Guitarist-isms that make you cringe

What's Hot

Comments

• jd0272;117937" said:
    benvall said:

jd0272;117923" said:benvall said:

What about "oozes mojo" errr, do one

In fairness, regardless of value, you can look at a peice of kit and think "Fckn 'ell, I'll bet that thing's been places...." thus 'Mojo'.

There was a video of a guitar being dragged by a car that has "been places" no mojo there.

You know what I mean. 
    Yeah I do. I think it's the word ooze that makes it sound like a sales pitch.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    EdGrip said:
    Rig.
    In Horsey terms, so I am told by those in the house interested in such things as a horse that has had his knackers removed but not done correctly so is supposed to be calmer and nicer but is in fact mad as an onion and more dangerous than a very dangerous thing.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    edited December 2013
    Some say that leaving your guitar on a stand next to your hifi will make it sound better. Maybe it will but I reckon the wood will respond even better to being played every night for 10 years or 30 years by Robben Ford.  So is it possible we could just roll our eyes at the utter banality of so many ebay listings without throwing out the (language) baby with the bathwater?? Please.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • When people call a Les Paul a Paul.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • "Gibbo"
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Buckle rash. Lawsuit.
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The implication that made in China is inferior to made in USA in every case

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    "Gibbo"

Oooh I do that. And Gibby. No idea why. Doesn't really economise on the typing action either.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • Noodling

You fricking eat noodles not pluck em !

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobe;117971" said:
    Buckle rash. Lawsuit.
    This. There was only one lawsuit. It was against Ibanez in '75 and nothing came of it. It really bugs me when I see Tokai's, Greco's etc being sold as 'lawsuit' guitars.
  • needs a bigsby - errrgh
    shred guitar - Exclusively can only play shred, chords are impossible etc
    versatile guitar - No, the player is versatile
    Good guitar for Rock/Jazz/Blues etc - all those styles are about how it is played, not what it is played on. Jazz is jazz, be it on a hollowbody or a floyd equipped flying V 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    usedtobe;117971" said:
    Buckle rash. Lawsuit.
    This. There was only one lawsuit. It was against Ibanez in '75 and nothing came of it. It really bugs me when I see Tokai's, Greco's etc being sold as 'lawsuit' guitars.
    PRS SC's being advertised as lawsuit guitars too.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
    What about... 

"this Tokai LS53 is a real Les Paul killer"

What happens when they are all in the shop together? Is there a bloodbath after hours when the jealous little Tokai breaks the neck of the LP Traditional? Do they have to put all the Gibson in a locked room for their own safety? 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72294
    jd0272 said:
    PRS SC's being advertised as lawsuit guitars too.
    Correctly. Gibson did actually sue PRS, and won - forcing PRS to discontinue the Singlecut until the judgement was overturned on appeal.

So pre-court case PRS Singlecuts can genuinely be described as 'lawsuit' models.

What difference it makes, I have no idea. PRS didn't change the guitars after they were allowed to resume production as far as I know.

"Hand made" is another one.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    I'm now waiting for the thread to go downhill so I don't have to take it so seriously...

"Originals in the case"

They are? :-O
    Don't they rattle around when you are walking down the street?

• JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    I saw and ad for an Italia Rimini describing it as a lawsuit model recently, which wouldn't surprise me at all...

• ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2025
    Bogwhoppit;117980" said:
    Noodling You fricking eat noodles not pluck em !
    Aw... Really? I noodle all the time. It makes no sense, but it sums up what I do nicely.

In fact, in protest, I might go for a quick noodle now.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1942
    "Takes pedals well" That means the amp sounds shit, so you better put something expensive in front of it to make it sound OK.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    You lot are weird.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    edited December 2013
    You could well call any system of equipment using the nautical term "rig" - it's just that when it's in the context of guitary stuff, (or a gaming PC, or a pickup truck, or basically anything that doesn't involve at least some degree of climbing) doing so will make me involuntarily think WANKER! (but only for the most fleeting of moments, until the next time you say "rig".)

+1 on "pull the trigger" too.

I know this thread is pedantic, but language - and working out why particular phrases in particular contexts annoy me - is quite interesting. Have at it!

(EDIT: I think that both of these phrases seem to want to add some veneer of manly masculinity to a basically nerdy pastime, and I am annoyed by that because being masculine has never interested me much - or at least, I want to do it on my own terms and not have to pretend to join in with people who spend too much time on forums affirming how they really are manly after all, and definitely not the school geeks. I am the geek. I like it. Stop trying to make me play football, I'm reading. I've added this bit here because I thought that it might be interesting to write down why I think the phrases annoy me - don't interpret it as me having a go at anyone.)

(Further edit: In general, I think there is a force that acts within some groups of obsessive/nerdy/thoughtful people - men especially - to make them want to reassure each other that they are manly men. The word "beer" pops into my head here - now, I'm not saying that people are falsely claiming to like beer, rather that invoking "beer" seems to be a bit of a shorthand for this phenomenon, if it exists. I'm thinking of a couple of groups of heavy-metal-loving friends when I say this. You know the group. Long hair, love metal bands, wear metal t-shirts with lots of denim and patches. But inside they are sensitive souls who are probably no strangers to Terry Pratchett or Dungeons and Dragons. 
    That makes for a bit of internal conflict between identifying with a sort-of-theatrically-aggressive subculture whilst also being, basically, lovers not fighters. "Beer!", they shout. "Beer!" is the punchline. I dunno. I'm running on now. Soz.)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom