New Stoner/Doom Metal pickup

What's Hot

Comments

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10264
    tFB Trader
    ThorpyFX said:
    Ash, is this another step on from the DEJENTERATOR?
    Sort of, yep it's the ultimate weapons escalation :-) and the humbucking version of your 'Void'. 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3493
    Interesting the controversy this pickup has stirred up. There are definitely two approaches to producing the sounds we are talking about here, the low /medium output approaches can be exemplified by revivalist bands like Kadavar, Graveyard or Blues Pills, and I already produce plenty of low to medium output pickups for that route. The other 'high output approach could be exemplified by Matt Pike and his use of Lace 'Dirty Hesher' pickups.
    Seymour Duncan has developed the custom shop 'Slug', for which you will see he has specifically mentioned doom and stoner metal players as his target market.
    Bare Knuckle produce the Warpig (21k)and the Pig 90, and my own Void 22k P90 has already been selling well in that market too.

At Oil City we try to provide well engineered alternatives to more mainstream brands in all genres and with all approaches, and we will certainly not be leaving out customers who want to take the high output route.
    The answer is simple, pick your pickup according to your kit and preferred method of getting the job done ... we will have a pickup waiting for you.

The Bob Balch bridge Railhammer seems on the higher side of output as well.  That with the Sleep/HoF guy's LS's (maybe the Mastodon LS's as well?) are some higher output 'stoner' pickups I can think of. 
  • LewLew Frets: 1657
    No contrevacy but as I said I think you're getting your wires mixed up :)

Actually I think most people would agree that Matt Pike only really had that sound for quite a short time. Holy Mountain, Dopesmoker and the first couple of High on Fire albums - The Art of Self Defense and Surrounded by Thieves. Anything Blessed Black Wings onward Matt Pike has been very heavily leaning toward a more traditional thrash JCM800/SLO tone.

The bands you linked aren't Doom.

Doom is the first six Sabbath albums. Every St. Vitus album. The first Pentagram album. Early Cathedral.

Modern Doom bands. Pallbearer. YOB. Conan. Slomatics Holly Hunt. Electric Wizard. Bongripper.

Big clean amps with zero preamp gain and fuzz pedals. Lots of Fuzz pedals. Especially tuned Si FF circuits like the D*A*M Meathead. 

:-)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    Lew said:
    Doom is the first six Sabbath albums. Every St. Vitus album. The first Pentagram album. Early Cathedral.

Modern Doom bands. Pallbearer. YOB. Conan. Slomatics Holly Hunt. Electric Wizard. Bongripper.
    Sorry for going off topic but what do you think of Pallbearer?  Their second album is great, but their first album is quite something.  I can't remember the last time I was taken by an album like I was when I heard 'Sorrow & Extinction'. 
    tFB Trader
    Lew said:

Actually I think most people would agree that Matt Pike only really had that sound for quite a short time. Holy Mountain, Dopesmoker and the first couple of High on Fire albums - The Art of Self Defense and Surrounded by Thieves. Anything Blessed Black Wings onward Matt Pike has been very heavily leaning toward a more traditional thrash JCM800/SLO tone.

Big clean amps with zero preamp gain and fuzz pedals. Lots of Fuzz pedals. Especially tuned Si FF circuits like the D*A*M Meathead. 

Refer to my previous answer ;-)

'Seymour Duncan has developed the custom shop 'Slug', for which you will see he has specifically mentioned doom and stoner metal players as his target market.
    Bare Knuckle produce the Warpig (21k)and the Pig 90, and my own Void 22k P90 has already been selling well in that market too.

At Oil City we try to provide well engineered alternatives to more mainstream brands in all genres and with all approaches, and we will certainly not be leaving out customers who want to take the high output route.
    The answer is simple, pick your pickup according to your kit and preferred method of getting the job done ... we will have a pickup waiting for you'.

If you don't like the concept you don't have to buy em. People ask, I make, simples, (squeak)

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2016
    @earwighoney I think they're ace. Foundations was a grower for me. Took a few listens but when it clicked I dig it more than the Sorrow. They're great live too :-) Solidstate amps and single coils! They're just recording the third album now. Looking forward to that.
    Lew said:
    @earwighoney I think they're ace. Foundations was a grower for me. Took a few listens but when it clicked I dig it more than the Sorrow. They're great live too :-) Solidstate amps and single coils! They're just recording the third album now. Looking forward to that.
    Yeah I agree, Foundations is a grower.  Took me a while to get into it but it's awesome.  

