I've had it with these 4, 5 and 6 string chords bol*ocks

What's Hot
Getting sick and tired of banging out chords as they appear on my chord sheets. So I'm gonna try that 3 notes on 3 strings thing. Is it triads? Get stripped down.....learn what notes I'm actually playing...get a bit more fretboard savvy....different root notes/inversions....changing chords more efficiently by moving less fingers!!!  Maybe it's something I should have considered ages ago.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DulcetJonesDulcetJones Frets: 515
    If you're playing electric, especially rock(most genres) use only two strings in a lot of cases. These are commonly referred to as power chords and sound really cool with a bit(or lot) of overdrive/distortion. Usually it's the root note and the 5th note of it's scale that make one of these up. You have to learn to mute the strings you're not playing when using these. The chords to Black Sabbaths "Iron Man" is a great example. Google "hoe to play power chords on electric guitar" and you'll get lots of info, but a lot of these instructors say to add a third string playing the octave of the root as well, I prefer the sound without that extra note.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    A triad is the 3 notes of the chord played together. Even a chord across all 6 strings only contains 3 notes.Until you include extended chords. A couple of alternate for major/minor chords are sus chords. A sus 4 chord across all 6 strings (E shape) G is (low - high) 3/5/5/5/3/3 A sus 2 chord across 5 strings (A shape) C is (L-H) x/3/5/5/3/3, or Csus2/G is 3/3/5/5/3/3 A sus 4 chord across 5 strings (A shape) C is (L-H) x/3/5/5/6/3, or C sus4/G is 3/3/5/5/6/3 These shapes are moveable.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm currently trying to play major, minor and diminished triads on the top 3 strings only. Root, first and second inversions although the inversions could be other wierd chords in their own right. It's interesting and exasperating in equal measure.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ManneManne Frets: 7
    I just published a video blog covering diatonic triads in a major scale on strings set 123 including free pdf.
  • Manne said:
    I just published a video blog covering diatonic triads in a major scale on strings set 123 including free pdf.
    Hells teeth......this is bloo*y brilliant. This is what I'm trying to learn. Thanks for posting and for the link. This is another 'light bulb' moment in my quest to understand guitar playing.
    I just updated the tutorial covering diatonic triads by adding and comparing triads in the key of G and in the key of F. Please find the video and a free PDF on my blog page.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9657
    Google "hoe to play power chords on electric guitar" 

I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1372
    When I dep'd for a jazzy ska band, I did a lot of this, because the quick changes made it impractical for me to play full barred versions of some of the trickier chords, so I just worked out which notes gave the closest implication of the actual chord (which the keyboard player and bass player can fill in the rest of) so that I can hold down the rhythm.
  • I added another tutorial covering diatonic triads in the key of C major on string set 234. Please find the video and a free PDF on my blog.
  • Thanks Manne. Keep them coming please.
  • Thanks Manne. Keep them coming please.
    Will do  :)
  • Just play root and 10th, you can come up with some cool riffs that way too
    edited October 2016
    I just added tutorial part 4 to my blog covering diatonic open voiced triads on string set 135. Video and free PDF.
    I just published tutorial part 4 covering diatonic open voiced triads in the key of C major on string set 135. Please find the video and a free PDF here.
    I just published tutorial part 4 covering diatonic open voiced triads in the key of C major on string set 135. Please find the video and a free PDF here.