If you had £400 to spend on an acoustic, what would you get?

What's Hot
fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23950
I've never had a good acoustic. I've had an average Yamaha electro, and I've had a 'far better than it should have been' kids nylon string that is now falling apart.

I like nylon strings but I don't like the full size fretboard that is usually found on a classical - hence me keeping the kids one for as long as I have.

I usually play with fingers - I'm not really a strummer when it comes to acoustics.

So I'd like something with a small body and with a neck that is more similar to an electric than a classical - and probably with nylon strings.

Can I do that for £400? New or used is fine.

ta
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 766
    You probably want to look at a crossover type model like this :

Cordoba might have something in that price range if you can find one locally.
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    edited July 2016
    What 'big' (i.e. places with a healthy and varied stock level) guitar shops are near you?

Sounds like you need to go somewhere with a range of models to see what suits.

Last time I was in a branch of GuitarGuitar for instance I saw quite a lot of nylon strung guitars of all kinds. Staff were helpful too.
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3491
    Cordoba have a number of 'crossover' models.

Are you looking for something with 12 or 14 frets to the body join?  Cutaway or not?  Cedar or Spruce soundboard?  By full sized fretboard do you mean scale or nut width?  
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23950
    Nut width. 

I'm in Northants. So there is a PMT for the Zakk Wylde kids and not a lot else.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11413

Nut width on those is still 48mm.  That's really wide for anyone used to anything other than a classical.

The Furch above has a 45mm nut width which is a lot more sensible but Thomann list that as €1098 new.  It's probably not going to be available for £400 even second hand.

I've wondered about getting nylon string but the nut width thing has always been a problem on almost all of them.  The Furch does look good but it's a lot of money for something that I would only use occasionally.
    48mm is too much. Even my widest 5 string bass isn't that wide.

That Furch looks great but it is out of my budget. However I am wondering about saving up a bit longer to widen the choice.
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4423
    Used Larrivee
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3491
    48mm is too much. Even my widest 5 string bass isn't that wide.

That Furch looks great but it is out of my budget. However I am wondering about saving up a bit longer to widen the choice.
    The only nylon string with such a narrow nut I can think of in that price range would be a second Guild GN-5.  

I personally believe nylon strings require a bit more space at the nut than steel strings.  I'd advocate at least trying a guitar with a 48mm nut first. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26753
    Steel strung, but the Taylor 214 I had for that kinda budget was a fantastic guitar.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • AliGorieAliGorie Frets: 308
    used Eastman or Blueridge would fit the bill
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6090
    tFB Trader
    a second hand faith naked, really nice guitars indeed

Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Another vote here for a Faith guitar. I have tried lots of different models and have always been impressed with what they offer for the price.
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4902
    I bumped into a guy last year playing bossa-type jazz stuff on a really tasty Crafter - nylon-strung, with a cutaway, and reasonably narrow nut (felt about the same as my Seagull, which is 45mm).

Sadly not sure of the model number though.

I see Sheehan's in Leicester are dealers for them, not too far away for you?
    I had forgotten about Sheehan's. I might go on a trip!
  • stickersticker Frets: 869
    I have a Crafter CT125N , which is their Tele shaped nylon sting acousticaster rip off , it's the only nylon strung guitar I've ever been able to get on with .

The neck is more like a steel string/electric , they seem to go for peanuts on eBay when they do come up for sale . 
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    Godin do a narrow nut version of their nylon string acoustic ( I think it's called ACS slim)...you might track down a used one.
    I know they are steels but what are the Taylor GS Mini like?
  • stickersticker Frets: 869

in a word "Glorious" I bought a Koa mini e series last month from Peach (at 0% finance over 2 years it was stupid not to) and I haven't touched any of my other guitars this month .

They are very comfortable , very playable and punch well above their weight . I was expecting a bit of the usual smaller bodied boxiness but there really isn't any and it keeps up with my 414ce which cost 3 times as much .

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11790
    I used to prefer classicals but not any more now that I have really good steel-strungs

You can get crossover nylons with narrower necks, usually cutaways
    Also, if you bide your time, you can get amazing bargains on ebay for traditional nut-width classicals with no cutaway, I suspect that people buy a good one to learn on, then many give up. I got a mint solid-wood Spanish-made one for £50 once worth £300 new. Seller had no case, and lived out in the sticks in Wales, so was collection only. Sometimes, Pro-level ones go for well under half price

For a steel strung, you have several nut widths. 1.75 inch is probably best for most finger-style
    I have a couple that are 1 and 7/8 inches, which are good for classical-style pieces, etc

Good steel-strungs typically have better intonation than traditional classicals, which can improve the pleasure of playing - it does for me
    Listen to Tony McManus's "Mysterious boundaries"
    spotify:album:5fDTmuUhsYGfqTVIBGuYoY

for steel strungs, at £400 I'd look for used solid-top guitars
    The higher spec BlueRidges would be £200-£300 I think
    There are lots of well-made guitars that go for £500-£1000 new, so for £400 you'd get something good

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom