New build - not a kit this time.

What's Hot
I’ve built a few kits and Partscasters, and have now invested in a tools and machines that will let me build guitars from blocks of wood, but I didn’t realise I was going to get into woodworking when I started this project six months ago and ordered an unfinished body/neck from Matt Kemp at Serpentine Guitars. It was their DC model with ash body, flamed maple top, Indian rosewood neck and ebony fretboard. My role in the project (apart from funding it) was to stain and oil the guitar, wire the electrics and install the other components. These pictures were from Serpentine during their part of the build.

image image

image image
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• AustrianJohnAustrianJohn Frets: 1666
    I used a mid-brown stain on the top that was sanded back before applying a yellow stain – the combination has worked better than I had dared to hope. About 15 coats of Tru Oil followed. I would have put more coats on but each coat slightly darkened the body colour and I didn’t want it too dark.

The pickups are body mounted Bare Knuckle Blue Note Humbucker-sized P90s, which are remarkably quiet for single coil pickups.

image  image

0reaction image LOL 10reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    Wow! That's hugely impressive! Looks cool
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Yeah that looks great.
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6084
    Holy shyte! That is simply feckin' amazing.  You sir are a true artist. :)
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3851
    Beautiful.
  • Nice guitar, John =)
    Kemp Guitars - Custom Made Guitars for the Modern Rock & Metal Guitarist
  • Stunning hunter, I always love flame maple. 
    What made you go for the Bare Knuckles pickups? 
    'Less is more' or is it 'more is less?'

I had previously built a Gilmour inspired black Strat at a workshop run by James Collins. He recommended Bare Knuckle for that build and I went for the Irish Tour set. I was impressed with them, so decided to go Bare Knuckle again.

I've also used Iron Gear pickups in a number of builds, and the Wenge build has Oil City humbuckers. To be honest - I think they are all great!
    I had previously built a Gilmour inspired black Strat at a workshop run by James Collins. He recommended Bare Knuckle for that build and I went for the Irish Tour set. I was impressed with them, so decided to go Bare Knuckle again.

I've also used Iron Gear pickups in a number of builds, and the Wenge build has Oil City humbuckers. To be honest - I think they are all great!

I have to agree on the Iron Gear pickups you mentioned, John. I wish they were recognised as a decent pickup brand and not "cheap" pickups. Yes, they cost less than half the price of your average big brand pickup, but they genuinely are good pickups.

The pickups I put into all these recent builds when photographing them for the website are Iron Gears that I bought purely for that purpose... initially. However, once I get this latest batch finished I will be putting them into one of my own guitars. I've also put a Steam Hammer into a £1600 custom build before - at the customer's request.

No, I'm not an endorsee but for a lower priced pickup they really are worth considering.

Kemp Guitars - Custom Made Guitars for the Modern Rock & Metal Guitarist
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27343
    AustrianJohn said:

I have to agree on the Iron Gear pickups you mentioned, John. I wish they were recognised as a decent pickup brand and not "cheap" pickups. Yes, they cost less than half the price of your average big brand pickup, but they genuinely are good pickups.

I too have bought a load of Iron Gear pickups in my time.

It all depends on your price point.  

I couldn't really find anything better than IGs at that price for range and quality (of sound & build).  I then used to buy BKPs, but I'm not sure that the price differential over my current favourites (Oil City) is justified.  With BKPs there's a lot of corporate overhead cost in the price of the p'up, whereas with Oil City your money is going straight to the maker and will buy you a custom wind if you're after something a bit unusual.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.