R.E.M. Sigh.

What's Hot

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72306
    *Not* in preference order, because that's too hard…

Maybe:

Life's Rich Pageant
    Document
    New Adventures In Hi-Fi
    Up
    Around The Sun

But I'm not even sure about that - they've just been too consistently good. There are at least ten albums in my top five :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1841

At this exact moment:

New Adventures in Hi Fi

Murmur

Monster

Reckoning

Green

Liable to change before the end of this sentence. Reveal and Around the Sun are the least likely to get into my top five, but the rest all have a fair chance depending on my mood.

Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • camfcamf Frets: 1191
    Since I started this...

Document
    Life's Rich Pagent
    Monster
    New Adventures in Hi Fi
    Murmur

Roughly... I think... for now. :)

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26964
    Everyone's saying NAIH-F. I'm going to have to give it another listen...
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 766

Life's Rich Pageant
    Document
    Green
    Fables of The Reconstruction
    Reckoning

After "Green" I lost interest I'm afraid.
    I had to think about NAIH-F but I was listening to it yesterday, so it was in my mind. I coud easily have demoted it, bumped up Murmur and put Reckoner in there. So many good albums.
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12897
    camf said:
    So top five favourite R.E.M. albums in order? :)

You're a bad man, that's an impossible question. I've deliberately not read anyone else's replies so as not to colour my own thoughts...

5. Up

4. Reckoning

3. Life's Rich Pageant

2. New Adventures In Hi-Fi

1. Monster

Automatic for the People and Murmur just missing out. On a different day it would probably be a different five and a different order.

Absolutely one of my all-time favourite bands. They went a bit downhill in the later years (Reveal and Around The Sun are mostly forgettable although there are a couple of tracks on Accelerate that I think are fantastic: Living Well Is The Best Revenge in particular). Big influence on me musically although I always wanted to be Mike Mills rather than Peter Buck. I try to play bass like Mike, although weirdly there's very few REM songs I've actually bothered to learn---stylistic aping rather than actually working out what he does.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537

Yes you really must. Leave, Undertow, So Fast So numb, E-bow the Letter - some of my fav REM songs right there.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12897
    dindude said:

Yes you really must. Leave, Undertow, So Fast So numb, E-bow the Letter - some of my fav REM songs right there.
    Hell yes. Bittersweet Me, New Test Leper, Electrolite---YES. YES. YES.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30888
    Useless piece of info...automatic was called so because of the guy that worked behind the pizza counter in Athens, Georgia, who handed every pizza over by saying 'Automatic, for the people...'

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26964
    I've also missed Reveal, which isn't their best but I love Imitation of Life, and it was the first REM record I really got into.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • TonyRTonyR Frets: 908
    I've never been a huge REM fan if I'm honest but I recently bought "Reckoning" as I like "Don't Go Back To Rockville" - I had the 12" single back in the day. 

I have to to say other than that track I found it rather dull, I was very disappointed.
    We are all Chameleons...
    Perfection

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Haven't seen that before... very good. :)
  • DarnWeightDarnWeight Frets: 2566
    edited July 2016
    Man, this thread has had me trawling youtube for far longer than I should. Good quality live REM stuff from the 80s is really tough to find...either the video or audio quality is usually lacking. This audio-only version of Welcome To The Occupation from a date on the Green tour is, however, total spine-tingling greatness...

I love that song.

I'd raise the stakes with a call for top five songs, but it's tough enough ranking the albums.
    New fangled trading feedback link right here!
  • SimpleSimonSimpleSimon Frets: 1025
    Great band with a great catalogue of music that is earthy, edgey and sometimes fragile beauty. Saw them in '99 headlining Glastonbury. They were fucking amazing. They did dwindle out a little but i think that was more reflective of where real music was going at that time, with people worshiping the whole X Factor generation and disposable artists. Age and family comittments of the band must have played a big part too. How many bands get almost 4 decades in?

Stipe (IMO) is one of the greatest vocalists of all time. Unique voice, incredible timbre and depth and most of all, dripping with emotion.

Superb live.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Stipe was party to one of the best things I've ever seen live.

Werchter festival 1999- they did The One I Love as a thunderstorm approached.

Stipe bellows out 'Fii-re....' and a bolt of lighting goes down behind the stage.

I was like 'OwwwKay...he's god.'

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    Massive REM fan - another band that stayed close to the top of their game for a long time. Stipe just has a really interesting voice. Pretty pleased that they decided to retire though before declining too much. More bands should do that.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72306
    I think there are great songs on every album - including Around The Sun, which I know I'm unusual in liking, but I really do (Leaving New York and The Outsiders are two of my favourites).

I could just just as easily have made my top five Fables Of The Reconstruction, Green, Automatic For The People, Monster and Accelerate.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein