NAGD - Larrivee OM-02

strat84strat84 Frets: 314
 Finally got myself a Larrivee! I was after a D or an L to give me a bit more volume/low end for strumming.. I was a bit concerned that the OM would be small sounding but got a great deal on this so couldn't pass on it. Really glad I went with the OM! It sounds great when strummed, quite big and punchy sounding for its size and superb for finger style. It's a 2012, made in Canada. Thanks to @thomasross20 for all the help and advice!

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4436
    Man, love these Larrivees... 
    Looks fantastic... and I know they sound fantastic. Much prefer the all-satin feel to gloopy acoustics that cost more. 
    The USA ones I played felt stuffer with a higher action - but all the Canadian ones felt perfect. 
    I don't even know if the Canada factory still makes them - maybe only customs? 

I was just reading that 000 guitars are a bit more for the bluesers - easier to bend etc. Can't wait to see if Larrivee do one of those.

Happy NGD!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3493
    Man, love these Larrivees... 
    Looks fantastic... and I know they sound fantastic. Much prefer the all-satin feel to gloopy acoustics that cost more. 
    The USA ones I played felt stuffer with a higher action - but all the Canadian ones felt perfect. 
    I don't even know if the Canada factory still makes them - maybe only customs? 

I was just reading that 000 guitars are a bit more for the bluesers - easier to bend etc. Can't wait to see if Larrivee do one of those.

Happy NGD!
    Nope. The Vancouver factory has closed.  If you want to get a Canadian Larry, but under a different name I'd recommend a Halcyon, which is made by the previous Vancouver Larrivee factory manager. 

The 02/03 Larry's are some of the best priced, best built guitars out there.  Congrats on your NGD. 
    @earwighoney, that's shocking to hear..
    Why are there not made there anymore!?

Halcyon.. will check those out.
    @earwighoney, that's shocking to hear..
    Why are there not made there anymore!?

Halcyon.. will check those out.
    I can't remember exactly but I think it was tax breaks are more favourable in USA than Canada. 
    Seems it was for tax breaks.
    Are the Canadian models regarded as being superior then? That's the feeling I got.
    Just tried a whole bunch of their parlour models, zebrano, walnut etc. Walnut sounded dark. Great guitars but I prefer having access to the upper frets.

Man, nothing is beating the OM-02
  • AliGorieAliGorie Frets: 308
    yeah, I've always liked their guitars - good materials, design and built at sensible prices.

It's a few yrs since I've played one and theres some good examples of up and coming players using them - what more do u want ?.
    I just sent the afternoon playing £3-4k+ Taylor's, Martins, Bourgeois, Lowdens, you name it... not one matched my Larrivee OM-02
    I just sent the afternoon playing £3-4k+ Taylor's, Martins, Bourgeois, Lowdens, you name it... not one matched my Larrivee OM-02
    I'm not surprised.  Larries are really excellent functional guitars.  Not the most ornate but serve the job. 
    I'm tempted to get another Larrivee, just in case they ever become rare for whatever reason. Just amazing!!
  • musicman100musicman100 Frets: 1707
    Cool, enjoy 
  • AliGorieAliGorie Frets: 308
    thankfully your a sensible realist - with a well designs and made guitar.
    no issues with fretting barre chords ? this Larry player has.
    http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=436134

seems folks will find all manor of reasons NOT to be able to play - like 1/32 string spacing at nut or saddle or lack of 'headroom' for worship gig, or the b/s wood doesn't compliment their singing voice - etc - ha ha as if

That guy is right, though... I noticed it is more difficult to do barre chords on the Larrivee ... but it's no major issue. Still one of the easiest and best-sounding acoustics I've ever played.