is it just me when it comes to martin guitars

What's Hot
musicman100musicman100 Frets: 1711
edited July 2016 in Acoustics
Is it just me that can't really find a martin that I like enough to buy. I've tried loads n I've always wanted to love them but apart from the eric Clapton model ive always come away feeling cold.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BahHumbugBahHumbug Frets: 350
    I've never found a Martin that I got on with at all. Lots of people like them, which is fair enough.  I don't.
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4436
    I like them, depends what model. I like those omcp models, actually.

I find the action on them is really good. Prefer the sound of my larrivee.
  • SquireJapanSquireJapan Frets: 698
    Martins are literally the only acoustics I can stand.

Horses for courses...
  • musicman100musicman100 Frets: 1711
    Martins are literally the only acoustics I can stand.

Horses for courses...

Definitely, it's like me with electric guitars as I'm a massive fan of gretsch but thier not everyone's cup of tea.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7765
    You could be more specific? If you've only played rosewood models then you should try a D-18.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13938
    Many guitars copy the Martin designs so what exactly is it you don't like? Looks, woods used, feel, tone?

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11889
    I believe they are all very expensive for what they are
    For the same price as a Martin, you can get a boutique guitar with a better sound from the smaller US builders (Or Avalon, Lowden, etc)
  • I'm so relieved it's not just me.  When I was in the fortunate position of being able to afford a good acoustic, I knew I wanted a Martin.  After trying nearly every one in the (huge) shop, I came home with a Taylor.
    I believe they are all very expensive for what they are
    For the same price as a Martin, you can get a boutique guitar with a better sound from the smaller US builders (Or Avalon, Lowden, etc)

My Larrivee is all-wood, light, sounds fantastic, and was £800 or so. And that included a case that costs $250USD. 
    TOTAL bargain buys are Larrivees.
    I'm like that with Taylor - I don't get on with them, sorry to say.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    Martin is THE classic flat top. Virtually every 'boutique' brand uses their designs as their starting point. They are a tonal 'benchmark'.

Modern Martins are extremely consistent and very playable. And compared to other US brands - reasonably priced - if not exactly 'cheap'.

Not really sure what's not to like....
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    They vary.  To me the vintage spec ones with the forward shifted bracing sound a lot better than the ones with the post war bracing style.

In the recent production it's very hard to find a bad one, but some are better than others.  If you can find a really great one they stand up to anything from any maker.  If I had to list the top ten acoustics I've ever played there would definitely be at least 3 or 4 Martins in there, and most of the others would be from very expensive boutique brands that are more expensive than Martin.

By the way the OP might want to move this to the acoustic section.
    Imo if you take collings for example they basically copy martins design but make a better guitar. The last martin i tried was a d28 and imo it was very poor for the money as It just lacked something. But at the end of the day it's all down to personal preference. I have a collings now n to me it's everything i wanted a martin to be n more.
  • BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 766
    Imo if you take collings for example they basically copy martins design but make a better guitar. The last martin i tried was a d28 and imo it was very poor for the money as It just lacked something. But at the end of the day it's all down to personal preference. I have a collings now n to me it's everything i wanted a martin to be n more.
    Fair enough, but I've found the opposite to be the case. I tried a D28 against a Collings Dread which was £600.00 dearer and I preferred the Martin. That's not to say there was anything wrong with the Collings it was a beautifully made instrument, but I preferred the D28.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72295
    It very much is personal preference. I've never played a Collings I even like.

To me they've copied Martin's (or Gibson's, depending on the model) designs and taken out everything that gives them the tone and character I want. Beautifully made but entirely uninspiring, to me.

That's not just restricted to Collings either, I feel the same about every other high-end brand guitar I've ever played as far as I can remember.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    Should have tried an HD28V.  I'd definitely take that over a Collings and it's a couple of hundred cheaper than the Collings D2H.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    ICBM;1138833" said:
    It very much is personal preference. I've never played a Collings I even like.

To me they've copied Martin's (or Gibson's, depending on the model) designs and taken out everything that gives them the tone and character I want. Beautifully made but entirely uninspiring, to me.

That's not just restricted to Collings either, I feel the same about every other high-end brand guitar I've ever played as far as I can remember.
    I agree about Collings - I find them stiff and lacking in subtlety - I really don't 'get' their appeal at all.

I once got close to replacing my D28 with a Santa Cruz, which when I tried it in the shop blew me away. To be sure, I went home and got my Martin. I spent ages comparing the two and concluded there were aspects of each which I preferred over the other - but neither 'won' outright. Given that my Martin has great sentimental value, I've stuck with it ever since.

Incidentally, I much prefer the post-War bracing. The tone is more even - with more sustain. The forward-shifted models have greater dynamics - but are less tonally balanced.
  • SRichSRich Frets: 762
    edited July 2016
    Never played one - nor any affiliation - but if you like the Clapton Sig..........this also looks very appealing

"There's things I want, there's things I think I want 
    There's things I've had, there's things I wanna have" 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    I haven't played that many but the only one that really blew me away was a very old pre-war 00-28 parlour sized thing. It sounded absolutely glorious although the action was a bit of a challenge.
    Well I'll stick with collings as imo there great