Tweed Champ replicas/clones ?

What's Hot

Comments

• matonematone Frets: 211
    Thanks for the info on the Swart,I assumed they were a Champ with a bit `more` !
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6059
    Just had an email circular saying Fender are releasing a hand wired Tweed Champ - £900.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Babones said:
    Awesome little tone boxes. Full of soul, even at low/clean levels. I have a Fender '57 Champ. It sounds much bigger than it looks.
    @Babones .. I agree  .. I have one as well. Great little amp.

Fender have introduced a new limited edition handwired Champ .. not cheap but will become collectable ..

https://new.andertons.co.uk/p/8160504100/combo-amps/fender-57-custom-champ-with-tweed-finish

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • BabonesBabones Frets: 1205
    Yes, I saw both the new Champ and Deluxe in a shop this weekend.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11873
    edited July 2016
    Wow, I never knew these Little things are that desirable and expensive !!! £901 for a 5w amp?  I know it is hardwired but holy ! And odd pricing....£1?

Last year I bought this off @4114effects and it has been my most used amp since.  Originally it didn't have a master volume but I asked him to add it in, hence the black knob.

It has 12AX7 like the Fender, and takes 6v6, 8" Celestion speaker and although i am currently running mine with 6L6 so it's more like 8w than 5w.

The secret to this that not only it has a boost switch for more gain/compression and a cathode bypass switch to cut bass and......an external speak jack out so it can be a little head shell.

My small board is bigger than it.  Tiny amp, big sound.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 4114Effects4114Effects Frets: 3131
    tFB Trader
    @RaymondLin glad to see it's still getting loved. Gear moves around fast on these pages so I'm pleased you still have it.

Keep meaning to build myself one sometime :-)
    I don't think I will ever sell it.  It has a wonderful core tone, it's light, small and takes pedals well.
    tFB Trader
    Yep. Going to make myself one lol
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • @raymondlin that is a beautiful amp, nice work @4114effects.
    @raymondlin that is a beautiful amp, nice work @4114effects.
    It is !

The original idea was that it is my tester to see if I like this kind of sound before I plunge on a Lazy J, but I think I am keeping both because of how good it is and its size.  I haven't use my Yamaha THR10 since getting it. 
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6059
    Wow, I never knew these Little things are that desirable and expensive !!! £901 for a 5w amp?  I know it is hardwired but holy ! And odd pricing....£1?

Last year I bought this off @4114effects and it has been my most used amp since.  Originally it didn't have a master volume but I asked him to add it in, hence the black knob.

It has 12AX7 like the Fender, and takes 6v6, 8" Celestion speaker and although i am currently running mine with 6L6 so it's more like 8w than 5w.

The secret to this that not only it has a boost switch for more gain/compression and a cathode bypass switch to cut bass and......an external speak jack out so it can be a little head shell.

My small board is bigger than it.  Tiny amp, big sound.

The bib's a cool idea. Keeps the drool off your excellent selection of pedals!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • markslade07markslade07 Frets: 833
    Yep. Going to make myself one lol
    Can you make us all one please? Pretty please.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4980
    @4114Effects, nice amp. It might be possible to build it with dual concentric pots to preserve your classy amp name on the panel.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

tFB Trader
    @rocker yep, either that or a better layout. The master volume was an addition at the request of Raymond. I'd have placed it better and labelled it properly had it been in the earlier stages of design.

@markslade07 more than happy to build for anyone who wants one :-)

Yeah the master volume knob is my own request after the amp was already been built.  I don't mind it. 
  • markslade07markslade07 Frets: 833

I'd be interested to know roughly how much one would cost to have built....like this one with the MV too. PM me if you prefer. Going through the process of flogging my HRD and want something smaller to replace it so this could be ideal.
  • jesonejesone Frets: 60

Me too. I'd be interested to know roughly how much one would cost to have built....like this one with the MV too. PM me if you prefer. Going through the process of flogging my HRD and want something smaller to replace it so this could be ideal.

• jesonejesone Frets: 60

Me too. I'd be interested to know roughly how much one would cost to have built....like this one with the MV too. PM me if you prefer. Going through the process of flogging my HRD and want something smaller to replace it so this could be ideal.

• matonematone Frets: 211
    edited March 2019
    Belated update! After some time scratched the Tweed  itch with a Weber Princeton 5f2a from Mgaw,it`s a fine sounding bit of kit ,lovely clean tone and gritty at ear friendly volumes!!! Not a Champ but really like the amp.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • My Cornell Romany is the sweetest sound I've ever heard from an amp. If you get the 10' speaker it will sound a bit boxy.
    The clean tone is nectar.

I've had mine since new, 2003 and it is never leaving me.

Give Dennis a call.
    If I had talent, I'd be talented.
    Red meat and functional mushrooms.
    Persistent and inconsistent guitar player.
    A lefty, hence a fog of permanent frustration

Not enough guitars, pedals, and cricket bats.
    USA Deluxe Strat - Martyn Booth Special - Electromatic
    FX Plex - Cornell Romany