Orange PPC112 cab?

What's Hot
I was wondering what everyones thoughts were on the Orange PPC112 cabs?

i am thinking of downsizing my rig so its easier to move around etc so am wanting a good 1x12 cab with a good speaker for my egnater tweaker 40 head - the orange seems perfect but just wondered what people thought? as iv not played one yet. 

many thanks

Here is my Trader Feedback Page - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/62051/
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306

I've also got the same Tweaker head, and at home and for rehearsals I use a Zilla 1x12 with a Vintage 30 speaker, so the same speaker to the Orange. Sounds great to me, it sounds fine at low volumes at home but providing I raise it up it's fine for small gigs etc.

I did look at getting the Orange when I was after mine, the construction looks good to me, but I didn't really want the colour, so I went with Zilla where I got to pick the tolex/gril cloth etc.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jaygtrjaygtr Frets: 218
    edited August 2013
    Very happy with mine, although the orange covering isn't that tough.
    Well made though apart from that

Also it improved as I used it more as the speaker was broken in I suspect.
  • LewLew Frets: 1657
    It might not bother you (it doesn't me) but the 1x12 is made in china as is the open back 2x12.
  • I was wondering what everyones thoughts were on the Orange PPC112 cabs?

i am thinking of downsizing my rig so its easier to move around etc so am wanting a good 1x12 cab with a good speaker for my egnater tweaker 40 head - the orange seems perfect but just wondered what people thought? as iv not played one yet. 

many thanks

What cab are you downsizing from and what sounds are you trying to get?

I had a PPC112 with V30 for a while, it was great for recording solos but that was all I liked it for personally.

To me a single V30 in a small box (and the PPC112 is a small box compared to other cabs) isn't the best combination.  To my ears it sounded boxy!  V30s don't have a lot of highs to begin with and the low end is pretty warm, and a small enclosure accentuates this.  Now if you wanted a middy tone with a small footprint (e.g. busy mix, lots of instruments) that will work but if you want a big tone from a single speaker cab I'd look in to something with a bit more of a scooped tone or at least a larger enclosure.

FWIW V30s are my favourite speakers, I just prefer them in full depth 2x12s or 4x12s.

I had no problems with the build quality of mine, it seemed sturdy enough.  I'm not the biggest fan of the Orange tolex, I agree it isn't that tough, but tbh if you use a speaker cover during transportation that shouldn't matter much.

All IMO/YMMV.
  • Van_HaydenVan_Hayden Frets: 437
    Shame you're not closer - up at the Matamp factory we've got a dozen celestions in 1x12 cabs that you can switch between - great for getting an idea of what suits. Single V30s aren't great, especially if you push them too hard. Pair them with another V30 or your speaker of choice they start to sound quite 3D. I've got one in a 2x12 together with a fane alnico and it sounds great.
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3963
    I am very happy with mine, I use it combined with a Rocker 30 combo using both speakers. I have also used a Marshall Class 5 through it with just the Orange speaker, sounded great on its own too.
  • jaygtrjaygtr Frets: 218
    I use mine with a combo too,I've never tried it on its own with a head though
  • midiglitchmidiglitch Frets: 172
    The cab itself is well made and very solid. The v30 is the best speaker I've tried for what I do but I had to make a semi open back for the cab because closed back was just a bit too... One dimensional?? /limited bandwidth?? If that is the right description. I think for metal or heavy rock it would probably be great closed.

A 2x12 sounds bigger and better in a room but if you're miking it and putting that through foh the mic isn't hearing what you are hearing a few feet away. Idk...