Guitarist-isms that make you cringe

What's Hot

Comments

• I have two :

i) Pro set-up (with no receipt to show it was 'recently' touched by a 'pro').  If it needed a pro setup then A: It was shite and required work to make it playable, or B: Its a nice sales technique that says 'buy me I've been touched by a pro to play like butter'.  Either way, I view it as bullshit and look at the next ad - unless of course the set-up has been justified.

ii) Mint - with just one minor scratch and a pick-up that doesn't always pick-up.  What part of 'mint' doesn't the seller understand ?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    Ok - let's talk about bloom (OP).
    Do you believe it exists but the word annoys you, and if so what do you wish to call the effect that is known as bloom?
    Or are you wanting to argue that there is no such thing?

• EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    Rig.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Skipped;117786" said:
    Ok - let's talk about bloom (OP).Do you believe it exists but the word annoys you, and if so what do you wish to call the effect that is known as bloom?Or are you wanting to argue that there is no such thing?
    I've yet to hear any evidence that it's anything more than a) valve sag (which needs a valve rectifier) or b) a note that then begins to feedback on itself. Which is called feedback.

I've heard both of these described as bloom. I'd rather they said feedback or valve sag. Which, iirc, is caused by the rectifier valve being starved of voltage when the guitar is hit hard, and it takes a moment to recover the voltage. Techies, please correct as required!

Bloom is a relatively new term used to sell pedals that sound like dumble amps.

• ii) Mint - with just one minor scratch and a pick-up that doesn't always pick-up.  What part of 'mint' doesn't the seller understand ?

I've seen "mint, apart from the usual buckle rash". 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13568
    thick tone

WTF is that all about......................tone isnt intelligent or stupid
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    I don't mind the creamy buttery chunky thick meaty glassy type terms - I kind of get what people are trying to say...

I cringe a bit at "axe"  and the classic - "do you play lead or rhythm?"  when I'm the only guitarist and brace myself for the next question - are you playing any quo tonight?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    Ah.....Ok.
    My guess about what was making you cringe was wrong.
    I associate bloom with people trying describe a particular aspect of low output humbuckers when they are put in particular guitars. A few months ago a guitar tech seemed to be slightly annoyed at my use of the word during a discussion about Les Pauls. He said that he could only discuss something that can be measured.

• martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader
    Skipped;117786" said:
    Ok - let's talk about bloom (OP).Do you believe it exists but the word annoys you, and if so what do you wish to call the effect that is known as bloom?Or are you wanting to argue that there is no such thing?
    I've yet to hear any evidence that it's anything more than a) valve sag (which needs a valve rectifier) or b) a note that then begins to feedback on itself. Which is called feedback.

I've heard both of these described as bloom. I'd rather they said feedback or valve sag. Which, iirc, is caused by the rectifier valve being starved of voltage when the guitar is hit hard, and it takes a moment to recover the voltage. Techies, please correct as required!

Bloom is a relatively new term used to sell pedals that sound like dumble amps.

1. You don't need a valve rectifier to get sag.

2. Bloom in this context has been around for years, often used in connection with Dumble amps or their clones. Not just on TGP either, it's used often at builders forums where some fairly respected people, including 'pros' discuss amps.

• iseverynamegoneiseverynamegone Frets: 1576
    edited December 2013
    This thread should be sticky'd to let new members know what terms are open to ridicule or disdain. It must be difficult for them to know which made up phrases/ terminology to describe intangibles are acceptable around here.

And when you says 'plays like buttah ' is on the list - thats due to the grevious mispelling of butter right?

:-)
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    edited December 2013
    Technically, not for this thread, but American sites where, when they buy summat, they are going to 'Pull The Trigger' on a guitar. Gets right on my tits.

Shooting guitars and amps and stuff. Tsk. 

And their gitfiddles are all 'She' and 'Her'. It's a bit of bloody wood FFS.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • jd0272;117885" said:
    Technically, not for this thread, but American sites where, when they buy summat, they are going to 'Pull The Trigger' on a guitar. Gets right on my tits.

I'll never say "pull the trigger" again... ;)
  • Handsome_ChrisHandsome_Chris Frets: 4779
    edited December 2013
    EdGrip said:
    Rig.
    @EdGrip, as in:

2 a device or piece of equipment designed for a particular purpose: a lighting rig.

• an oil rig or drilling rig. the North Sea rigs.

• (in CB and short-wave radio) a transmitter and receiver. the CB rig in the car was on channel 20.

a set of amplifiers and speakers used by a live band or a DJ in a club.

Or as in to rig something up?

• Never gigged (so what? I gig all the time and my gear is in perfect condition)
  • What about "oozes mojo" errr, do one
  • You lot who don't name your guitars have no romance in you.

All mine have names - well, the ones that stick around do. No point getting a name if they're only around for a couple of nights...
    Mine too. At my left elbow as I type are The Variax, The Status, The Sei, and The Eko. Conveniently, the two of them that have headstocks have their names written on them.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    benvall said:
    What about "oozes mojo" errr, do one

In fairness, regardless of value, you can look at a peice of kit and think "Fckn 'ell, I'll bet that thing's been places...." thus 'Mojo'.
    jd0272;117885" said:

I'll never say "pull the trigger" again... ;)

You say what you want mate, it's an open forum.   :)
  • jd0272;117923" said:
    benvall said:

In fairness, regardless of value, you can look at a peice of kit and think "Fckn 'ell, I'll bet that thing's been places...." thus 'Mojo'.
    There was a video of a guitar being dragged by a car that has "been places" no mojo there.
    benvall said:
    jd0272;117923" said:
    benvall said:

There was a video of a guitar being dragged by a car that has "been places" no mojo there.

You know what I mean.