Any experience of Atomic CLR powered monitor/Cab

What's Hot
MoANjAmMoANjAm Frets: 12
I'm considering an FRFR box and would be v interested in anyones experience of the CLR powered monitors?
Internet would suggest they are the puppies privates but always good to have lots of views. Will be using pedal board with Amplifire straight in and also to FOH.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13929
    edited June 2016
    I had one with an AXE-FX, the active wedge. They are pretty big and heavy, it's pro level and is loud. The tone is flat and full range. I found the whole Modeller and FRFR experience a little cold and the tone just lacked something in the mid range that could not match a tube amp and guitar cab, so I sold the rig. If I were to go back to FRFR I would want something a little smaller for home use but the CLR is perfect for stage if FRFR and modeller is to your liking

• firepaulmusicfirepaulmusic Frets: 362
    edited June 2016
    I had one with an AXE-FX, the active wedge. They are pretty big and heavy, it's pro level and is loud. The tone is flat and full range. I found the whole Modeller and FRFR experience a little cold and the tone just lacked something in the mid range that could not match a tube amp and guitar cab, so I sold the rig. If I were to go back to FRFR I would want something a little smaller for home use but the CLR is perfect for stage if FRFR and modeller is to your liking

Totally agree with this, I was into the Kemper for a while and had the CLR Active wedge. It weighed a ton...
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9446
    The Friedmann looks very good too
  • clarkydazclarkydaz Frets: 45
    I have 2 at home and also use them as monitors, a bit overkill for size but soundwise cant be beat for the price. yes they are heavy, but small tanks. Still rather carry one of these around than a cabinet twice the size
    Anyone compared the CLR to something smaller, say a Yamaha ?
  • CatthanCatthan Frets: 355
    @Wazmeister

A bit too much talking and the sound is poor but good enough to tell the difference 
    Yamaha is decent but CLR sounds a bit fuller and closer to the real thing IMHO. Bloody expensive tho..
    But AFAIK it was designed for that whereas the yamaha is a pa speaker?
    There's also a part 2 vid.

• Si_Si_ Frets: 384
    edited June 2016
    The part 2 vid is better.. In part one he had the DSP enabled on the Yamaha which makes it sound worse, in the 2nd video he has it off and it's much better.

I think the CLR is probably better, but for the price and weight the DXR10 is excellent. 

@si - thanks mate, interestimg video that... Ive gone for the CLR - inbound tomorrow !!!
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2744

@si - thanks mate, interestimg video that... Ive gone for the CLR - inbound tomorrow !!!
    Looking forward to seeing what you think of it.        Was there any reason you went for the atomic over the freidman?
    @john_p - tough decision really mate... Online reviews seem to favour the CLR, weight is lighter, and the CLR can used in a few positions.

We shall see mate !

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2744
    that makes sense. As I go round in circles I was leaning towards the Friedman if I stay with the ax8.
    Have you got a normal PA type speaker to compare with the clr or just a ton of nice amps?
    Just a ton of nice amps mate !

The AX8 is now one day into its trial... Very impressed so far. Not as instant as the FX8, needs a bit more tweaking, but working surprisingly well with the Rambler and the Lazy J...

I've got a dxr10 but haven't had a chance to really use it yet. defo interested to know how you get on with the CLR.
    CLR arrived this evening...
    We need some feedback and videos with the CLR + AX8 combo.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7350
    Bumping this :-) 

How did the experiments go guys ? 
    Red ones are better.