Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Composition Challenge #1 "Malian Desert Blues"

What's Hot

Comments

• TTony said:

TTony said:
    I'll sort it in the morning, if that's still the agreed approach.

You'll need to keep the new sub-section busy though.  If it goes dormant, it'll be culled.  

(I didn't mean that to sound like a threat, btw!  More an incitement for more ideas about doing proper stuff via the forum ... Maybe some collaborations could be kicked off?)

I'm also thinking that theFB funds should (at least) contribute towards prize costs, particularly if we can make the challenges popular.  Though I'll run that past my fellow admins first.
    Sounds good Captain
    @Antique_Guitars.

Done.

Now, use it or lose it ...
    I expect to see 300 music making threads by Fretwired in the next few days
    Old Is Gold
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Im hoping to see a few of the mods entering the competition!
    Old Is Gold
  • Sounds like a good idea. I'll try and come up with sometrhing.

(I have Off Topic 'silenced' so I've only just noticed this thread)
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    TTony said:

TTony said:
    I'll sort it in the morning, if that's still the agreed approach.

You'll need to keep the new sub-section busy though.  If it goes dormant, it'll be culled.  

(I didn't mean that to sound like a threat, btw!  More an incitement for more ideas about doing proper stuff via the forum ... Maybe some collaborations could be kicked off?)

I'm also thinking that theFB funds should (at least) contribute towards prize costs, particularly if we can make the challenges popular.  Though I'll run that past my fellow admins first.
    Sounds good Captain
    @Antique_Guitars.

Done.

Now, use it or lose it ...
    I expect to see 300 music making threads by Fretwired in the next few days
    I'll do my best .. maybe worth moving some of the other stuff like the backing tracks ... people seem to download them via the forum. Maybe the odd jam to pull people in for the main attraction of the big project.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28284
    I have to admit that it's too narrow a remit for me to want to have a go. I'd prefer challenges that allow you to express your choice of style, for example, a set of chord changes that could be tackled in any genre one cares to try.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisus said:
    I have to admit that it's too narrow a remit for me to want to have a go. I'd prefer challenges that allow you to express your choice of style, for example, a set of chord changes that could be tackled in any genre one cares to try.
    Well thats certainly something we can look at for a challenge later in the year, at the end of the day everyone feels comfotable doing different thing so over the course of the year we will attempt to do challenges that cater for these differences.
    Old Is Gold
  • Maybe in the meantime if you have time  you might like to contribute to the video intro music?
    Old Is Gold
  • Yeah, I think the challenges can cover anything - there will be folks who can apply for all of them, but I'll probably only manage a few because I'm a bit...Er.. Musically challenged :) 

Which is fine by me.  Variety is the spice of life and all that.
  • chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    This one's not for me at all, I'm not up for learning a new style of music I don't like for an online challenge. I understand the idea to push people out of their comfort zones a bit, but this is too far.

I think you'd be better off doing a challenge every week or two, then maybe every quarter you could have a vote for which of those quarters entries were 'best', although tbh I'm not sure there needs to be a prize at all.

Also, wouldn't the entries be better off on Soundcloud? That way people can vote on their, and also comment directly on the entries, at specific points, which could lead to some really helpful feedback.
  • My entry sent.
  • My entry sent.
    Yep thank you first entry is in and it sounds great.
    Old Is Gold
  • This one's not for me at all, I'm not up for learning a new style of music I don't like for an online challenge. I understand the idea to push people out of their comfort zones a bit, but this is too far.

I think you'd be better off doing a challenge every week or two, then maybe every quarter you could have a vote for which of those quarters entries were 'best', although tbh I'm not sure there needs to be a prize at all.

Also, wouldn't the entries be better off on Soundcloud? That way people can vote on their, and also comment directly on the entries, at specific points, which could lead to some really helpful feedback.
    Were taking it easy for now maybe the scope will change later on.

we coud possibly have a soundcloud page as well but at the moment we are tyring to reach out to people via youtube and get some more people joining the forum.
    Old Is Gold
    Not sure how Malian desert blues is 'taking it easy', or how successful it's going to be helping reach out.

As for Soundcloud vs Youtube, Soundcloud is where I look for music, Youtube is where I look for fail videos.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Not sure how Malian desert blues is 'taking it easy', or how successful it's going to be helping reach out.

As for Soundcloud vs Youtube, Soundcloud is where I look for music, Youtube is where I look for fail videos.
    Well everyone is different that is the problem, we shall just have to see what happens early days and all..............
    Old Is Gold
  • It doesn't have to be an authentic recreation of the style. Just 'inspired by' or 'a bit of the flavour of' Malian desert blues. Most people can play a bit of blues. Just try and stretch it a bit and see how much of that desert vibe you can drag in. Maybe find a suitable percussion loop and play something bluesy over that?
    My piece was just done with a guitar and a looper. I'm a fan of Tinariwen but I haven't studied or analysed any specifics about the style. I doubt my effort would sound very authentic to a Tuareg.
    :)
  • davewwdaveww Frets: 165
  • I can't stress enough how open this challenge is, it really is not as strict as people think there is a lot of scope for experimentation. It is supposed to be in the "style of" which to be honest is so varied when you actually listen to the stuff that you could create so many different kinds of sounds.
    Old Is Gold
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2025
    Hmmm... If it's that open, why be restrictive to the extent many feel is the case already.

I think, for the first challenge, a much more inclusive genre/ style might have been better. I look forward to listening to the entries but I'm afraid, in the words of Duncan from Dragons Den.... I'm oot!
  • Chuffola said:
    Hmmm... If it's that open, why be restrictive to the extent many feel is the case already.

I think, for the first challenge, a much more inclusive genre/ style might have been better. I look forward to listening to the entries but I'm afraid, in the words of Duncan from Dragons Den.... I'm oot!
    Got to have some boundaries plus its an attempt to avoid copying all the other music competitions out there, it is supposed to be a challenge. Might work might not we shall see, but don't fear the next challenge im sure will appeal to a broader range of peeps.
    Old Is Gold
    Fair enough, we obviously disagree, I just think you've missed an opportunity to really get something going.

If I'd have said "record at least two minutes of melodic death metal", people would be saying it was too closed, and they'd be right.

Whereas, if you said "record a 30 second bridge" as a starting point, then I could do a bit of melo-death, you could do a bit of malian blues, people could do some funk, others could do some 80s rock, and you'd have loads more entries, and maybe you'd build some momentum.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom