Underwinding a 7.6 neck would result in a thin and hollow tone ... a little extra meat at the neck is okay in most folks books.
    Nice combo idea ... 
    The H.A.L will is fun too ... it will be in contention for the worlds most powerful humbucking pickup: 22k and powered by a custom sized triple magnet array ... one of my specialties ... a roughcast alnico 8 and twin ceramics. Total brutality!
    Thanks for the info Ash.  Yeah I think I might have a vague idea about the under winding the neck.  

I've never tried a A8 pickup in the flesh but the ones I have heard online, there have been some absolute gems for providing clarity and separation for clean tones.  

The 22k pickup sounds insane, it's begging for a SG, Fuzz into a Marshall playing some Earth/Sunn O)))/Sleep riffs.

Sorry for rambling on! 

edited June 2016 tFB Trader
    A lot of our research and testing goes into magnet technology, and we have some techniques and tricks with mags that we tend not to see with the mainstream makers ... perhaps due to production constraints. Mixing magnet types within a pickup being just one dodge ... we have some custom sizes and exotic brews that deliver tones you don't expect from the winding levels we use. Part of the Blackbirds unique tone for example, comes from using magnets not normally found on 'metal' pickups.

• TheGuitarWeasel;1116454" said:
    A lot of our research and testing goes into magnet technology, and we have some techniques and tricks with mags that we tend not to see with the mainstream makers ... perhaps due to production constraints. Mixing magnet types within a pickup being just one dodge ... we have some custom sizes and exotic brews that deliver tones you don't expect from the winding levels we use. Part of the Blackbirds unique tone for example, comes from using magnets not normally found on 'metal' pickups.
    My preamp destroying havocs (?) are beasts at high gain, but have a very open voice compared to even more moderate Duncans, such as the JB (which is an awesome hard rock pickup in its own right).

Just means it can get completely filthy with the best of them, with a very tight, aggressive sound that's just loose and open enough to be very, very happy covering old school les paul type tunes without sounding horribly out of place.

They split nicely, too, nothing like a single coil - more focused p90 to my ears.

I think the bridge has the unique triple magnet thing going on, and I can vouch that the efforts pay off. It just works - probably the second most versatile pickups I've used, behind a standard vintage PAF (which really doesn't "do" modern metal).
    tFB Trader
    Yep the Havoc bridge is another triple magnet design ... great for powering a pickup to great overdrive without sacrificing tone clean.