Ouch - not the best start to a gig!

What's Hot
VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4721
edited April 2017 in Live
So, yesterday we were doing a house party gig for the 50th birthday of Simon, a friend of our drummers.  We were to get there around 4-4:30pm to set everything up - two of the guys were there already and I turned up just before 4:30.  Beautiful big house, and a lovely bright summer afternoon.  Simon greets me at the door and points to the garden where I can see the guys setting up, I wave and Simon says 'just go straight through.....I walk forward and....

BANG!

I walk straight into a huge glass patio door that he'd forgotten he'd shut!  No way you could see it was there! 

So, really bad gash on top of my nose, in shock and semi-concussed, blood pouring everywhere and just won't stop. One of the guys in the band takes me to Barnet General Hospital where, being a Saturday, this is their busiest night and its 'very busy' even by their standards.  I'm waiting for an hour just for triage so they can put a bandage on my nose to hold the bleeding. Then another 30 minutes until the nurse sees me to glue and put tape strips on my nose (they don't use stitches any more for this type of thing).  Normally I'd have had to wait longer but I explained I had a gig for a young couple's engagement party (slight variation, but thought that would get more sympathy from the young nurses/staff - which it did).   

The guys were texting me throughout to see how I was doing, and at 7:15 come and get me and we rush back.  Our drummer, bless him, has in the meantime set-up all my gear ready but we have to do a sound check whilst guests are ariving (which we wouldn't normally do, but we had no option).  

Simon and his wife (hosts) were really apologetic, and the word had got round to the guests as to what happened - everyone was asking if I was OK throughout the whole evening and saying I was a real trooper for playing, which was very sweet.  We did two sets - 20 songs in total, and although my concentration wasn't at its best for the first few numbers, we went down really well and rocked the place.

But not an experience I'd like to repeat though!  

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
1reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7281
    Maybe hey need to put stickers of a guitar player in silhouette on their doors like you do for birds :)
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7281
    My backup joke is "are you sure you're not the drummer?"
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • koneguitaristkoneguitarist Frets: 4134
    Should have just super glued it. ;)

Well done for doing gig. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4721
    edited July 2016
    koneguitarist;1145366" said:
    Should have just super glued it. ;)

Well done for doing gig. 
    That's exactly what they did! ;)
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • koneguitaristkoneguitarist Frets: 4134
    Did my head just before a gig as well, Bonnet dropped on my old Renault about 15 years ago, give me a right old clout, they just pulled my hair across the cut to close it and glued it.
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    your showing your age...in your 20's you would have put some duct tape over your nose and kept going
    edited July 2016
    samzadgan said:
    your showing your age...in your 20's you would have put some duct tape over your nose and kept going
    In my 20's I was 'ard  - my nose would have bust the patio door, not the other way round!  LOL!!  
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    Lucky you didn't bust the door... not sure if they can glue entire noses back on!
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2383
    Ouch! Well played that man for carrying on :) I had a similar thing a few months back - 5 hours before a gig, I sliced my index knuckle on my fretting hand clean off - was in hospital getting it bandaged, glued and stitched up, and had to play that night without bending my index finger..... not an easy feat, believe me!
  • paul_c2paul_c2 Frets: 410
    I can't help thinking you should embellish the story a little bit, to make it more "rock n roll". For example, how about saying that earlier on you'd thrown a telly through the window so it should have been a non-issue, but it was a flat screen portable TV and just bounced off?
    Damn why didnt I think of that! Lol
    FarleyUK said:
    Ouch! Well played that man for carrying on :) I had a similar thing a few months back - 5 hours before a gig, I sliced my index knuckle on my fretting hand clean off - was in hospital getting it bandaged, glued and stitched up, and had to play that night without bending my index finger..... not an easy feat, believe me!
    Wow, makes my nose pale into insignificance!  Hope you've recovered and can still play! 
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1377
    paul_c2 said:
    I can't help thinking you should embellish the story a little bit, to make it more "rock n roll". For example, how about saying that earlier on you'd thrown a telly through the window so it should have been a non-issue, but it was a flat screen portable TV and just bounced off?

And change the band name to (insert singers name here) and the manifestations 
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024