Oil City Masterwound Blackbird 'Afterburners'

OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10227
edited June 2016 in Made in the UK tFB Trader
Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

1reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7321
    Got a description?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3493
    What size are the slugs?  Are they larger than normal ones? 

Look tasty as ****. 

Busy times at Oil City it seems!  
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10227
    edited June 2016 tFB Trader
    Pretty much as the standard blackbird ... but with a rather funky red wire winding. 13k bridge alnico 5, 9.8k neck alnico 4, designed for technical metal, but also one of the most versatile humbuckers I make.

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

tFB Trader
    What size are the slugs?  Are they larger than normal ones? 

Look tasty as ****. 

Busy times at Oil City it seems!  
    Slugs are normal, the clear bobbins make them look bigger

Ah cheers for the info Ash. 

• RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    'Technical Metal'? For the more old school here (me) does that mean it is less warm or just has increased dynamic range?
    edited June 2016
    Richardj said:
    'Technical Metal'? For the more old school here (me) does that mean it is less warm or just has increased dynamic range?
    I think 'technical metal' is the Djent type thing.  As much as I like metal, it's a genre I have no absolutely no idea about!  Too many metal sub genres - too much Iron Maiden to listen to which gets in the way to learn about the other genres. 
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11540
    tFB Trader
    They are very versatile and old school rock is we'll catered for. If you'd consider a Duncan JB, custom5, custom etc then these will work for you.

I've had them in LPs etc and they work nicely.

I have guitars with them in in the Feline workshop if wanted to try a set. We keep the Blackbird in stock too

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• SquireJapanSquireJapan Frets: 698
    They are very versatile and old school rock is we'll catered for. If you'd consider a Duncan JB, custom5, custom etc then these will work for you.

I have guitars with them in in the Feline workshop if wanted to try a set. We keep the Blackbird in stock too
    Is this what I've ended up with, or is that something else?

If so ... I might be in a position to do a review soon :D
    tFB Trader

Is this what I've ended up with, or is that something else?

If so ... I might be in a position to do a review soon :D
    Was that for me or @FelineGuitars ?

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11540
    tFB Trader
    It was for me 
    SquireJapan/Chris is having a Blackbird in he bridge of his Ibanez Prestige (black variety but just as lovely)

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• SquireJapanSquireJapan Frets: 698
    FelineGuitars;1130188" said:
    It was for me SquireJapan/Chris is having a Blackbird in he bridge of his Ibanez Prestige (black variety but just as lovely)
    Ah, my mistake! Sorry :P
    tFB Trader
    You'll like it :-) ...I hope 

• webrthomsonwebrthomson Frets: 1031
    edited July 2016
    You'll like it :-) ...I hope 
    Sure he will - Jonathan put a set in my B6 and I love them - there are the only passives pickups that I've used in years that have got me rethinking my active pickup additction for playing live ;-)
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    I presume these would be too thick and powerful for my Jaden. The Blackbirds in it are already making a Les Paul Custom sound thin and weedy. (I had to buy a boost pedal so I could set the amp for all my other guitars and turn the boost down when I plug in the Jaden). The normal Blackbirds are the best shred and distortion pickups I´ve ever owned. these things must be mental.  
    tFB Trader
    These are very similar, only the mildest tweaking ... just a limited edition look for those who like red :-)

• thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4436
    Too metal for me but they look VERY cool and it's GREAT that you're doing sound clips!
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7321
    If you mean sound then I wouldn't really consider them metal. Cleans are really good. I use them for Bruno Mars to Guns N Roses in my covers band.
    tFB Trader
    DefaultM said:
    If you mean sound then I wouldn't really consider them metal. Cleans are really good. I use them for Bruno Mars to Guns N Roses in my covers band.
    They were designed to compliment the Blackmachine B6 originally, so while definitely made to be sympathetic to very high gain treatments, they also had clarity and note definition built in. Personally I use them on my own guitars for everything from blues/rock to out and out thrash. The neck pickup is alnico IV and really a 'souped up' PAF style wind, so very controllable on the volume control. For the traditionally minded they can be made in more conservative guise: plain black, zebra or double cream (don't tell Larry) ... or with nickel covers. They do well in 'Super Strats' where they can work HH or with any of my single coils in HSS or HSH (StoneTones or Triple Blues match exceptionally well) ... and though they were never designed for use in Les Pauls, the seem to be perfectly at home in those as well - doing a good job of 'lightening' an overly plummy neck position, and giving a really 'honky' and almost Tele like middle switch position.

• @TheGuitarWeasel apologies for resurrecting such an old thread but I've got some normal Blackbirds which I put in a Ibanez RG721. It sounds good but I never use the guitar out of the home and I'm really considering pulling out the Burstbucker Pros in my 2007 (chambered) Les Paul. Do you know what kind of difference that's likely to make?
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent