Jimmy Herring's picking technique

What's Hot
This is some of the best footage of his picking hand I've seen.  It looks like he uses a door knob turning sort of technique with a three finger grip like Steve Morse.  Amazing to watch:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    Pretty unusual. Unusually active wrist action.
  • grooviegroovie Frets: 15
    That lick he plays at 24 seconds is quite beautiful.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4183
    Vastly underrated guitarist, well worth checking out on YouTube , Aquarium Rescue etc etc
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    sweepy said:
    Vastly underrated guitarist, well worth checking out on YouTube , Aquarium Rescue etc etc
    Probably more 'unknown' than underrated. Everyone I've found online who had heard of him thinks that he's an incredible guitarist.
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    groovie said:
    That lick he plays at 24 seconds is quite beautiful.
    That sounds like a Derek Trucks lick.  There is another vid where Jimmy demonstrates some Trucks type stuff without slide.  
  • ElectroDanElectroDan Frets: 554
    It doesn't seem like an economical technique, but it's obviously working for him. He has a great tone and plays pretty fluidly.
    It doesn't seem like an economical technique, but it's obviously working for him. He has a great tone and plays pretty fluidly.
    Yeah he is using a lot of movement, although he combines it with legato for speed.  He can still rip through some amazing and complex lines at fast tempo though so he can.  
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3445
    You wouldn't want to learn this way or teach somebody to play this way as it's not optimal but Jimmy has made it his own.
    carlos said:
    You wouldn't want to learn this way or teach somebody to play this way as it's not optimal but Jimmy has made it his own.
    I dunno, I think the best way is to experiment and find whatever way works for you.  I don't hold the pick the "standard" way (I hold it backwards) and find it works better for me when playing fast.  I'm not a teacher but, if I was, I would certainly encourage students to experiment with their picking techniques and copy other players techniques until they find what works best.  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3445
    @bingefeller ;
    I hold the pick like that too, except I use only index and thumb as I need the middle finger to do my hybrid picking shenanigans. We're all built differently, but there are better and worse ways to do things from a biomechanical perspective. Herring has too much movement for it to be a recommended technique for most people. It works for him!