Lyric Pad app

What's Hot
p90foolp90fool Frets: 31519
My band has two singers who are never going to learn the words to anything, and the rest of us are fed up with two music stands with gigantic books on them. One of the singers is 4'11" and you can barely see her half the time.

I have an Android tablet and have downloaded the free (and frankly unusable, it's just a demo) version of this app, is anyone here familiar with it? Is it really easy to use?

It has to be fairly idiot-proof as I'm already playing guitar and running the PA and IEM systems so the dopey divas have to be capable of doing this themselves without hassling me before every song. I don't mind doing the admin of it, I just want nothing to do with it during the gig.

Thoughts and/or experiences?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 8692
    edited July 2016
    If you use something like SetListMaker then the singers' iPads can be linked. One of them can operate a Bluetooth foot pedal which drives both screens. It also means that they will both be seeing the same set of lyrics and Verse/Chorus arrangement.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31519
    Cheers I'll look into that, though trying to get them both to buy iPads will be a challenge.
    They both have Singer's Disease, everyone else has to spend a grand on gear but they rock up with a mic with no lead and a head full of where they'd rather be.
    :)
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4436
    See my video posted in this sub-forum. Our singers also use a music stand.

Why don't yours learn the words?
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4436
    p90fool;1144439" said:
    Cheers I'll look into that, though trying to get them both to buy iPads will be a challenge.
    They both have Singer's Disease, everyone else has to spend a grand on gear but they rock up with a mic with no lead and a head full of where they'd rather be.
    :)
    Lol I keep saying... singers should pay for the PA!
  • StageStruckStageStruck Frets: 102
    Having recently stepped up to the main mic to do lead vocals after our lead singer left, I've been using LyricPad on Android as a learning tool, mainly in the reheasal room. I've only done 3 or 4 gigs with it as a prompter for 2 or 3 songs, but for 95% of the live set it mainly sits on standby with little more than the list of songs on the screen. As for the app, it's ok, but could be better. It needs a little persistence with setting up the timings or the auto scroll can make your words roll off screen at the wrong moments. The formatting of the text on downloaded lyrics can sometimes need fine tuning also, but other than that it's worth a punt at £5 or whatever I paid for it. There is another which is similar for Android called Setlist Helper which is much the same but I've not had as much time to mess around with it so wont judge it. One thing I would say about LyricPad is that I only paid for it once, but have installed it on 4 different devices at no extra cost.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31519
    Nice one, thanks for that. I guess the way forward is to try it in rehearsals, I just have to get them to rehearse now!