Will these scales work?

Rayza1983Rayza1983 Frets: 40
edited June 2016 in Theory
Say I had a chord progression of Amin, Dmin and Emin all these chords are in the key of Amin. Now I know playing the Amin pentatonic scale and A natural minor scale works fine over this. Is it ok to play A minor scale over Amin chord, D minor scale over Dmin and E minor over the Emin? So using the parent scale for each chord? Would it make a progression sound funny? Jazz uses this theory (i think?) obviously in a bigger way. Any help would be great cheers
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10680
    edited June 2016
    It's ok but probably nicer to play the D minor as a D Dorian (ie with a B natural), and the E minor as an E Phrygian (ie with an F natural). In other words, if you were playing it all on the piano, to stick with just the white keys throughout.

Another option would be to play E major instead of E minor, in which case you could play E major with a D natural (ie E mixolydian), E Phrygian Dominant (which is E phrygian but with a major 3rd G#), E Hindu (E F# G# A B C D E) or even E super locrian, which is the jazzy E F G Ab Bb C D E. Try it! Those 4 only work if you're doing an E major though.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • Rayza1983Rayza1983 Frets: 40
    viz said:
    It's ok but probably nicer to play the D minor as a D Dorian (ie with a B natural), and the E minor as an E Phrygian (ie with an F natural). In other words, if you were playing it all on the piano, to stick with just the white keys throughout.

Another option would be to play E major instead of E minor, in which case you could play E major with a D natural (ie E mixolydian), E Phrygian Dominant (which is E phrygian but with a major 3rd G#), E Hindu (E F# G# A B C D E) or even E super locrian, which is the jazzy E F G Ab Bb C D E. Try it! Those 4 only work if you're doing an E major though.
    Thanks mate