String recommendations for Takamine electroacoustic

What's Hot
robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3021
I'm mostly an electric player, but have a Takamine EF261S WR electroacoustic that I use when required. I used Ernie Ball Regular Slinky on my electrics but never really know what strings to by for this guitar. Any suggestions? R.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• bluechargeboybluechargeboy Frets: 1894
    Buy 12s in phosphor bronze, should be a good start. They are the "standard" acoustic guitar string I would say. D'Addario are well-liked. Ernie Ball do 'em too.

You can get lighter strings for acoustic but heavier strings sound more...good.

(I use Martin Retro monel alloy strings, but I am in a minority with that. I much, much prefer them to bronze)
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    D'Addarios are good - Elixir Nanowebs last almost indefinitely and sound okay (rather than 'stunning').

12s are a good compromise for playability/tone.
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4423
    D'Addarios are good - Elixir Nanowebs last almost indefinitely and sound okay (rather than 'stunning').

I bought some of those though they're £18 a packet!?
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    thomasross20;1127732" said:

I bought some of those though they're £18 a packet!?
    Amazon is your friend:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0002E1O7W/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1467015816&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=elixir+nanoweb+acoustic&dpPl=1&dpID=51f3u9BULNL&ref=plSrch

I only use those on my GS Mini, which is out on a stand and gets played a lot. Their longevity justifies their cost - it's not just that they last well - they say at the 'sounding good' stage of their life-cycle for a very long time.

On my 'serious' acoustic (Martin D28) I use D'Addario or - when I can find them - Martin Marquis.
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9498

My normal acoustic strings are D'Addario EXP (12-53 or 13-56) as I found the bass strings better (louder) than Elixirs. I've been recently impressed with the Martin coated strings as well. Only just put them on so I don't know how long they'll last.

I also like the Retro Monel strings. They have an interesting sound and life-pattern, but I think best suited for smaller bodied guitars and fingerpicking.

Damn, I just bought some for £18, too :(
  • LooseMooseLooseMoose Frets: 908
    I'd recommend Elixir 'HD'strings - the coating makes them last longer and sound great (IMO) but the gauges are designed to give a very even response across all the strings which really brings out the tone of the guitar (IMO again of course)

Not cheap but worth it
    To be fair, acoustic strings seem to last forever, anyway...
  • BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 766
    I use D'Addario 12's or Martin bronze 12's
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3021
    Cheers folk.

Due to timing, I'm getting the guitar set up with Dunlop 12s that the guitar tech supplies, burt I'll investigate some of those other options over the coming weeks. The Elixir HDs sound ideal.

Thanks again,

R.
  • AliGorieAliGorie Frets: 308
    's
    To be fair, acoustic strings seem to last forever,
    only for some Thomas others can render a set of PB's useless after half an hour of playing.
    point 1 Robin, are u that kinda guy ?.
    2; are they for playing plugged in or acoustic playing ?
    3: how much are u prepared to pay ?.
    4: u'r guitar will have it's own 'tone' - how it's made and what from, u will have u'r idea of what sounds 'good' and different strings along with the previous two mentioned give different results.
    Time to get experimenting.
    happy pickin
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3021
    1. My electric strings tend to last for ever. I have no data for acoustic guitars as I don't play all that much
    2. They are for playing plugged in
    3. money is not an over-riding issue but I'm not looking to burn it
    4. Yeah, I guess I need to experiment.

Cheers,

R.
  • bluechargeboy;1127509" said:
    Buy 12s in phosphor bronze, should be a good start. They are the "standard" acoustic guitar string I would say. D'Addario are well-liked. Ernie Ball do 'em too.

You can get lighter strings for acoustic but heavier strings sound more...good.

(I use Martin Retro monel alloy strings, but I am in a minority with that. I much, much prefer them to bronze)
    Another retro Monel fan,got them on my acoustics
  • TroyTroy Frets: 224

I use the Elixir Nanowebs on my Acoustic.
    I find the nanowebs feel weird - I probably wouldn't buy again
  • bluechargeboybluechargeboy Frets: 1894

I changed to monel strings because for me, bronze do not last for 2x45 minute sets. Monel can last me two gigs and several practices, and they feel somehow smoother under one's fingers, love 'em.

I used to use coated but I would tend to tear the coating off in the plectrum area, rendering them no better than normal strings!

I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4901
    I've always liked Country Gold (Rotosound?).  

They are what they call "piano-wound", which means that the wound strings have the core exposed where they contact the saddle.