NGD - my first ever OM -type....

LewyLewy Frets: 4184
edited June 2016 in Acoustics
I've played Nationals, parlours, archtops, and mainly gig dreads, but I've never had an OM (or any of the "O" models for that matter) until now....a pre-owned Collings OM2H:

Bought it unseen but had seen detailed pics of everything that matters (saddle height, break angle etc) and it has the exact same neck specs as as my D1A (1 11/16 nut, modified V) so I knew I was going to get on with that.

Collings recommend EJ16s on these ..... 12-53's feel a bit weird as I"m used to 13-56 on dreads but I'm acclimatising. Whilst I may yet try it (and structurally it would be fine) I don't think 13-56 would get more out of this one...may even be too much and lose some liveliness. 

Finish and build-wise it's the usual Collings flawless job. East Indian Rosewood for the back and sides looks a bit "meh" these days as it turns up everywhere but there's nice silking to the sitka top. Design-wise like most Collings it's not aping a particular corresponding Martin. I guess it falls between a standard OM28 and an OM28V....so it's a drop in rather than a long saddle (which actually works better for me because I like to have a high and low saddle and swap them out for certain applications which you can't do with a glued in long saddle) but proper slotted bridge and solid ebony pins rather than slotted plastic pins. Things like that, plus wood selection had me steering away from Martin on this occasion.

Have tried a few different string brands on it...don't think I've found "the one" yet. Have some 12-54 DR Sunbeams on the way - will see what they sound like next.

Enjoying so far, with finger style and flatpicking. Sounds particularly nice doing crosspicking style arrangements and fiddle tune stuff. I'm not quite sure why it's taken me so long to get round to owning one of these!
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9525
    I was in a similar boat myself till about 7 weeks ago... Never owned an OM, never really played many either...

After playing many, I settled on a Collings OM1 Custom. Gorgeous.

Congrats on yours - it looks like a corker !

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AliGorieAliGorie Frets: 308
    nice guitar Lewy, Om's share the same scale as Dreads so the playing tension (for 12's) would be familiar. I'd suspect it will be lighter braced compared to a Dread so sticking with 12' would be sensible.
    Strings - your gonna try DR Sunbeams so give DR rares a go and try Newtone Masterclass, both these makes are better than the £5 typical qualaty set.
    happy pickin
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4436
    Looks great!!