Oil City Guitar and Bass review

What's Hot
OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 9983
in Made in the UK tFB Trader
Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3491
    I read that review on their website yesterday and I was scratching my head and the negatives for the Winterizer 2, as they seem to be positives to my perception! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 9983
    tFB Trader
    I think Huw was aiming the review at those who have little knowledge of how a real vintage Firebird sounds ... and that's a fair number of people to be honest. I agree, it sounds nothing like a PAF, and will disappoint people who are looking for a PAF style tone. Gibson have consistently failed to go back to their original design ... for whatever odd reason, and later Gibbo designs are far more PAF (or even higher output) influenced. The Winterizer II, and indeed the original, mini humbucker sized Winterizer is aimed firmly at those who want that sixties vintage tone, and in that market I really don't think there are many alternatives. 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16543

So the negative points of a Firebird style pickup essentially say "it sounds like a firebird pickup"?

And with the Tele set , it gives old school tone, but not 60's tone and doesn't actually look old???

It just shows how hard they had to think to get any negative points at all.  

• I agree. No relic'ing? Bugger off, it's a pickup. Give me half hour playing with it and it'll start corroding and getting gunky! 

And giving the firebird pickup a negative for, basically, not sounding like yet another PAF.

Nice work, Ash.