Has anyone tried putting a P90 in on the bridge of a strat

What's Hot
ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11891
I like my BK Mississippi Queens a lot, I wonder what a P90 would be like on a strat,
since I usually don't find that SSH works for me

I think Wilkinson do some set up that way, but has anyone played any guitars set up with SSP?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    FretKing do one. Blues guitarist Debbie Davies used that set up a lot, she'd been back up guitarist to Albert Collins for a while and wanted to get closer to that biting sound on a strat.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    Ry Cooder's blue Strat had one for a while.

Probably down to his playing - but it sounded fantastic.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • koneguitaristkoneguitarist Frets: 4136
    Put a tele pickup in there, won't look so out of place and will be similar tone wise. Albert Lee did it on his first music man, sounded great.
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3494
    Ry Cooder's blue Strat had one for a while.

Probably down to his playing - but it sounded fantastic.
    Are you sure about that?  I thought RC's blue 67 strat, the one with the Bigsby tremolo and the wood block where the Strat tremolo was had a Bigsby Lap Steel pickup at the bridge and a Guyatone gold foil at the neck.  Or is it another one in question? 
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    earwighoney;1136588" said:
    Are you sure about that?  I thought RC's blue 67 strat, the one with the Bigsby tremolo and the wood block where the Strat tremolo was had a Bigsby Lap Steel pickup at the bridge and a Guyatone gold foil at the neck.  Or is it another one in question? 
    Here it is, in its earlier incarnation (filmed in the early 80s):

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11891
    or could use an overwound ?
    I thought Kinman did an Hx85 that was a bit like p90
    but now it seems they have one designed to be so:

• earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3494
    edited July 2016
    earwighoney;1136588" said:
    Here it is, in its earlier incarnation (filmed in the early 80s):

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QL7j_jx0IYs
    Cheers for that.  I didn't know about that earlier incarnation.  It sounds amazing like all the guitars RC plays but I am in agreement, his playing is the most important thing when it comes to his signature sound. 

Also, how thick is the low E on that guitar!  It looks like a telephone wire! 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14219
    tFB Trader
    I've contemplate going all 3 at some time or another - most under-rated pick up
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I've contemplate going all 3 at some time or another - most under-rated pick up
    I have 2 MQs on a LP-type guitar, just wondered how a nice clean strat neck pup  would compare

I did one have a set of hotter than usual kinmans in a mahogany strat, but the neck pickup was too dark for me
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2356
    yeah i've got a fretking with that setup. more dirt in the bridge like with an HSS setup but not too keen on position 4 as you can't split a p90 like you can a humbucker. maybe a tapped p90 would be an idea but as usual i haven't got round to it...
  • I experimented with putting all kinds of pickups in the bridge position of a Strat a few years ago, one of them a P90. It was great for dirty slide stuff, but I preferred a 57 Classic for all-round playing.
  • DaiCappDaiCapp Frets: 135

I've done a strat with just a P90 in the bridge - one pickup, one volume no tone control. Sounds immense but it's a overwound Rio Grande I popped in it... Definitely less toppy than normal but still not as thick sounding as a humbucker...

• DaiCapp;1137418" said:
    I've done a strat with just a P90 in the bridge - one pickup, one volume no tone control. Sounds immense but it's a overwound Rio Grande I popped in it... Definitely less toppy than normal but still not as thick sounding as a humbucker...
    Ha! That's exactly what I did.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    DaiCapp;1137418" said:
    Ha! That's exactly what I did.
    I put a treble bleed on my Mississippi queens
    very effective, I can get them down to a strattier sound when needed