EL84 Recommendations?

What's Hot
So it looks like one of the EL84s in my Express 5:25 is DOA, bit of a shame but no other apparent problems with it.

I'm not very knowledgable on what's good or not in the world of valves, so recommendations on a reasonably priced pair would be nice thanks. :)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    Global consus is that for off the shelf tubes, JJ's is the way to go. There are of course way more options depending on your budget and personal preference.
  • Cheers, are we still anti-Watford/pro-hotrox? :D
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    That might be the general consensus as well! Only ever had good service from Hotrox.
  • Used to shop with Watford until I called for advice on cryo vs normal (I was naive and young when I had my first valve amp) and he got short with me.  

Hotrox ftw :)
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11413
    I've always had good service from WV.  He replaced a pre-amp valve that went bad within a week or two straightaway - very good.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71959
    I've had problems with both Watford and Hotrox over faulty valves.

I use Karltone now, first class service and no issues apart from one faulty 6L6 which was replaced immediately without needing to send the duff one back.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• Ah I forgot about him, he was an MR forumite iirc?
  • DanDan Frets: 440
    Yeah ive used Karltone a few times and had great service. JJ's EL84's for me.
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    This is of interest, need to revalue my f30!
  • So is there any reason to look at anything else in that sort of price range, or are the JJ's more than good enough? I'd expected alternatives to Mesa valves to be more moolah tbh so the £22/set for JJs seems very reasonable. :)
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    I think I'm going to go with a pair of the EH EL84s, I've always liked their preamp valves so I think I will give them a whirl.
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8481
    I find the eh el84s sound ok to start with but begin to get dull quite quickly and have a habit of failing. Much prefer jj - slightly better sound to me but definitely the most reliable in my experience. Which surprised me because I really don't like their pres.
  • JCA2550JCA2550 Frets: 431
    I favour JJs for reliability and tend to buy most of my valves from Karltone too. A good tip is to buy them in matched quads, or even more if you can afford it. EL84s always seem to work hard and die sooner than other power valves (IME), so a backup supply with very similar ratings is handy.
  • Has anyone tried the JJ EL844's? The amp'll be spending most of it's time in 5w mode at home so the low-power spiel sounds promising, if it's not snake oil. :)
  • Also has anyone tried the nos Russian Philips EL84s that are perpetually on ebay from Langrex? Or even know anything about them?
  • CatthanCatthan Frets: 355
    Was reading about tubes on the Mesa board for replacements for my Lonestar and JJs seem to be the ones. However, if your amp is still under warranty it might worth considering Mesa valves just in case you your ever have to deal with their support and they blame any issue on non-mesa tubes and give you a hard time 'cause of that. Smth which I wish you won't have to go through btw
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71959
    Just keep your old Mesa valves, and if you ever have a problem, put them back in before you send it in for repair, and deny all knowledge :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • McTootMcToot Frets: 2041
    Also has anyone tried the nos Russian Philips EL84s that are perpetually on ebay from Langrex? Or even know anything about them?

I was wondering the same thing. I'm in the market for a new 84 to replace the one in my newly acquired Cornford...

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

My trading feedback  - I'm a good egg  ;)