Dream theatre

What's Hot

Comments

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Had the posted Email today..........

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28331
    Wow, that's amazing value!
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    I've got that, brilliant value.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4135
    edited January 2014
    I love Images & Words. I bought it after hearing Take the Time when it was released on a sampler with a rock magazine. Was so amazed that anyone could play something like that. Yet their simple songs were fantastic too - Pull Me Under isn't particularly complicated but a brilliantly written song. Oh and the delay-heavy fast guitar bit in Surrounded gets me every time - fantastic. Even as a metalhead I feel DT were better back then before they became a full on metal band, and before Portnoy's alcoholism lyrics began to dominate everything.

I love Awake too. Those first two LaBrie albums coincided with my first couple of years at uni. When Awake came out I was feeling on a downer and losing my faith and Voices really struck a chord with me. It's miserable as fuck, in a brilliant way. And Space Dye Vest was equally moving. I feel the band really lost something when Kevin Moore left.

I really like Falling Into Infinity though. Especially Lines In the Sand. Even though I've got all the subsequent records (and the very first album) I feel these three are the ones I like the best by some margin. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2926
    Yes, I agree with everything else that Awake and Images and Words rule. I've never really warmed to anything else they've done, probably due to LaBrie's voice going down the shitter.

Incidentally, James LaBrie gets so much stick for his vocals. Some of the vocal acrobatics he pulls off on his first two with DT are astounding, and that's what sells those albums to me. Caught In A Web, Voices, Take The Time, Pull Me Under, Another Day... so good. I'm going to go and listen to them now.
  • chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    I think Scene from a Memory is my favourite, me and the missus regularly play it in the car and both sing along to most of the guitar/bass/keys parts.
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Bidley said:
    Incidentally, James LaBrie gets so much stick for his vocals. Some of the vocal acrobatics he pulls off on his first two with DT are astounding, and that's what sells those albums to me. Caught In A Web, Voices, Take The Time, Pull Me Under, Another Day... so good. I'm going to go and listen to them now.
    I LOVE his singing on the first couple of albums. He's rather lost it recently though IMO.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Another one of those bands I know I should have in my collection but I don't....so I've just ordered that 'Original Album Series' box. Bargain.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

I got their Greatest Hit (and 21 other pretty cool songs) on in the motor at the moment.

I must say, I'm really rather enjoying their music. And I'm really looking forward to hearing some more of their tunes.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28331
    mike_l said:

I got their Greatest Hit (and 21 other pretty cool songs) on in the motor at the moment.

Brilliant album title!

Off the new album

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=m_Zx3BzcUjA

which incidentally arrived at Mike's today......

• LukeageLukeage Frets: 35
    The funny thing is right... I love Dream Theater. I have done since one of my guitar teachers of days-gone-by got me into them. I think the first DT stuff I bought was Scenes From A Memory and the Change of Seasons EP. 

So that's where I started. From there I moved on to the other stuff... 

BUT. The older stuff isn't all of my favourite stuff. I love all their albums really. I can't really seem to get into A Dramatic Turn of Events, but I absolutely love the newest (self-titled) album. I think that's some of their most solid work. 

Among my favourites are (shockingly to some) Octavarium, Black Clouds..., and Six Degrees. 

My outright fave is definitely Black Clouds... though. That album just did it for me. I got the 3 disc special edition of that album. Seriously cool. 

Having had a listen to (most of) the new album, it's definitley on the heavier side of things.

Still good though.

I really like the new album, got some incredible guitar and bass playing on it.
    I really like the new album, got some incredible guitar and bass playing on it.

Yes, yes it is.

• ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    chrispy108 said:    I really like the new album, got some incredible guitar and bass playing on it.
    Looking forward to that, I just love JP's playing.

• BidleyBidley Frets: 2926
    Bucket said:
    Bidley said:
    I LOVE his singing on the first couple of albums. He's rather lost it recently though IMO.
    Ruptured vocal chords due to food poisoning will do that to you.
    Yeah, James has been better on the last few IMO, he says he's feeling a lot better. It sound horrific, he's said he nearly quit over it. I think he sounds great on the new album, but not so good on the new live DVD from the clips I've seen.

For some good JP check out his solo at 5 mins on this:

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LukeageLukeage Frets: 35
    Is that from the new Periphery album that's coming out any time now or is that from the previous??
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    Classy solo, enjoyed that, cheers @chrispy108