I hope to catch them the next time they tour!  
    Lew said:

Refer to my previous answer ;-)

'Seymour Duncan has developed the custom shop 'Slug', for which you will see he has specifically mentioned doom and stoner metal players as his target market.

The answer is simple, pick your pickup according to your kit and preferred method of getting the job done ... we will have a pickup waiting for you'.

If you don't like the concept you don't have to buy em. People ask, I make, simples, (squeak)

Couldn't care less what Seymour Duncans marketing team says. I've had a calibrated pair of BKP Alnico Warpigs in a guitar for years. I wouldn't use those for Doom either. Don't think many would. I was trying to help ya out really with your incorrect reading of a genre and the gear used but no worries I have no horse in the race and didn't come to piss in your thread.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • metalemetale Frets: 57
    Lew,

What would you market a 22K hot humbucker for?
    The hard of hearing? I dunno. Tail waggin the dog innit?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Lew;1138364" said:
    The hard of hearing? I dunno. Tail waggin the dog innit?
    DCR does not equal output.

You mentioned Iommi. Iommi's prototype (Released instead as El Diablo) is 22K.

SD markets the Slug for Stoner/Doom.

BKP markets the Warpig and the Pig 90 for Stoner/Doom.

OCP markets the H.E.L/H.A.L for Stoner/Doom. I don't see what the problem is.

My main guitar for standard tuning Metallica-type tonez? An ES semi-hollow with an alnico IV humbucker. Whatever works for you.

Obviously there is a market for this. Want vintage PAFs instead? I'm sure oil city can wind you as many as you want to buy ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    K
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    FFS, I´m pretty sure if you have a signal, enough gear and decent hands you can get to the tone you need to play what you wish. This is hardly the point. Some people will like the sound of these, and they can buy them. Other´s won´t and they are absolutely free not to buy them. My personal experience with oil city suggests that the pickups won´t sound shit. My and other people´s dealing with Ash suggests a businessman of integrity.  
    edited July 2016
    I don't think anyone said anything about the pickups sounding shit or about Oil City's integrity? That's probably a different discussion you're having there. With yourself.

I was just querying Ash's knowledge of who he thinks he's marketing these too and I got my answer. You'd be better off making a 57 classic or a Tar-back or a bag of super skunk.

Anyway, with such fervent customers it's all rather moot how he markets them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    K
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    edited July 2016
    I tend to agree with Lew on this.

The thing about doom...its not really a very specific sub genre, its more of a scene or attitude towards music...so within doom you have some stoner bands (not The Sword, incase anyone is wondering) and you have some more thrashy bands (HOF) and you have your noise bands (Sunn O)))) and you even have your purely acoustic/non distorted stuff like Earth, you have some brutal stuff like Indian and Nails..then you have what is now modern doom like YOB

All these guys use different gear...the high output pickup guys are some of the more thrashy/hardcore influenced bands (eg Matt Pike and his dirty heshers) and i know the guy in Nails uses EMG's...but if you talk about the pure doom stuff like a YOB or Samothrace or Bongripper etc...then your talking PAF style pickups in a majority of cases.

I dont think marketing to Doom is bad thing...but
    maybe needs more parallels to bands, so it hits the right subsection.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2926
    Doom, widely-speaking, is a sub-genre characterised (at least in a guitar tone sense) by big, thick, down-tuned chords with a ton of sustain.

I don't see why marketing a pickup, which would definitely contribute positively toward that tone, is seen as such an offence. It's no different to marketing any high-output humbucker towards metal players, when half, perhaps more, don't use high-output humbuckers.
    Lew said:
    Actually I think most people would agree that Matt Pike only really had that sound for quite a short time. Holy Mountain, Dopesmoker and the first couple of High on Fire albums - The Art of Self Defense and Surrounded by Thieves.
    Which are, arguably, the defining moments of Pike's career.
    tFB Trader
    Personally I will be contributing no more towards this thread. My intention was simply to inform others of products I had available. I have done that, so I really don't want to get enmeshed in genre politics: people can take my pickups or leave them ... end of story.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12663
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom